Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 02:41 PM

24 posts, read 48,146 times

Advertisements

And give me the discipline & confidence to succeed in life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 03:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Yes, possibly. If you qualify and if you sign up...

Old 05-15-2014, 04:05 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
The military will give you stability and a place where you can belong.

But I doubt it will make you a much more social person if you are naturally a loner and don't do too well with others.

You might even suffer and get anxiety if you get excluded in the clique forming because you are not funny or cool enough. If you are lucky they might drag you along but they might take advantage of you.

I married an introvert Navy guy and felt really bad for him when I noticed how he always got left out in everything. Took him longer to get promoted also.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:19 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
Not necessarily...the Army will only do what you allow it to do and what you chose to change about yourself. I knew many "shy, loner, nerds" that got eaten up by the system as they could/would not handle all the stress and group situations they were placed in. I also knew many that made an effort to change and took advantage of the opportunities to get out of their comfort zone and out of their "shell" and did outstanding.

The Army will not do it but may give you some opportunities for YOU to make these changes.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollargrab View Post
And give me the discipline & confidence to succeed in life?
doesnt cure shyness- if you're an introvert, you'll like stay that way - there are jobs in the military where introverts are likely to succeed better than others. Don't expect the military to adapt to your social skills, though.....and if you want to excel, you'll have to come out of your shell and perform.....leaders need to be able to talk to others, counsel, motivate - there are leadership courses provided as you get promoted, but you've got to do your part.

btw, there have been others who've posted the exact same question here - visit the search as they've gotten some good advice on how to succeed being a "shy nerd" -

If you have self esteem issues, you very well may be "changed" with successes. Once you max a physical fitness test, max a proficiency test, get some good efficiency reports, you very well may change your self perception and be less of a "loner, shy nerd"......

2-3 yrs enlistment could do a person good - and set you in the right direction for the rest of your life.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:34 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
It should give you some discipline and hopefully confidence, but that doesn't mean you are no longer going to be shy or an introvert.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:43 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,543 times
Why the Army, look at all 4 branches for the best fit... Plenty of Nerds in the military so you would be suprised, spent many a night playing D&D...

Old 05-15-2014, 07:54 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Why the Army, look at all 4 branches for the best fit... Plenty of Nerds in the military so you would be suprised, spent many a night playing D&D...
You left out the Coast Guard.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:04 PM

24 posts, read 48,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I want to be a lean, mean killing machine. So I want to go either Army infantry or Marines infantry. I dont play those stupid video games. Im just smarter than kids my age, I am ranked 12th out of 861 in my class. I swim, run 3 days a week... I dont want to spend another 4 years studying though, figure I'd join the military and my dad was an Army Ranger.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollargrab View Post
I want to be a lean, mean killing machine. So I want to go either Army infantry or Marines infantry. I dont play those stupid video games. Im just smarter than kids my age, I am ranked 12th out of 861 in my class. I swim, run 3 days a week... I dont want to spend another 4 years studying though, figure I'd join the military and my dad was an Army Ranger.
You do not have to go into the military for that, this has been proven numerous times throughout history.

The Army will not change you; this mistake is something way too many people make. What ever your social status is as a civilian, that is most likely what it is going to be in the military. You are not going to go from dorky boy in high school to the cool popular kid because of the Army; the military's social structure was just like high school to me. It is only after many years and breaking out of the lower rank scale does this eventually go away (and at the same time, you grow older).

What the military can do is amplify good (and bad) traits a person has. If you have great traits but external factors in the civilian world holding you back, the military can unleash this in you. Likewise, if you have bad traits, the military can just make these things worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues