Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:22 PM

40 posts, read 91,502 times

Advertisements

Hi there -

My husband and I are in the underwriting process of a loan right now and they wanted a specific DD214 from his service which we were able to obtain. It was faxed to us. Though it appears that boxes 25, 26 and 27 have been blacked out for some reason. The bank is asking why. I have no idea - I don't even know what would be in those boxes. They only wanted to see that my husband was honorably discharged which it clearly shows in box #24. Now I'm worried they are going to want something else and we are supposed to close next week - gahhhh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:48 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Box 25 is Separation Authority (what instruction he was separated under), block 26 is the separation code (code for actual reason for the separation), and block 27 is the reenlistment code (tells if he is eligible to reenlist or reenter the service). Are you sure it wasn't a copy machine, fax or scanner error that blacked them out? Block 27 and 26 could indicate a reason for discharge that a person doesn't want known even with a honorable discharge.

For example, in the past homosexuals were discharged and didn't want others to know why they were discharged and if you looked up the code in block 26 it would tell you that they were discharged for homosexual behavior. Block 24 still said honorable but they didn't want people to see the reason code. There are many different codes that someone may not want others to know. No idea if this is the case with your husbands dd214 just putting out that some people may want those blocks blacked out.

Either way, those blocks have nothing to do with getting a mortgage and are none of your mortgage companies business.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:48 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
these blocks are for authority, separation code, and reentry code. It is blacked out because it is not relevant to the underwriter and is personal information.

so don't worry. If the underwriter has a problem, then they will tell you and your husband can work it then.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the info. This came directly from Veterans Affairs with those boxes blacked out so I don't know. Though strangely boxes 23 and 28 contain similar information to what you're talking about Type of Separation and Narrative Reason for Separation. Wouldn't Narrative Reason for Separation be the same as actual reason for separation? Seems odd to state the same thing twice.

It is definitely blacked out on purpose and not done by a copy or fax glitch. The black covers the entire length and width of all boxes in that line. I actually at first glance just thought that was part of the form design until my Loan Officer pointed it out. She went ahead and sent it. Hopefully they don't care about anything in that line. I don't see why they should.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:36 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
I wouldn't be concerned too much as long as they can see that the character of separation is Honorable or at the very least, not dishonorable.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:38 PM

Yes character of separation is honorable. That particular row is the only thing blacked out for whatever reason. I gave my Loan Officer my contact's information at Veteran's Affairs if they want to confirm this is a valid document which he agreed he would confirm for me. That's about all I can do. Hopefully that will suffice - we are cutting it so close here. Thanks all -

Old 05-21-2014, 07:39 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
It is deliberate and it is redacted meaning the black out of sensitive or personal information. It is codes which have meanings. The narrative carries enough information as to the character of service.

Happens all the time to protect the veteran. Don't worry.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:44 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Not ot be an ass or anything....but you don't have copies at your house, or somewhere?

I've made 30-40 copies.....and given them to friends and family "just - in-case."

Old 05-22-2014, 09:15 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Not ot be an ass or anything....but you don't have copies at your house, or somewhere?

I've made 30-40 copies.....and given them to friends and family "just - in-case."
The issue is not having copies of the DD-214.... The question was about the blacked out boxes 25, 26 and 27...

Old 05-22-2014, 11:26 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The issue is not having copies of the DD-214.... The question was about the blacked out boxes 25, 26 and 27...
Then why did they have to have the DD-214 faxed to them?

If they had a DD-214, those boxes would not be shadded out, and this would not be a problem.

My point being, as a person (any person) who has a DD-214, you should have copies (many) "just in case."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues