Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 02:58 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,572 times

Advertisements

Semper Fi, Crew Chief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 07:48 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,079 times
I have been in the navy for 8 years and I get out in a few months. I have had a great time and I have recived a lot of top notch training with no money out my pocket. For the 1st few years I received electronics traning and worked on various missle systems. the 2nd part of my career, I work in IT and I gotten several civilian certs and 1 degree for when its time for me to leave. Another big point is that you can get a security clearane. This opens you up to a whole new pool of jobs that aren't available to a lot of people. Now the bad. I have spent a lot of time away from home and it has caused a lot of personal issues with relationships and family. Some of these things could have been avoided or fixed, but at 18-19 you really don't think a lot of things through. Sometimes I have been put in hazardous working conditions and now I have a knee that acts up from time to time. Would I do it again. Hell yeah, it has been a great 8 years and they blew by so fast. I want to stay in, but there are other things I watned to do in life that the navy doesn't offer, so I have given and received from the navy so I think we have both paid our debts to each other.

Now for you

You really need to decide what you are intrested in. We have apprenticeships in the navy, but those guys have no real jobs and do most of the seamanship and painting on the ships which directly don't relate to any career outside the martime area. I think we have the best technical training and best leadership outta any branches of the military. You hear a lot of people talking about marine gunnies, but grab one and a navy Chief petty officer in the same career field and see who comes out on top. Also there is a war going on. At anytime you could be called upon to serve in support roles supporting the war on terror. Even in the navy right now we have people serving on the ground in IRAQ and Afganistan, and Africa. Also realize ships are very dangerous and they take a toll on your body. Hopefully this answers some questions and good luck on whatever path you choose. Its all up to you to make the best of it and have a plan for what you want to accomplish it makes it that much easier.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:35 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,340 times
B.H81 - Advise from a retired veteran... I assume you're around 26 years old. When you're 38, you'll be retired, free insurance, preferential job placement, decent retirement... You say the 8 years flew by, believe me, they all do. As for the original post, don't believe recruiters. Make an informed decision as with any other job. Once in, I may relay what a Vietnam vet told me, "Don't be first, don't be last, and don't volunteer."

Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
I was in the USAF for 4 years and I really liked it. Basic in San Antonio was a bit rough (mainly because I was there in June and it was hot as hell) but after that it was all pretty good. You will learn alot in the USAF and it is the only branch of the service I even looked at.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:46 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,764 times
I was in the USMC for 6+ years. Some days you wonder what the hell you were thinking you when enlisted, but once it's all said and done I'm very glad I did.

If you're looking for combat, join the Marines. Also join the Marines if you're looking to put it down on a job resume for a job like police officer or whatever. If you want to see the world, go with the USMC. This one is good for character building.

If you're looking for some high tech training, go to the Air Force. The Air Force can take you to a lot of cool places. I used to work with a guy who was a retired AF weather something or other and this dude had been a lot of places and done a lot of interesting things. The AF would be an easier gig with better living conditions, less stress and so-on (no offense to the flyboys here).

If you're looking to be a mechanic or drive tanks or something, go with the Army. They'll take care of you pretty well too.

The Navy has a lot of the same upsides as the AF, but you generally get to go more places with the Navy. If you're undecided about the USMC, I'd advise looking into being a Navy Corpsman (like a medic for the Marines). Basically you do all the things the Marines do and learn a good skill.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:52 AM

857 posts, read 4,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I was in the USAF for 4 years and I really liked it. Basic in San Antonio was a bit rough (mainly because I was there in June and it was hot as hell) but after that it was all pretty good. You will learn alot in the USAF and it is the only branch of the service I even looked at.
My son's graduation from boot camp was in August. All of the Airmen were lining up on the parade ground in full dress and standing at attention, and there were a couple of guys standing at the building behind them who would run out and scoop up the ones that passed out from the heat and carry them into the building.
I highly recommend the Air Force, but wait until cooler weather to go to Lackland.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:27 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
regarding Loveboating's post---------I got my draft notice a few years earlier than you (1965) and also was from the farm. The day we were all set to board the train to Army boot camp, they announced the Navy didn't reach its recruiting goal for the month and 5 of us (out of 90) were needed for the Navy. Nobody voluntered, so they randomly picked 5.

I spent 2 years in the Navy at Naval Air Stations in the US as a plane captain on the flightline.

My son enlisted in the Navy in 1983 and retired after 20 years in 2003.

My advice to a person deciding on the Navy would be to both consider where your intrests are and what Navy rates have good advancement.

Although my son served 20 years as a "black shoe"-EW rate------I was an "Airdale" and would suggest you look into "aviation" if deciding on the Navy.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Marmac, I was your USAF counterpart; would've never chosen aircraft maintenance as my career; but glad they neded warm bodies in that job when I enlisted ('74). Even though I love my second career (trucking), there's days I miss the scream of jet engines and the aroma of JP-8...

Old 01-20-2008, 09:43 AM

857 posts, read 4,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Marmac, I was your USAF counterpart; would've never chosen aircraft maintenance as my career; but glad they neded warm bodies in that job when I enlisted ('74). Even though I love my second career (trucking), there's days I miss the scream of jet engines and the aroma of JP-8...
When my late son enlisted he was supposed to be an intelligence analyst. He got bumped from that because of his eye exam (poor depth perception with 3-D photos) and the guy filling out the paperwork asked him what his second choice was. He hadn't given it any thought, so the guy decided for him, and that was how a computer geek wound up as an F-15 Crew Chief.
Strange how small twists of fate can change someone's entire future.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:09 AM

630 posts, read 2,226,583 times
I have three sons and each went into a different branch of the Service. My oldest is in the Air Force, my second in the Navy and the third is in the Marines. The oldest in the Air Force will make this his career, the second in the Navy did his time and recently left the Navy, he wished he went in the AF, and is now working for SCE (Southern California Edison). He is doing well and just purchased his first home (he is only 25). My youngest is in the Marine Corps and was selected for Presidential Support Duty, he was recently in the Middle East and just returned. He will leave the Military after his term of service. They are all proud of the Service under which they serve (served), but I will state the last two wish they went into the AF.

No matter which Military Service you decide, make sure it's right for you.

Best Wishes to you !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues