Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 03:04 PM

6 posts, read 16,791 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm in need of some serious advice on applying for a moral waiver for AROTC. Please be respectful, as it's been really tough for me to even talk about what's happened (you'll understand).

Short story:
I was charged with 3 misdemeanors — 2 counts of communicating obscene material, 1 count of computer crime under $1000 --earlier this March. Please understand that none of these misdeeds were motivated by malicious intentions. I was sexually violated and traumatized by another college student 3 years ago, and I’d been bottling all of it up ever since, and this eventually led me to DESPERATELY seek out help in a very unhealthy way (as you can already tell). However, the prosecutor spoke to me, and after I explained everything to him (I was totally honest) he understood my motives and said, “you need help, not punishment.” He then dropped all 3 charges unconditionally and had my record expunged, and just told me "get help, son." He did so because he saw that I’m a bright kid with a bright future.

I went through 3 months of thorough cognitive therapy, and it honestly saved my life. It helped me cope with the trauma that plagued me for 3 years.

Do I need a waiver? I have 1) a letter of support from the prosecutor, 2) CAN get a letter of support from an AFROTC commander at my college, 3) outstanding academic record (my commander said I would've been the smartest AFROTC cadet here), 4) NO prior civil involvements…with anyone; I’ve always been a goody-two-shoes.

Because my charges were non-violent, not motivated by bad intentions (just a very unhealthy, desperate cry for help), and are not drug/alcohol related, and were dropped unconditionally, do I have a chance at getting a waiver from AROTC?

In short:
- only penalty was suspension from college for 1 semester (so that I could get counseling/help and focus on getting better)
- no conviction/adjudicate or any pretrial program
- charges are classified as "misdemeanors" by Army standards; not anything crazy like a serious criminal misconduct
- not DV, not drugs, not alcohol
- have been completely honest
- have areas of support (rec letters)
- outstanding GPA and majors

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 03:19 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,350,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiken View Post
Hi all, I'm in need of some serious advice on applying for a moral waiver for AROTC. Please be respectful, as it's been really tough for me to even talk about what's happened (you'll understand).

Short story:
I was charged with 3 misdemeanors — 2 counts of communicating obscene material, 1 count of computer crime under $1000 --earlier this March. Please understand that none of these misdeeds were motivated by malicious intentions. I was sexually violated and traumatized by another college student 3 years ago, and I’d been bottling all of it up ever since, and this eventually led me to DESPERATELY seek out help in a very unhealthy way (as you can already tell). However, the prosecutor spoke to me, and after I explained everything to him (I was totally honest) he understood my motives and said, “you need help, not punishment.” He then dropped all 3 charges unconditionally and had my record expunged, and just told me "get help, son." He did so because he saw that I’m a bright kid with a bright future.

I went through 3 months of thorough cognitive therapy, and it honestly saved my life. It helped me cope with the trauma that plagued me for 3 years.

Do I need a waiver? I have 1) a letter of support from the prosecutor, 2) CAN get a letter of support from an AFROTC commander at my college, 3) outstanding academic record (my commander said I would've been the smartest AFROTC cadet here), 4) NO prior civil involvements…with anyone; I’ve always been a goody-two-shoes.

Because my charges were non-violent, not motivated by bad intentions (just a very unhealthy, desperate cry for help), and are not drug/alcohol related, and were dropped unconditionally, do I have a chance at getting a waiver from AROTC?

In short:
- only penalty was suspension from college for 1 semester (so that I could get counseling/help and focus on getting better)
- no conviction/adjudicate or any pretrial program
- charges are classified as "misdemeanors" by Army standards; not anything crazy like a serious criminal misconduct
- not DV, not drugs, not alcohol
- have been completely honest
- have areas of support (rec letters)
- outstanding GPA and majors

Thank you so much!
You probably will need a waiver based on the arrest. 'Expunged', to the Army, does not have the same meaning as actually not guilty. The arrest itself is prima facie evidence something happened. Whether the ROTC PMS supports it depends, bluntly, on the program numbers at that college (number of cadets they have to produce and number they actually have on hand). If they are easily making mission in your year, it's not likely to be supported. If they are still filling that year, it would most likely be supported as long as you were otherwise qualified. Much of it will depend on your candor with the PMS on what happened, why, and why it has no chance of happening again.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
You probably will need a waiver based on the arrest. 'Expunged', to the Army, does not have the same meaning as actually not guilty. The arrest itself is prima facie evidence something happened. Whether the ROTC PMS supports it depends, bluntly, on the program numbers at that college (number of cadets they have to produce and number they actually have on hand). If they are easily making mission in your year, it's not likely to be supported. If they are still filling that year, it would most likely be supported as long as you were otherwise qualified. Much of it will depend on your candor with the PMS on what happened, why, and why it has no chance of happening again.
Someone on another forum told me that I didnt because the army considers dropped unconditionally as not guilty...but I guess I got my hopes up for nothing then. What exactly is PMS? I went through the same process in Air Force ROTC, and even though the commander 100% had my back, it was ultimately disapproved. What would be the best options from here on out?

Old 11-16-2016, 03:59 PM

Go see the Army recruiting officer at the ROTC program you want to join. Tell them everything. The issue, and why I hesitate to say 'you're clear' is the use of the term 'expunged' in the same explanation as 'dropped'. The arrest will still show, expungement or not, and that's what you're getting a waiver for. Trust me, if you truly need no waiver and are what hey are looking for that recruiting officer will let you know (easier on them). Note you will not likely be immediately offered a contract-just a chance to participate and prove you deserve a contract spot.

PMS is the Army officer in charge of the program-Professor of Military Science.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:05 PM

I did, and he said that I'll need a waiver for each charge, even though he understood my situation. From your expertise, what would be my best plan to obtain the waivers? This was truly an unfortunate incident that I had a hard time controlling, and I just so desperate want to do AROTC now.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I did, and he said that I'll need a waiver for each charge, even though he understood my situation. From your expertise, what would be my best plan to obtain the waivers? This was truly an unfortunate incident that I had a hard time controlling, and I just so desperate want to do AROTC now.
Simple: walk in, see the Recruiting Officer, tell him or her you truly want to participate, and reveal-early in the conversation-the charges and circumstances.

They will walk you through the process, but it will probably involve a letter explaining what happened. Be honest, open, upfront, and thorough. Don't lay the blame elsewhere. Show remorse and simply explain what happened. Honesty is 95% of the battle in these cases.

The wavier request will go to the authority that can grant it (it's probably NOT the PMS, but someone higher). If the PMS does support it (they don't grant it-but they get asked 'do you want this individual in your program?'), and it can legally be granted, it stands a good chance.

Again, a lot depends on the numbers of THAT program. If they are 10 Cadets short in your year, you will get a lot of support. If they are already over production, there is not a lot of point to adding one more.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:26 PM

Thank you for your response. I got a lot of support from the AFROTC PMS when I applied for a waiver there, but it still didnt go through, so I'm really worried about this one.

And yes, I've already written a full affidavit and statement expressing so much remorse, you wouldnt believe it. I even have a letter from the prosecutor himself, and he literally says he believes in my "good character" and KNOWS that I "showed tremendous remorse." I thought I'd have a good chance at AFROTC because this support seems very rare for this kind of situation. I still don't know why it was turned down; maybe the numbers.

Will the higherups above the PMS accept character references/recommendation letters like the prosecutor's and the AFROTC PMS'? I feel like those might give me a much higher chance. In other words, what documents could/should I bring to in-processing? As i reminder, no one has the original police records because of the expungement.

Also, is it true that Army is more likely than Air force to grant these waivers? I mean, considering my circumstances (again, NOT shifting blame), I think that a waiver would be more reasonable than not.

Another big question I had is: even though the worst event of my life happened relatively recently (almost a year ago now), because of the "special" circumstances of my case, does this look better than say a stupid mistake of smoking pot, DUI, underage drinking, violent crimes, B&E? Again, I was never under any malicious intent -- I have statements from the prosecutor to attest to that

Last edited by jaiken; 11-16-2016 at 04:48 PM..

Old 11-16-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your response. I got a lot of support from the AFROTC PMS when I applied for a waiver there, but it still didnt go through, so I'm really worried about this one.

And yes, I've already written a full affidavit and statement expressing so much remorse, you wouldnt believe it. I even have a letter from the prosecutor himself, and he literally says he believes in my "good character" and KNOWS that I "showed tremendous remorse." I thought I'd have a good chance at AFROTC because this support seems very rare for this kind of situation. I still don't know why it was turned down; maybe the numbers.

Will the higherups above the PMS accept character references/recommendation letters like the prosecutor's and the AFROTC PMS'? I feel like those might give me a much higher chance. In other words, what documents could/should I bring to in-processing? As i reminder, no one has the original police records because of the expungement.

Also, is it true that Army is more likely than Air force to grant these waivers? I mean, considering my circumstances (again, NOT shifting blame), I think that a waiver would be more reasonable than not.

Another big question I had is: even though the worst event of my life happened relatively recently (almost a year ago now), because of the "special" circumstances of my case, does this look better than say a stupid mistake of smoking pot, DUI, underage drinking, violent crimes, B&E? Again, I was never under any malicious intent -- I have statements from the prosecutor to attest to that
Probably the numbers. The Air Force to my observation has less trouble recruiting in ROTC than the Army.

Bring all those things (letters, etc.). None of it hurts.

For the numbers reason, waivers do tend to be granted more often. But it's honestly a school by school basis.

I honestly can't tell you what the likelihood is. All you can do is try.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:11 PM

Thank you for your advice. I really hope you dont think I'm a horrible person because of what happened; that's what I need to prove to HQ -- that I'm NOT a bad person, just someone who was traumatized badly, without shifting blame. I also have the burden of proving/showing that nothing like this will happen again.

Edit: does AFROTC cadet command or AROTC cadet command ever contact other people, such as the prosecutor, in my specific case? It might sound better if the prosecutor spoke directly to them instead of just a letter of support

Old 11-16-2016, 11:10 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,465,316 times
Don't expect fairness, consideration, or compassion. That is the distilled essence of my own ROTC experience, long ago. Expect callous treatment for the most part, probably by people who seem to be enjoying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues