Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 03:38 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsall View Post
A person should consider more than how much they are paid in their job or career. Extras matter and put a dollar value on it. Can you be easily laid off? Put a dollar value on that. Good working conditions? Put a dollar value on it. Upward mobility? Same thing...add it all up and then compare against other sectors, jobs, careers.
We are talking about the Military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 09:28 AM

862 posts, read 865,230 times
Like most myths their is some truth to it but it is largely in the past now. Before the all volunteer force the government saw no reason to pay market wages to attract people. Pay and conditions were well below their civilian equivalent. That started changing when the draft ended and the Armed Forces had to entice people to join voluntarily. By the 80s the military enjoyed competitive pay and benefits and few would say they were underpaid at that point. So ultimately it depends on when a person served whether they were underpaid or not. The perspective becomes muddied when different generations mix and the truth becomes obscured.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:00 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
All US servicemembers understand that a 20-year pension will give you 50% of your base-pay [in my case, base-pay was around one-third of my normal take home pay].

When I reached 20 years I was mandatory retired on that my 50% pension as an E6.

Last week my son arrived home. He served for 6 years, the Covid vaccine gave him cancer and he was medically retired. He is 100% disabled. As an E4 his pension is twice that of my pension.

I had no idea that a medical retirement is so much different from a High-Year-Tenure retirement.

* the DOD has noted a distinct increase in esophageal cancers soon after administration of the Covid vaccines. So the VA has already published a memo that they will automatically accept all esophageal cancer as service-connected, and they will fast-track the paperwork to get anyone with that cancer their 100% rating. [as compared to Agent Orange which took 20 years of petitioning].

* High-Year-Tenure is the DOD policy that governs how they decide which servicemembers have served too long, and need to be transferred to retirement.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:40 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
You have a source for this memo? My neighbor is an ENT doc that works with the VA and hasn’t heard of it.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You have a source for this memo? My neighbor is an ENT doc that works with the VA and hasn’t heard of it.
I subscribe to a couple of DOD feeds.

About two weeks ago, I received multiple news articles from the V.A. talking about it.

I am certain that if you google for V.A. news releases you should find it.

Old 03-19-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I subscribe to a couple of DOD feeds.

About two weeks ago, I received multiple news articles from the V.A. talking about it.

I am certain that if you google for V.A. news releases you should find it.
Nothing at all turned up in a search from 1/1/22 through today. Only one related to cancer was regarding environmental exposure.

Old 03-19-2022, 11:34 AM

I did find lots of links to thoroughly debunked stories claiming Covid vaccines and cancer. But thre are zero DOD or VA news releases for esophageal.

Old 03-19-2022, 11:55 AM

I found this one:

https://blogs.va.gov/VAntage/100788/...onnected-list/

It does not mention any vaccines though.

Old 03-19-2022, 05:57 PM

That’s directly linked to the burn pits in Iraq and Afghanistan.

You peaked my interest because I have Barrett’s esophagus, which can be a precursor to esophageal cancer.

Old 03-19-2022, 06:34 PM

I should have shared the articles when I first read them.

While serving in Afghanistan, my son had a dental appointment and they discovered tongue cancer. He was sent to Germany for his first surgery, and then to Bethesda for more surgeries and radiation therapy. After a year of physical therapy, the Army medical retired him. He will never speak clearly again, but he is once again able to eat solid foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues