Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:50 AM

628 posts, read 1,383,702 times

Advertisements

I have some concerns about my future life in the Navy.~

I'm don't believe in the concept of 'trash' as it is an unnatural concept invented by Humanity.~

My goal is to live with out a 'trash can' at all.~

I'm concerned with my ability and effectiveness of achieving this in a military lifestyle.~

Already for my Future Navy Sailor standard issue items my T-Shirt, hat, and my water-bottle have all been each wrapped in these plastic packaging that has little use after ripping them too much.~ Ugh, such a waste of materials.~

Any helpful advice, thoughts, information, or suggestions would be appreciated.~ ^_^

Old 10-14-2013, 01:15 AM

595 posts, read 2,694,276 times
What?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:15 AM

7,469 posts, read 6,186,867 times
You are thinking too much. Someone will tell you everything you need to know for awhile.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:31 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,471,286 times
In, '74, I was a young, idealistic Airman that wanted to go through life without owning a car. When I realized that few women would also want to live that way, I quickly changed my thinking...

Old 10-14-2013, 08:42 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,764,956 times
Living totally trash-free is going to be quite difficult in the Navy. You'd do best to follow the reduce, reuse, recycle idea. Some things can be recycled - the plastic bags may be. Probably not a lot of good uses for used plastic wrapping. Some things are going to have to be thrown out. Your goal could be to keep that amount as small as possible.

Want to follow your ideals and score some brownie points at the same time? Offer to start up (or keep going) a recycling program in your unit. Look for ways to reduce waste and put those ideas forward.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,994,194 times
You'll be taking out the trash (literally) for the first couple years.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Living totally trash-free is going to be quite difficult in the Navy. You'd do best to follow the reduce, reuse, recycle idea. Some things can be recycled - the plastic bags may be. Probably not a lot of good uses for used plastic wrapping. Some things are going to have to be thrown out. Your goal could be to keep that amount as small as possible.

Want to follow your ideals and score some brownie points at the same time? Offer to start up (or keep going) a recycling program in your unit. Look for ways to reduce waste and put those ideas forward.
Thank you very much, this is the first constructive response of any kind I have ever received for asking this question.~ ^_^

Don't worry about 'too difficult' for me, if I quite every time some thing was 'difficult' I would have never joined any thing military in the first place!~ ^_^

My motto is, "A good soldier is always prepared and NEVER GIVE UP!"~ ^_^

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 10-14-2013 at 04:11 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 05:19 PM

193 posts, read 403,173 times
I have been reluctant to comment until I learn a little more about your situation.
Have you completed boot camp?
What is your rate and rating?
Are you Active Duty or some program in the Reserves?
Are you married, got kids, pets, car payments, or school debt?

Old 10-14-2013, 05:43 PM

499 posts, read 2,151,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
My motto is, "A good soldier is always prepared and NEVER GIVE UP!"~ ^_^
Except of course you won't be a Soldier in the Navy. You'll be a Sailor.

I suppose I would ask this--- Does not producing trash offer you a salary with benefits? I'm trying to imagine any line of work that doesn't produce trash. If your metric to determine a compatible profession (or job) for you is trash production, you might need to look at being self employed.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
Except of course you won't be a Soldier in the Navy. You'll be a Sailor.

I suppose I would ask this--- Does not producing trash offer you a salary with benefits? I'm trying to imagine any line of work that doesn't produce trash. If your metric to determine a compatible profession (or job) for you is trash production, you might need to look at being self employed.
If you are military, you are in some sense of the word a "soldier", not exactly "a fighter always", but you ARE A PART of the effort to help and support the military in its' objective: to support and defend the constitution of the United States of America and to protect our country from her enemies, to name a few.~

I don't see living a life without trash as incompatible with any job, especially within a military job, in fact I think the military would receive one the greatest benefits of utilizing every piece of material they have while maintaining a "zero-waste" policy: it would make them far more efficient and adaptable.~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.