Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 12:07 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr peanut View Post
they often use the brim of their Campaign hat (Smokey the Bear hat) to push against your forehead as they yell in your face.

One morning I had our sister flight TI with the brim of his hat pressed against the right side of my head, yelling at me....

and my own TI with the the brim of his hat pressed against the left side of my head...

both yelling at me simultaneously. With me at attention getting stereo ass chewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 12:36 PM

4,851 posts, read 3,276,133 times
I'd be willing to be that doesn't happen today, at least in the Air Force. Frankly, I'd be surprised if they even let the TIs raise their voice.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:25 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
Quote:
before arriving at BMT make sure to train everyday and get your body conditioned by running a couple miles a day, do at least 50 sit ups and 50 push ups minimum

and if your hungry and dont feel like they fed you enough, make sure to stop by the "self serve salad bar" and get a big scoop of potato salad to get extra carbs, most recruits are already hungry again by bedtime thats why people often lose weight in BMT your always hungry or sleepy.

the smallest recruit gets the same size food portion as a guy almost twice his size, the big guys are starving, and the big guys often get assigned as road guards to help them lose extra weight because they run around more during marches.
When I was at Lackland, it was interesting especially once the drill sargeant finds out where you're from. We had one guy from Hollywood, CA so he was a daily target. I don't think he, nicknamed "Hollywood" made it through.

I remember a stunt our sargeant played one night when were all asleep. He said don't open the barracks doors unless you see their ID. One day the sargeant showed his ID to the door guard to let him in. The door guard opened the door after he saw the ID but his ID had a photo of mickey mouse. We all got the brunt of that screw up the next day and had to march a longer distance and more push-ups.

I actually had better workouts once I was out of basic training and on the job.

BMT was running 1.5 miles which is pretty weak compared to the 6 or more miles Marines ran. Then again, are air force people really going to be on the front lines of a war? Push-ups & running were easy, chin ups were the exercise from hell for me. I don't think we ever had to do those.

- Road guards? Wow. I forgot all about those guys in our squadron. I basically learned to make my bed, fold my clothes, and follow orders. I don't recall open toilet stalls. The food was okay.

- Old grunts? that was a term they used to call army troops who came onto our base on occasion.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:40 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
My buddy was in the Air Force and stationed in Central Germany.

All he could talk about was walking guard on those freezing winter nights.

I never thought about A/F personnel walking guard.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:23 PM

127 posts, read 83,193 times
AF is probably weak now. They have to cater to anyone that would get offended. Just shut up and do what you’re told. It’s that easy.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:31 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Be able to run a mile in 17 minutes or less.
Fixed it. Because Air Force.

But seriously, if I was going to join today, I would probably go Air Force. I joined another branch and got hurt in training.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:48 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Fixed it. Because Air Force.

But seriously, if I was going to join today, I would probably go Air Force. I joined another branch and got hurt in training.
Air Force = better quality of life

Old 08-11-2020, 08:12 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
I was the guy in our flight who scheduled everyone for dorm guard duty. Our sergeant asked me one day why I seemed have dorm duty during PT and certain classes. Lol Luckily, he realized that the PT weren’t really a challenge and that I spent time trying to help a couple of the “slower” guys with the classes. He let me slide but did tell me not to be so obvious moving forward and make myself available for more PT. Lol Our flight had more than its share of F/Ups but we all made it.

Holy smokeS...hard to believe that I was in basic 44 years ago! Started just before July 4, 1976. God bless America, God bless our service members, one and all.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:48 PM

215 posts, read 144,817 times
Default Security Forces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
My buddy was in the Air Force and stationed in Central Germany.

All he could talk about was walking guard on those freezing winter nights.

I never thought about A/F personnel walking guard.
he was probably in the Security Forces / Security Police, they do lots of guard duty and patrolling

some people dont realize the AF also has elite Special Forces

it's not the Chair Force these are elite Air Commandos

(AIR FORCE SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND)

https://www.airforce.com/careers/ind...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 08-12-2020, 04:52 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
he was probably in the Security Forces / Security Police, they do lots of guard duty and patrolling

some people dont realize the AF also has elite Special Forces

it's not the Chair Force these are elite Air Commandos

(AIR FORCE SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND)

https://www.airforce.com/careers/ind...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
British forces call it "stagging on", from "stag" or "doing stag", which comes in in turn from "standing guard".

Stagging on, was never popular which is why they set up the Military Provost Guard Service, which consists of ex-forces personnel who are firearms trained and do the job full time leaving the RAF Police to patrol the bases and investigate crime and the RAF Regiment to protect strategically important sites.

The UK separates the roles of Air Force Police and Air Force Infantry in to RAF Police and RAF Regiment (Infantry) rather than have a single security forces unit.

The Ministry of Defence Guard Service (MGS) also carry out gate duty, and the armed Ministry of Defence Police also patrol strategic bases and locations.

In terms of nuclear submarine bases, they are also guarded by the Royal Marines 43 Commando Fleet Protection Group and Royal Navy Police, whilst 43 Commando also accompany all nuclear missile transportation convoys, along with the armed MOD Police Support Group.

Whilst the British Army Royal Military Police (RMP) provide the Armies policing role, alongside the Regimental Police/Provost (RP) who report to Regimental sergeant major (RSM) and are used to enforce discipline and order and are the equivalent of shore patrol in the Royal Navy who report to the Master-at-arms who is usually the Chief Petty Officer (Warrant Officer).

The Special Investigation Branch (SIB) is the name given to the detective branches of all three British military police arms: the Royal Navy Police, Royal Military Police and Royal Air Force Police, whilst the Ministry of Defence Police also have a plain clothed Criminal Investigations Department (CID) which includes a sizeable fraud squad.

As for the USAF Special forces, the 352nd Special Operations Wing us based at Mildenhall in the UK, and all USAF bases in Europe have armed US Security Force personnel on duty.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-12-2020 at 05:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues