Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 PM

130 posts, read 133,627 times

Advertisements

With equality now would female officers prefer to be called Sir ? The problem with the term Ma'am is that it is very close to to royalty and the terms s used for them. A very simple solution would be to call all female officers Miss like our schools even if the teachers are married or not. So your view is what, keep with Ma' am clumsy though it is, or go to Miss ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaraka66 View Post
The problem with the term Ma'am is
There is no problem. Female U.S. military officers are called Ma'am or by their rank, ie, Captain Smith, Colonel Pratt etc...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-13-2014 at 09:57 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
With equality now would female officers prefer to be called Sir ? The problem with the term Ma'am is that it is very close to to royalty and the terms s used for them. A very simple solution would be to call all female officers Miss like our schools even if the teachers are married or not. So your view is what, keep with Ma' am clumsy though it is, or go to Miss ?
What country are you in?

Because teachers in the US are called Mrs. or Miss depending, or Ms. and even Ma'am....and the US military doesn't really worry about being mistaken for royalty.

One interesting example, though not military, is that females of officer rank in the New York Police Department are addressed as 'Sir'.

Last edited by ScarletG; 05-13-2014 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-13-2014, 10:11 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
There is no problem. Female U.S. military officers are called Ma'am or by their rank, ie, Captain Smith, Colonel Pratt etc...
I agree with you, Poncho, there is no problem.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:02 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Ma'am doesn't have any connotation of royalty is the U.S., nor am I aware of anyone finding the term clumsy. You have found a solution for a problem that does not exist.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:52 AM

391 posts, read 1,029,693 times
Well stated all. Trolling along the river...

Old 05-14-2014, 10:17 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
In the US, "sir" and "ma'am" have always been minor honorifics similar to "senor" and "senora" in Latin countries. Since there's is no royalty, there is no confusion. They are used in the military just as they are in civilian life, just more formally and frequently.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:52 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Have been called "Ma'am" and referred to as "The Ma'am" just as my male counterparts were called "Sir" or "The Old Man".

No problem

Old 05-14-2014, 04:31 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarian View Post
Well stated all. Trolling along the river...
In looking at the OPs past posts....they appear to be Australian and I don't think they are a troll per se...but they don't come back and reply to most posts they throw out there very often.

They do have a recurring them of a solution in search of a problem as this thread attests to. I am not sure that this is a problem in countries that have royalty.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:16 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
My old Blue-Jackets manual said that officers are called either 'sir' or by their rank.

Though I know that in many places officers will also be called by their title: 'Nav', 'Eng', 'Doc', 'Captain' [even when they are only a Cdr, though all on my Captains have been Captains], 'Weps', 'Chop' and 'Commo'.

I only addressed a female officer on a couple occasions during my career. I remember the first time I did, I called her 'sir'. She started to chew me out over it, she wanted me to correct myself. So I explained to her that the Blue-Jackets manual clearly states that she is to be addressed as either 'sir' or by her rank. She realized her error and she dropped the issue.

The second time that I addressed a female officer, was years later, I addressed her by her rank.

There are likely more female officers serving today, than there were during my Active Duty career. I imagine that serving now, for 20 years, you would likely bump into more than only 2 of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues