Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 03:23 PM

66 posts, read 180,099 times

Advertisements

Fast facts:

Dropped a 4187 for early release IAW AR 635-200 for school.....16 WEEKS AGO!

Current ETS is 13 April 2014

School begins on 5 January 2014

In my 4187 Im requesting a ETS date adjustment to 13 January 2014

Its taken 16 weeks of pulling teeth to get my 1SG to pass it to my Company Commander, then to the BN Commander, who just passed it to the BDE Commander last week. The BDE commander won't pass it to the General for approval because its "missing documents" (according to my S1)

Except, when I ask S1 which documents are missing (there arent any), they say they dont know, and "go talk to bde legal"

So I go to BDE legal, and the people there tell me theres no documents missing, but that AR 635-200 only grants a 30 day adjustment, and the rest has to be made up with my transitional leave.

NO WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT. It clearly states: Soldiers may be discharged or released from active duty....up to 90 days before ETS, to attend a specific term at college, university...."

Thats it. Its crystal clear. But I have this SFC in Legal telling me "thats not how Im interpreting it".

This is now in the 17th week. I am supposed to be moving in 30 days to Colorado with my family to transition. This unit has fought me tooth and nail and lost paperwork, made excuses, taken their time, and thrown obstacle over obstacle at me. Not once has anyone thought "how can we make this work?". Instead, its "how can we make this not work".

I have met all the requirements according to the instructions inside AR 635-200. I have submitted all the required documents. The approval authority isnt even the BDE, its the General above him - who I know for a fact just signed 2 of these just last week that came from another unit - structured exactly like mine.

I don't know where to turn to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 04:25 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
If everything you say is accurate, your local Inspector General...

Old 10-15-2013, 05:58 PM

66 posts, read 180,099 times
Poncho,

I just informed my chain of command that I will be taking that step tomorrow if I get this nonsense from BDE legal again. We are now in the 17th week and I am running out of time.

According to a US Army Commander's Guide, these are the guidelines for AR 635-200, 5-17

CHAPTER 5-17: EARLY SEPARATION TO FURTHER EDUCATION

Soldiers may be discharged or released from active duty for the convenience of the Government, up to 90 days before ETS, in order to attend a specific term at a college, university, vocational school, or technical school. However, soldiers serving their initial enlistment of less than 3 years are ineligible for separation under this chapter. IAW para. 5-17, AR 635-200, to qualify for early separation, eligible soldiers must:

1. Not be mission essential to their assigned organization, as determined by their immediate commanders.

2. Clearly establish that the specific school term for which they seek early separation is academically the most opportune time for them to begin or resume their education, and that delay of school enrollment until normal ETS would cause undue personal hardship.

3. Provide a statement from an appropriate school official (for example, a registrar or director of admissions) indicating acceptance for enrollment (as opposed to enrollment on a stand-by basis, or enrollment on a probationary status) in a full-time resident course of instruction.

4. Show that they are able to pay, or have already paid, any school entry fees.

This chapter action is processed at the unit level. This chapter is requested by the soldier on a DA Form 4187 which is forwarded through the chain of command for action by the Garrison Commander or USDB Commandant.

1-18 counseling Required: No (1-18a)

Medical Required: No (1-34a)

Mental Required: No (1-34b)

Approval Authority: Garrison Commander or USDB Commandant (1-21c(l))

Type of Discharge Authorized: Honorable or General, Under Honorable Conditions (5-la)

Documents Required for Chapter:

( ) DA Form 4187 from soldier (See example - Appendix J). The DA Form 4187 will be approved/disapproved by the Company Commander and forwarded through the chain of command by endorsement to the approval authority. The intermediate commander(s) will either disapprove the request or recommend approval and if recommending approval, will specify which characterization of discharge is appropriate, either Honorable, or General, Under Honorable Conditions.

( ) Statement from soldier informing chain of command of the reasons why they should approve request to leave the military 90 days before the scheduled ETS date.

( ) Affidavit or statement from school registrar or director of admissions stating that soldier is enrolled as a full time student. If affidavit shows that soldier is enrolled on a stand-by basis or enrolled in a probationary status, chapter cannot be approved and soldier will have to wait for normal ETS before attending school.

( ) Financial evidence (i.e., enrollment receipts, bank statement) which demonstrate that the soldier can or already has paid for any school entry fees.

( ) Education benefits counseling (Appendix C)

( ) Debt avoidance counseling (Appendix D)

( ) DA Form 2A

( ) DA Form 2-l or ERB

I have met every single one of these requirements and fall within every guideline. There is no mention of including leave or proving that certain classes are only available during certain semesters, etc. These are all things that they just fling around because they've heard it and/or they are confused. I have deployed, never been in trouble, and have given my all to this unit and in 5 years I only ask for help with one issue and I am being resisted with nonsense. And this type of behavior makes me feel so much better about not reenlisting. Which is unfortunate, because I really do love the Army and my mission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues