Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:07 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times

Advertisements

Times change and policies change, so you really need to speak directly with recruiters. My experience is decades old, but back then it was very difficult for prior service to get back in; as soon as a recruiter found out I had a DD214 he lost all interest in me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanCarlson13 View Post
So I was in the Air Force in 2009, for about a year. I was honorably discharged due to tech school problems (mom had hospital troubles and I wasn't able to focus, causing me to fail out of training).
Everything is fine now with the personal problems that happened at the time.

Like I said, this was about 4-5 years ago. I am strongly considering going back into the Military, but either going Army or Navy active duty.

But the question is.. can I?
Like I said, I have an honorable discharge and it was due to training failure due to personal problems at the time. I am currently in school and don't really know what I want to do, but I do know I would like to join up again.

Anybody know if it would be difficult for me to join active duty Army or Navy?
I am 24 years old.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Jordan
My grandson is in Air Force,EMT training for RN,and is nervous about,he said 14,000 cuts.I heard many more.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:07 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Go try. Let us know what they say.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,565 times
just got out of the air force only one week ago but I want to now reenlist is it to late

Old 10-05-2014, 04:46 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Has been a long time since I was in the Army but as I recall (then) I could re enlist within 90 days and retain my old rank.

Now days best to talk with a recruiter...they would know.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:00 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Really, only recruiters can tell you since they get new lists all the time. Oct 1st started Fiscal Year 2015. New lists. Better move fast! They'll cut dirt bags first, I think.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:06 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,733 times
It's going to be nearly impossible to go Active Duty in any branch with anything other than a RE Code 1. Your best bet may be trying to join the Reserves, and then look for an Active Duty slot. All branches are still in the process of downsizing. Military personnel with minor performance or health issues are being booted from active duty every day. The top brass wants a larger Reserve force and smaller Active Duty. I don't see this trend changing anytime soon.

However, if you really want to go back to Active Duty keep on talking with different recruiters. Like others have mentioned, some recruiters are willing to help prior service individuals and others don't want anything to do with prior service. You just have to keep hitting up different recruiters at different stations. IMO, your only real chance at Active Duty is in the Army or Marines.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,356 times
I was discharged for a misunderstanding of being allergic to be stings. Got a 2C mostly my fault for saying anything but I was sick and wasn't thinking clearly. Due to the fact I had no proof that I was only allergic by skin reaction not trachea. But hey discharged me because one allergy test came up positive out of several insects. And it was the strongest injection. Clearly if I was so allergic I would have had allergy symptoms other than a skin reaction which I didn't. I know because I'm extremely allergic to pollen, watery eyes and such. That's what happened even when I got the allergy test. any way I was discharged from the AF in 08 tried to get bk in 09. Thinking of getting my code changes with my allergist notes. My doctor wrote me one but it would be better from my allergist. Due to the fact I'm not anaphylaxis to be stings but only getting swelling in the local area. They should change my code because I tried to tell them before I'm allergic but not anaphylaxis but I needed a doctors note. Hopefully they will change my code or I can get a waiver. Let you know what happens!!

Old 08-23-2015, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,896 times
startrek1983: I am 31 years ago on 2004 I joined us navy and was separated in april of 2005 I was discharged under other than honorable conditions and my separation code was hkl and reentry code of re-4 can I rejoin the navy or another branch....

Old 08-24-2015, 02:20 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
You should also consider the Miliary Sealift Command. Great pay and adventure. Give it a thought and best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues