Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 06:22 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times

Advertisements

Working in the engine room of a navy ship, for more than a decade when we lost power at home, I'd jump out of bed ready to run.

Sometimes I'll encounter a smell that reminds me of a specific traumatic event. No "flashback", but the memories flood back.

My refrigerator is about 4 feet behind my recliner. Was nearly asleep in the recliner when my wife's soda exploded in the freezer. I dove to the floor and crawled to the bedroom to check on my wife thinking our home had been shot by a large caliber gun.

Thankfully, the most common event is productive. Extensive Navy firefighting training means every time in experienced a fire type event I didn't have to think, just react calmly and instantly while hearing in my head, "fire fire fire, class bravo fire in the engine room".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 08:30 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
Back in my military days I noticed a guy always sitting by himself drinking and never t a liking to anyone. Being who I am I went over and sat down and started knocking back some long necks chatting. All of a sudden he flips the table and starts yelling incoming. No one looked surprised.

The waitress told me whenever the drinks kick in he does that but he was basically harmless so they left him alone. So I righted the table and listened to his stories about his kids. After that I understood when people said war is hell. I can't imagine what he went through.

One good thing that did happen is after people saw me having a couple with him and just picking up the table more people sat and talked with him. What was odd was when there were people sitting across from him he wouldn't toss the table he would just yell incoming every now and then.. I don't think anyone asked him about his combat experiences. I forget his name but we did have some good times. He was given mad respect whenever he walked into the NCO Club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues