Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 04:07 PM

215 posts, read 144,732 times

Advertisements

remember no matter how well you do they will tell you your not doing good enough, your too slow, your dont listen very well, your not marching right, your not talking right , you forgot to salute an officer, etc

mess up too many times and they will say give me your 341 SON! a demerit slip every recruit carries in his pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 05:03 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr peanut View Post
remember no matter how well you do they will tell you your not doing good enough, your too slow, your dont listen very well, your not marching right, your not talking right , you forgot to salute an officer, etc

mess up too many times and they will say give me your 341 SON! a demerit slip every recruit carries in his pocket.

Nah, I don't really agree. By the time we finished our fourth week, my flight pretty much had everything in hand.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Nah, I don't really agree. By the time we finished our fourth week, my flight pretty much had everything in hand.
they are never satisfied with your performance because they know you wont try harder , they want you to do your best at all times

we did win the Honor Flight on the guidon (yellow ribbon)

we had highest scores during inspections

I dont remember anybody in our Flight getting a 341 , I do remember one recruit that said he wanted to go home and he was gone in a few days, he said he didnt want to be there and wanted to get out

and one person got the flu and had to be recycled to another Flight / Squadron

Old 08-04-2020, 04:46 AM

Quote:
they are never satisfied with your performance because they know you wont try harder , they want you to do your best at all times

"You can be better" is not the same thing as "You're crap."

Old 08-04-2020, 11:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Since you guys continue

What is the bath situation like? Do you get any privacy, or is it open showers, and open toilets like Full Metal Jacket?
I spent time in the old WWII barracks at Ft. Bragg. It was not as bad as my junior high locker room that had one toilet and 6 shower nozzles for 50 guys. Since bathing suits were optional, nobody really cared.

Old 08-06-2020, 12:38 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
the smallest recruit gets the same size food portion as a guy almost twice his size...
Ah memories. I was skinny as a rail during basic and the cafeteria ladies took serious pity on me. The staple of Danish military food was (probably is) steam-boiled potatoes with brown gravy - no one ever asked about what was in the gravy, but it was certainly brown. I must have consumed a tanker truck's worth, because they piled it on. Gained 20 pounds or so in my service time.

Old 08-06-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ah memories. I was skinny as a rail during basic and the cafeteria ladies took serious pity on me. The staple of Danish military food was (probably is) steam-boiled potatoes with brown gravy - no one ever asked about what was in the gravy, but it was certainly brown. I must have consumed a tanker truck's worth, because they piled it on. Gained 20 pounds or so in my service time.

I gained 10 pounds in basic myself.

I like to think it was muscle.

Old 08-06-2020, 04:13 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I think this has degraded into a bit of a reminiscence thread for old grunts. Back in the day, we had toilet stalls. Of course - 18-year-olds being who they are - there was a bit of a graffiti (well, more like scribbling) issue. So the CO had the toilet stall doors removed.

This wasn't popular. Our CO, being a father to his men, came up with a Solomonic solution: Any soldier who felt that a toilet door was necessary could go the armory, sign out a door on the standard issued-equipment form (3 copies) and use it for as long as was necessary. Of course, he would be personally responsible for the state of said door.

No takers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Toilets with stall doors, but they have open bay showers. No time to feel "bashful" when your MTI is yelling at you and you only have 3 minutes to shave/brush teeth/shower.
Quote:
they would designate one toilet stall for regular use, so the other toilet stalls stayed cleaner for inspections, saves time

showers had zero privacy, guys would be packed like sardines rubbing bodies to get in the shower and you only had 2- 3 minutes max, later towards the end of training you had a little more time to shower , especially on a Sunday when the instructor is away

during mealtimes the instructors would say swallow the food dont chew so you barely had enough time to eat your meal

plus they made you drink at least two or three glasses of water before each meal to prevent dehydration in the San Antonio heat

no you cannot sleep on the floor, they had fire watch guys going around checking bunks all through the night until reveilli "Bugle wake up call"
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I spent time in the old WWII barracks at Ft. Bragg. It was not as bad as my junior high locker room that had one toilet and 6 shower nozzles for 50 guys. Since bathing suits were optional, nobody really cared.
If they military build more walls, and curtains/doors, they can reduce sexual harassment. I thought that is what the military policy makers are going for. Also, a lot of potential recruits are scared away because of the lack fo privary.

https://www.sapr.mil/policy

Old 08-07-2020, 09:25 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
In 1966 I was at Marine boot camp in San Diego. We lived in Quonset huts and tents. Toilets and showers in a separate building. No stalls for toilets and open shower room. Boot camp shortened to 8 weeks and infantry training to 2 weeks.

Discipline was closed fist hits and choking. The people who really screwed up were sent to a Correctional Custody platoon. They marched with sledge hammers and shovels. Breaking up rocks and digging and filling in holes.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:22 PM

they often use the brim of their Campaign hat (Smokey the Bear hat) to push against your forehead as they yell in your face

sometimes they even head butt you and break your eye glasses, I used some Scotch tape to repair mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues