Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:41 PM

6 posts, read 24,939 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm a physics/math double major (Bachelor of Science), and over the last year I've really been warming up to the idea of joining the military. I don't know which branch, exactly, though I'd favor the Air Force if I had a choice. However, if I understand the rules, I am too old. I'm turning 30 next year, and when I graduate, I will be a few months shy of 31. I have read about joining up as an officer that the age limit is 34. However, because I live in the middle of nowhere and I have no recruiter to speak to, I don't know if the 34 age limit applies to people already in the Air Force, or if it means that I can still join with my science/math double major degree if I pass all the other requirements for becoming an officer (which I do not imagine is easy, not in the least).

If the Air Force is no longer an option for me, I'd think I'd favor the Navy, as some of my uncles and my grandfather were in the Navy. But I don't know. Wherever I go, I want to be using my expertise as a scientist in some capacity. I'm very flexible and not so choosy about what job I end up with, so long as it doesn't ignore everything I worked so hard to become these past few years (a scientist). It's not that there's anything wrong with being a cook in the military, but I might as well remain a civilian and find a science career out here somewhere, if I end up spending eight years ignoring my skills. I am very good at what I do (I'm not bragging, just saying). It would just feel miserable for me to end up like that, to have worked so hard to get to where I am, just to not get to do it in the end.

Physically, I'm perfectly fine (long-distance running is a thing for me, and also I am a dancer, which keeps me strong). I have also been doing heavy weightlifting for the last year (which gets me some interesting looks from the guys when they see a woman deadlift nearly as much weight as they just did). Vision is 20/20, and the only health problems are some mild seasonal allergies. I have the rare, occasional migraine, but it is controlled by medication.

Help? Any suggestions? Does anyone know if I'm totally out of the running for the Air Force for good? (I know it's supposed to be super competitive anyway, so...) I am very uncertain about a lot of these things, so any advice would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by carolstar; 11-04-2013 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: adding extra information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 07:28 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
The Air Force age limit is 34, and we do have positions for mathematicians and physics degrees. I would call a recruiter! In fact, you'd be considered a "technical" line officer, and those selection rates are very high.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:44 AM

595 posts, read 2,702,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
The Air Force age limit is 34, and we do have positions for mathematicians and physics degrees. I would call a recruiter! In fact, you'd be considered a "technical" line officer, and those selection rates are very high.
Go for it!! I would definitely call a recruiter!! With those qualifications you sound like you'd be a great candidate for an officer. Good Luck!!!

Old 11-04-2013, 11:51 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
Middle of nowhere so you can't get your questions answered? Pick up the phone or email an officer recruiter, this isn't the 1800's.

As a former recruiter I can tell you that you are not too old but there are many other things that need to be discussed with a recruiter to see if you're a viable candidate.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:51 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Middle of nowhere so you can't get your questions answered? Pick up the phone or email an officer recruiter, this isn't the 1800's.

As a former recruiter I can tell you that you are not too old but there are many other things that need to be discussed with a recruiter to see if you're a viable candidate.
What he said.

The Navy has Sub Nuke/Surface Nuke and SWO and they prefer technical degrees. However, with the cutbacks it's very hard to get into OCS. The selection rate is around 15%.

There's a lot more to it but I'd contact a recruiter.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:54 PM

6 posts, read 24,939 times
Thank you, everyone. I have a few unresolved fears about the process (the unknown, and all), and I guess that's been holding me back from actually contacting a recruiter. I am worried about wasting his time, so to speak, heh.

As far as being an officer goes, that's not really something I'm dead set on. I'm not looking to join up for glory or rank or something like that. It's not about money, either, because there are jobs in the private sector that will take me right out of college and I'd be making good money, too. What I want to do is to be of good use, to be valuable. Combine that with my love of my country, and I am hoping the military could perhaps put my sciencey talents to good use. Whether that's as an officer or as a basic enlisted solider/airman/sailor, my desire is to do something that has meaningful and will make some kind of a difference.

The private sector can offer me money, but it can't offer me very much contentment in a job well done, because everything I'd be doing would be do make someone else filthy rich. I feel like that military can use my abilities for something that would actually help the country.

All that being said, I have a lot of respect for the military, and at times feel that I might not measure up to it. I am smart enough to "do math and science," but that doesn't necessarily mean I am good enough for the military. That bit of self-doubt has kept me from getting in touch with a recruiter, I guess... combined with the excuse that I still have some schooling left to finish.

Thank you again, everyone, for your kind words and encouragement (and an appropriate kick in the tail to just find a recruiter already).

Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,508 times
I can tell you right now that if that is what you are looking for (feeling like you are contributing to something more than yourself.) Then chances are you will find it in the military. I have found it in my civilian career because I'm a Hygienist and enjoy teaching people the importance of their oral health. But I definitely found it when I was Active Duty AF. That esprit de corps is not usually found in the Civilian world and IMHO is definitely unique to the military world.

Also, give yourself some credit, completing a degree in math and science aren't easy things to do for many, many people. Buck up buttercup, call the Recruiter and just see what can be done! And you aren't wasting their time. That's their job. Better to get your answers direct from the source! It won't be an easy road, but nothing good ever came from something easy. ;-)

Old 11-05-2013, 05:41 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolstar View Post
Thank you, everyone. I have a few unresolved fears about the process (the unknown, and all), and I guess that's been holding me back from actually contacting a recruiter. I am worried about wasting his time, so to speak, heh.

Your tax dollars pay us to spend time answering your questions!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Default I can help you with this one

If this is the way you feel, let me share my own experience with you.

I was direct commissioned as a WAC in 1976 and was integrated into the Army as an Ordnance Office in 1977. I loved it. Leading troops, managing logistics, and the responsibility of caring for soldiers were all great but I received a job offer from a major company and took it. It was hard to turn down the money and glamour of (it was a non defense company) industry.

I did NOT like working for the profit centered motive at the core of the company (although I understood it from a business point of view and enjoyed the work itself) and came to the conclusion that I have more of a service oriented mentality.

Then the Army called me and asked me if I would agree to a voluntary recall. I agreed and 30+ years later, I am still with the Army as a support contractor. Soon to retire for good.

I couldn't be happier the way my life has turned out professionally- on the whole.

So if you have a service oriented mentality then look into the military, non profit, or other Government service. There are lots of things you can do.

If you think you love what you do and are happy tinkering in a lab discovering stuff in whatever company may use your services, then look into that as well.

Either way is good, it is just what you think meets your heart's desire.

As I tell my kids, I don't care what you do for a living just follow your passion and marry a good person. (had to throw that one in)

Good luck

Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
I did 20 years on subs. With your background you sound like a good 'nuclear-trained' officer candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues