Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 PM

557 posts, read 736,999 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone., I am thinking about switching services. I have fourteen years in the Coast Guard Reserve and currently commute to drill every other month 355 miles. There is an AFB approximately 25 miles from my house. I am currently an E-6 and would drop back to an E-5 and no one is able to tell me how long it would take to put my E-6 back on. Also most of the jobs I looked at there are no positions available near me for now. The recruiter wants to put me in a fleet manager job for now and said I can change later. I want to do something in intelligence and might switch my rate in the Coast Guard to that. I heard AFR reserve intell is hard to get into. The Coast Guard is broke right now and opportunities for training and active duty are barely nothing. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider View Post
Hey everyone., I am thinking about switching services. I have fourteen years in the Coast Guard Reserve and currently commute to drill every other month 355 miles. There is an AFB approximately 25 miles from my house. I am currently an E-6 and would drop back to an E-5 and no one is able to tell me how long it would take to put my E-6 back on. Also most of the jobs I looked at there are no positions available near me for now. The recruiter wants to put me in a fleet manager job for now and said I can change later. I want to do something in intelligence and might switch my rate in the Coast Guard to that. I heard AFR reserve intell is hard to get into. The Coast Guard is broke right now and opportunities for training and active duty are barely nothing. Any advice would be appreciated.
The way the Air Force reserve and the guard work is you need to find a unit that does intel work. Most units have a specific mission.

As far as advancement it works this way you'll more than likely go in drill a few months then leave to tech school. Your school will be about 6 months in length. When you finish school you'll be a 3 level, then you'll receive your career development books and after completing them you'll be award your 5 level. At this point you'll be in about a year to 18 months. When a E-6 slot opens in your unit depending upon your time and participation level you can advance. Also their is a political element involved sometimes.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Does your time in grade clock start all over again? My guess is that you would retire (after 20 yrs total) from the USAFR as an E-6.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:18 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Does your time in grade clock start all over again? My guess is that you would retire (after 20 yrs total) from the USAFR as an E-6.
I think it is a bit more complicated:

Quote:
Reserve retirement is sometimes called non-regular retirement. Members who accumulate 20 or more years of qualifying service are eligible for reserve retirement when they reach age 60 or, in some cases, a lesser qualifying age. There are two non-disability retirement plans currently in effect for reserve qualified retirees. These are Final Pay plan, High-36 Month Average plan. There is no REDUX retirement plan under non-regular (reserve) retirement.
FROM: OSD Military Compensation (militarypay.defense.gov)

Old 06-28-2013, 12:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider View Post
I've been out of the Guard for eons but most of CG intelligence would most likely be based in either DC, at the Intelligence Coordination Center, or one of the major bases like Miami, Clearwater Fl, New York or San Diego so depending on where you are, your commute may be much further than 355 miles.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:43 PM

142 posts, read 677,339 times
To add to Bellhead's post:

There are a few AF reserve units with intel missions, but you'd have to find them and hope they're close to your home. If not, you can attach to an active-duty intel-unit as an IMA (Individual Mobility Augmentee). However, IMA billets may be difficult to locate due to the military draw down.

And whether you switch rating while in the Coast Guard or after joining the AF, depending on which intel-field you switch to, the school length ranges from 6- to 24- months. Include that time-away from home and work in your calculus.

As for promotions, they are dependent upon billet availability and some politicking.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:50 PM

24,292 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoua1 View Post
To add to Bellhead's post:

There are a few AF reserve units with intel missions, but you'd have to find them and hope they're close to your home. If not, you can attach to an active-duty intel-unit as an IMA (Individual Mobility Augmentee). However, IMA billets may be difficult to locate due to the military draw down.

And whether you switch rating while in the Coast Guard or after joining the AF, depending on which intel-field you switch to, the school length ranges from 6- to 24- months. Include that time-away from home and work in your calculus.

As for promotions, they are dependent upon billet availability and some politicking.
IMAs are one of the easiest positions to draw down. At my last assignment before retiring we had three in our allocation as a active/Guard/Reserve mix of USAF and Army positions. They're all gone now, victims of cuts, as well as personnel not willing to relocate to SW OK. However, they ARE quite cost effective, one just has to ask about their availability.

To the OP: Have you looked at the Tucson ANG (I assume Phoenix is your home). They have UAVs and a significant intel requirement at DM, plus the 162nd at TUS has a fairly robust intel shop. A lot of non-USAF personnel there, too.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:15 PM

557 posts, read 736,999 times
Yes Phoenix is my home, I am going to expand my search to Tucson Davis Monthan. My choices are Intell, Pavement and Construction, Command and Control for now for AFSC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues