Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 05:11 PM

8 posts, read 12,075 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I'm brand new here. I registered because I'm worried about my son-in-law. He recently graduated from AF Reserves Boot Camp with honors. He just started tech school and today he couldn't climb the ladder - he's terrified of heights and just couldn't do it. He sent my daughter a tech that they're kicking him out. I totally get that if he can't do what they ask, then that's that. It seems harsh, but it is the military and there's no babying for sure. Is this really grounds for a discharge? No second chances? We haven't heard from him in hours. He's done everything to this point perfectly. He doesn't party, he's more than respectful, and was so grateful to be there. I feel horrible. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 05:25 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Dear Mom

Relax

he knows what he needs to do. Unless things have changed they will give him extra training and he can try again.

If that is all it is.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Dear Mom

Relax

he knows what he needs to do. Unless things have changed they will give him extra training and he can try again.

If that is all it is.

Thank you so very much for replying. My SIL sent my daughter a text hours ago saying something to the effect of "I couldn't climb the ladder, they're going to discharge me" and then nothing since. Maybe they were just trying to scare him? (And us!).

Old 12-11-2013, 07:13 PM

You were right, they're not discharging him. He has to try again in 9 days. He has to climb up a 20' ladder on a airplane hanger, turn around 3 times while looking down....... They should have just sent him home today, he'll never do it. He can't. I can relate......

Old 12-11-2013, 07:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Training is designed to place members under stress. He is under a lot of stress... We really don't know the whole story. If he made it through Boot Camp, he most likely could make it through Tech School. Just hang in there, hopefully it will turn out. He just needs to work through ir.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:00 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSMom View Post
You were right, they're not discharging him. He has to try again in 9 days. He has to climb up a 20' ladder on a airplane hanger, turn around 3 times while looking down....... They should have just sent him home today, he'll never do it. He can't. I can relate......
Or he conquers his fear and gets it done. He has another chance. I sincerely hope he does it and finishes. Tell him it's the quickest way to get out of tech school.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:03 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
I'm sorry, but when he went to MEPS they would have asked him if he was afraid of heights. If he would have said "Yes" then he would not have been this job. The reason a discharge happens is because what other choice do we have not? If we gave him a different job, then people could just fake a fear of heights if they changed their mind about the job. He should have disclosed it at MEPS. Guarnetee he said he was not afraid of heights at MEPS. 20 feet is NOT that high. He needs to get over, or he probably will be discharged. He has a choice.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:13 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
When I was selected for Aircraft Maintenance, I hadn't given "fear of heights" much thought. But the first time I encountered the crew ladder on an F-4 fighter jet, I had butterflies in my stomach. But I put my fears aside and tried it and it got easier each time I did it. Pretty soon I was climbing all over aircraft like I was some kind of "All Purpose Gorilla"! (a play on the type of mechanic we were called us at one time; "airplane general or "APG) Best of luck to your son-in-law!

Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
If he has to do it he has to do it. He has to weigh the consequences. That being said time will tell. What kind of discharge is he looking at?

Old 12-23-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm sorry, but when he went to MEPS they would have asked him if he was afraid of heights. If he would have said "Yes" then he would not have been this job. The reason a discharge happens is because what other choice do we have not? If we gave him a different job, then people could just fake a fear of heights if they changed their mind about the job. He should have disclosed it at MEPS. Guarnetee he said he was not afraid of heights at MEPS. 20 feet is NOT that high. He needs to get over, or he probably will be discharged. He has a choice.
Hi Everyone, and thank you so very much for all your replies. I really appreciate it. He did tell them he was afraid of heights at MEPS, it's documented on a questionare he took. A liasion has stepped in (please excuse my lack of titles, lingo here). My SIL graduated with honors and got a 97 on that test that take (can't remember the name), and he also answered yes, that he was afraid of heights, before he was assigned airplane mechanic. Since I've written here, they've given him a verbal that they found another course/class he can get into. Actually it's in a text message from his recruiter. That was/is great news, but of course since then.....nothing. That was about 5 days ago. I'm sure the holiday's has something to do with it, but limbo is hard through Christmas. He is very grateful for any effort being made, but worried the "verbal" may fall through. So for now, he's doing 12 hour security shifts and just waiting. I sure have a lot of respect for you military folks....it's not easy! Happy holiday's to all of you and yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues