Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times

Advertisements

Best: Stationed in far away ports and duty stations in places I never thought I would go, serving with exceptional people doing a difficult job well.

Worst: When you draw a poor commander, and the PT tests. I am not a runner, and found it dumb to have to run all the time for training.
How the heck far can you run on a ship or a sub? The Navy isn't the Army, running won't get you away from trouble.

Anyway, it was one of the best experiences of my life. I would have stayed past my 8 years and been a lifer, but family needs took precedence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 05:11 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,336 times
Best: Going to a ton of different countries. Earning aircrew wings. Going to, and graduating from, Navy OCS.

Worst: Horrible leadership.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:21 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Lived in Southern Europe for over 2 years and pretty much hit a bucket lists of places to visit, museums, historical sites, food, and people. Understanding at a young age how to file papers, regulations, and red tape and how to exploit it for your own benefit by this I mean why you need to turn in this form to get this done oh you want to go to a school, can you site a regulation? etc. On the job training that leads to a very good middle class lifestyle.

Long ass hours in school, 8 hours of school + 2 hours study + duty every 4 days + company time = 14 hour day. ****ty leadership I had a PO2 who couldn't understand a simple duty swap chit and wonder why I wasn't there, he also signed it.

Unrealistic qualification timelines & duty days that interfered with my drinking and nightlife. Honestly if are within a 5 minute drive of the facility and it is manned by operators 24 x 7, why require people to sleep over night @ the facility? Just call them on the phone to come in and fix it.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:00 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
I think the worst time was the never ending watches underway and in port. The best were the great friends I made over the years.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:14 AM

30 posts, read 46,182 times
Saying that you're interested in joining and wanting to know the best and worst experiences, I think it's important for people to mention their rate or job they had. Since it kind of matters to how your daily routine will be or the type of environment you'll work in or the places you will most likely deploy to or get stationed at.
I'm an ET (electronics tech) almost 7 yrs. now. I joined in 2007 after high school. I'm in DC now, finishing my last bit of my enlistment.

Best Experiences:
-Travel: (Germany, Dominican Republic, Chile, Panama, Puerto Rico, and a lot of places in the continental USA like New Orleans, LA, Boston, MA, Miami, FL, Pensacola, FL, Sand Diego, CA, Virginia Beach, VA, Washington, DC, Fort Knox, Chicago, IL etc...
-Deployment to Iraq
-The technical training and experience I got and still working on
-The time spent as support in the Naval Special Warfare community. I got to shoot lots of guns, train with, and operate and maintain the communications equipment with them)
-Being able to take online college and have it paid for
-Finding my wife
-Lastly just wearing the uniform with pride

Worst Experiences:
-Being away from family back home
-constant travel (ironic) but it got exhausting. Looking back, I'm glad i had the chance to go to all these places even though it seemed like work at the time.
-Long working hours
-Shift work
-being on watch after working long hours
-Doing drills/exercises after working long hours
-The time spent being the new junior guy and cranking (mopping, cleaning, painting, chipping paint etc...)

Old 05-13-2014, 08:36 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
It sucked but I would do it again. I had some good times and met some good people. I got out in the 80s and still communicate with some people.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:22 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
I loved being in the Navy and still consider it one of the best decisions of my life (served in the '70s).

Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 AM

17,600 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Best-travel. Spent 8 years and saw many countries. Most I was happy to see. Not every ship will see a great many countries. Was lucky that my second ship was homeported in Gaeta, Italy. Travel experiences I enjoyed includes walking inside the pyramid in Giza Egypt, seeing the Sphinx, walking through the Rock of Gibraltar, walking the city of Barcelona, Venice Italy, Malta, Rhodes Greece, Athens Greece, Varna Bulgaria, Odessa Ukraine (city on the rise and now marred in conflict), and Jerusalem.

Worst-Working in the engine room was over 110 degrees with long hours. It also meant that you had to be on the ship at least 24 hours before going out to sea while other crew are still partying. It was also very dangerous working on old steam driven ships. Sleep was rare when at sea. Some of the countries we visited were heartbreaking. My ancestry is from France. Was excited to visit France until I got there. Went to Toulon, Monte Carlo (a principality of Monaco), and Nice. Their attitude was so horrible I vowed never to return to France. Even worse was seeing a beggar boy whose family had cut out his tongue to make him a better begger, an old man trying to sell his daughter, a teenager with deformed legs caused by the Communist police who broke his legs and prevented anyone from helping him, and the general life in muslim nations. If you offered me millions of dollars to spend a week in a muslim nation I wouldn't accept.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:16 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
I served in the US Army, but my best experience was courtesy of the US Navy on a troopship pulling 16 days of KP. I was going home after 15 months in Korea.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:54 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Best: The travel

Worst: Highlining with the Chilian Navy in 18 degree weather and 25 foot seas (DLG 17)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues