Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 10:38 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
What I see more often than that is on tv whenever there's some super tough martial arts champion space marine type guy, he's always got a silly background like "four years in military intelligence" (that being one I've seen recently).

Just have to learn to laugh and move on.
Funny I can't think of a veteran soldier who was not a Ranger, a marine who was not Recon or a Scout/Sniper a sailor who was not a SEAL and a fighter pilot in recent memory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 11:04 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Unless it's specifically about a war hero or something, the military is almost always portrayed as useless. Especially if it's some kind of alien invasion or about some huge threat often the military is viewed as cannon fodder pretty much. Does it bother you how often they are portrayed as useless/infective? Any movie/tv show that you personally found offensive?

No, Black Hawk Down was portrayed exactly the way it was, Troopers, 75 Regiment Rangers, 160th Army Aviation Airborne NightStalkers, 10th Mountain Division, various other chalk's and Delta Shooters..

This much is fact.

The hardee Boys still came home. 19 Americans KIA, 1000 Skinney's.

This much is true. * I salute *

Knight

Last edited by Knightly Knight; 09-26-2014 at 11:15 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 11:10 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Unless it's specifically about a war hero or something, the military is almost always portrayed as useless. Especially if it's some kind of alien invasion or about some huge threat often the military is viewed as cannon fodder pretty much. Does it bother you how often they are portrayed as useless/infective? Any movie/tv show that you personally found offensive?
Comme ce, Comme ca.

Not always. Look at a 007 movie such as The Spy Who Loved Me, Diamonds are Forever, Moonraker, other flicks. Bond needs an army to help him save the day.

Or older Dr. Who with UNIT or the attack squad in "Earth Shock".

So, it just depends.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:03 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,251 times
Most movies are entertainment. In order to make something dramatic or comedic, some representations of people and organizations are often exaggerated.

I do not think the military is portrayed that more unfairly than other organizations.

One example is the movie "Air Force One" with Harrison Ford. In that movie it is the Secret Service that are made to look stupid. However, the Air Force pilots flying F15s successfully fight off MIGs, with one F15 pilot sacrificing himself and his plane to intercept a missile fired at Air Force One.

Another poster noted Black Hawk Down. You can not fault the bravery of our soldiers in that movie at all. I was particularly impressed by the two snipers who descended from the helicopter to try to help the crew of a another downed helicopter.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:40 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
One example is the movie "Air Force One" with Harrison Ford. In that movie it is the Secret Service that are made to look stupid. However, the Air Force pilots flying F15s successfully fight off MIGs, with one F15 pilot sacrificing himself and his plane to intercept a missile fired at Air Force One.
Except that that tanker explosion would not have happened in the real world (and I suspect a heck of a lot of tanker crews and especially boom operators howled in fury at that).

Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
........One example is the movie "Air Force One" with Harrison Ford......
Funny you should mention that movie.

There was a movie where the Agents sacrificed their lives to get him off the plane .................. and he throws them all the way to stay.

I turned off the movie at that point and never watched it willingly again (I think I saw other parts being polite company).

A and B.

A: Of course, there wouldn't have been much of a movie had he, the star, gotten off the airplane.

B: It does rather disgust me that we make such a movie which portrays a man as a hero when he cares little for the lives assigned to protect him.

At best, it is like the movie "The Green Berets"; if such scenes are going to be shown like that, (in TGB, Colonel Kirby taking the prize in the Citroen and abandoning his troops who are mowed down by the enemy), then it is better not to have actors like Ford or Wayne in the lead but a rather an unknown for such scenes don't shine well on their stardom.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:46 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
In the current TV Show, The Last Ship, I'm amazed at how all the sailors are seal quality fighters. Back in my day we were just trained to push buttons to make things go boom.. The Jarheads on board did all that hero stuff... We got out of the way... Except in bars.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:13 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
No, Black Hawk Down was portrayed exactly the way it was, Troopers, 75 Regiment Rangers, 160th Army Aviation Airborne NightStalkers, 10th Mountain Division, various other chalk's and Delta Shooters..

This much is fact.

The hardee Boys still came home. 19 Americans KIA, 1000 Skinney's.

This much is true. * I salute *

Knight
While I agree about Black Hawk Down, not all movies portray troops or the military in a positive light.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I think when the mobs are turned loose on us the cops don't stand a chance only the military can stop them Katrina New Orleans would have been better handled by them
There are times when shooting an unarmed man makes great sense

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...d=0CCwQMygIMAg

Old 10-04-2014, 10:24 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
While I agree about Black Hawk Down, not all movies portray troops or the military in a positive light.
It's not often that a movie since the Gulf War has portrayed soldiers generically in a bad light. I can't think of one off hand.

"Evil unsympathetic government" is still a popular meme on both sides of the political spectrum, so a movie portraying the "combat-tortured soldier" is actually a kind of sympathetic treatment: He was not an instrument of harm until the evil government made him that way. Bad government!

Otherwise, the "military" is portrayed merely as a tool of the "evil, unsympathetic government."

But it's been rare that movies--well, maybe even since Vietnam--has portrayed being a soldier as a moral evil in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues