Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:33 PM

628 posts, read 1,388,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Back in the 80s, I was at Fort Dix for a few weeks before my first husband left for Korea. It was a pigsty. Trash was everywhere. I remember being very disgusted by it. It was the opposite of my image of the military being clean and spit shine. I end up on a military base and it's a trash dump. Most notably, I remember going to a building on base for some purpose. In the corner of the room, there was a mountain of paper garbage without a garbage can. This was pile was over 3' high and twice as many feet in diameter.

So, yeah. I agree with everyone who says you're in for a rude awakening.
What awakening is that?~ O.o? Your premise and indeed the others' premise is based upon the assumption that I have said that the military is some kind of cleanly establishment of perfection, I never said any thing of the sorts and thus your premise fails.~

As to the rest of your post: then I may have my work cut out for me depending upon where I am stationed, don't I?~

Old 10-15-2013, 02:35 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
While in the military, I did not take out the trash or make trash, but I worked with a lot trash. What happens when your approached with that problem?

Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bznavyveteran View Post
I have been reluctant to comment until I learn a little more about your situation.
Have you completed boot camp?
What is your rate and rating?
Are you Active Duty or some program in the Reserves?
Are you married, got kids, pets, car payments, or school debt?
OP,

I think these questions are intended to get a better idea of what challenges you are facing. A prospective recruit or sailor fresh out of boot camp would get different advice than a ship's captain or a 20 year enlisted veteran.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I also think that participation in a large, bureaucratic government organization is going to come with more than a few rude awakening moments regarding the nature of waste. I'm not sure that the military lifestyle is going to be super compatible with your current philosophies on trash and waste. Might be food for thought, and you might need to reevaluate what you prioritize more highly, because I think there's going to be a lot in one that runs counter to the other. You also may find that crusading for green living may take up more of your time than the military allots for personal pursuits.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:39 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
My guess is if I was still a squad leader and had some clown tell me he was trying for a zero waste lifestyle in the Army, I'd put him on police call.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:50 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
OP, you might appreciate this story: U.S. Military Waste A Smoldering Afghan Health Issue

Old 10-15-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
OP,

I think these questions are intended to get a better idea of what challenges you are facing. A prospective recruit or sailor fresh out of boot camp would get different advice than a ship's captain or a 20 year enlisted veteran.
Originally Posted by bznavyveteran,

"I have been reluctant to comment until I learn a little more about your situation.
Have you completed boot camp?
What is your rate and rating?
Are you Active Duty or some program in the Reserves?
Are you married, got kids, pets, car payments, or school debt?"

I'm not sure how this will help, if you or any one else thinks that I am going to "abandon" my ideals and goals simply because I am a novice, then all of you have no idea who I am and what I am capable of.~

Never the less, if you think this will help, here are my details:

Like I already said in my first post, if you any of bothered to pay attention, I will put in bold the part you already should have read:

"Question Life Without Trash in the Military
I have some concerns about my future life in the Navy.~

I'm don't believe in the concept of 'trash' as it is an unnatural concept invented by Humanity.~

My goal is to live with out a 'trash can' at all.~

I'm concerned with my ability and effectiveness of achieving this in a military lifestyle.~

Already for my Future Navy Sailor standard issue items my T-Shirt, hat, and my water-bottle have all been each wrapped in these plastic packaging that has little use after ripping them too much.~ Ugh, such a waste of materials.~

Any helpful advice, thoughts, information, or suggestions would be appreciated.~ ^_^"

I am a Future Sailor in U.S.A. Navy, I am currently in DEP or Delayed Entry Program and ship out to Basic Training on February 13, 2014.~

My future ranking is E-3 for having an Associates Degree and my future rate is Aerographer's Mate: meteorological and oceanographic expert.~

My contract is for 4 years Active Duty and 4 years Reserves in the U.S.A. Navy.~

I am legally single with no plans of ever getting married, I would love to have kids some day in the far future but I wouldn't mind if it never happened, I'm against the treatment of "pets" as property, and I have no financial obligations.~

Old 10-15-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
OP, you might appreciate this story: U.S. Military Waste A Smoldering Afghan Health Issue
Unfortunately, when it comes to the "news" we can never be sure of ALL the FACTS as the "news" just LOVES to paint things in a picture of excitement and they often leave out IMPORTANT details to accomplish this.~

Never the less, this is unacceptable if it 100% true.~

This is a disgrace on the name of the United States of America and all of our technological progress and prowess!~

If I am ever to encounter an issue such as this in my future, then I will be sure to research ALL the FACTS BEFORE I act, but make no mistake I will NOT "ignore" some thing like this!~

Thank you for sharing that, haggardhouseelf!~ ^_^

Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,081 times
You remind me of the types that get booted after a year for failing to adapt.

Take this for what it's worth. No one gives a crap what your ideals are. You're going to do what your told.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:44 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
but make no mistake I will NOT "ignore" some thing like this!~
Suuuure you won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues