Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:46 PM

10 posts, read 91,898 times

Advertisements

I Am Thinking About Joining The Military. Preferably The Marines Or The Air Force. Can Anyone Inform Me On The Pros And Cons Of The Different Branches In The Military? And Why Should I Go Or Not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 04:24 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,720,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeppushing View Post
I Am Thinking About Joining The Military. Preferably The Marines Or The Air Force. Can Anyone Inform Me On The Pros And Cons Of The Different Branches In The Military? And Why Should I Go Or Not?
Kudos to you for wanting to serve your country this way!!! Your question is kind of hard without knowing you or your background but I'll give you my opinion:
If you long range plan includes a technical field but not a Military career then I strongly suggest the Navy first then the Air Force or the Coast Gaurd.
If you really want to serve in a combat branch the it's the Army or the Marines. This is not to say that the first three do not get the hands dirty! Plenty of hardcore combat gigs there if you want them! Nor am I saying the Second 2 do not have tech jobs they do... But it has been my personal experiance first 3 have more jobs that are directly translate into civilian jobs when you get out. For example I manange operations and maintenance in 12 electrical generation plants in Minnesota. I get more boiler operators, electrical techs, engine men, welders etc.etc.from the Navy then anywhere else... I f you decide from the outset (as I did) that you want a career then take your pick whatever fits your personality.
Good Luck!!!

P.S. I sure some wise apples on the forum will say things like "join the navy you won't killed" or some such bull as that! Be aware that every Branch is dangerous and requires dedication,hard work,team work everything that will bring out the best in you! and be the most fullfilling thing you do in your life!!!!!
"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living. Today's military rejects include tomorrow's hard-core unemployed.
John F Kennedy (Both)

Old 01-08-2008, 04:56 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,729,484 times
Pros: Free Medical, Dental, Room&Board, Money for college
Cons: Long term psychological issues of varying degrees, may get blown up in some desert

/Veteran with 5 years duty

Old 01-08-2008, 06:44 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,027 times
Beware of the one-sided contracts. You can be discharged without benefits easily. On the other hand, the money's not bad, especially if you advance. Pick a rate that advances quickly (some take forever). I retired... prescription meds: $3.00, physicals cost $15.00, insurance: free with $3000 cap on co-payment. Lots of disadvantages, but more advantages. Lifelong friends, character, respect, pride, worldly experiences... I'd do it again! As for which branch or job... that's entirely up to you! Get a guaranteed school prior to boot-camp. Take college courses on base. Have fun. Serve proudly!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:29 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,359,009 times
Enlisted in the US Navy in '68. Now I wish I would have stayed in and advanced to get Commissioned as an Officer.....could have been a Commander and retired by now! I knew that if I didn't enlist in the Navy, the Army was going to be right there to draft me. Actually, my parents on our farm did recieve my Draft Notice while I was in Navy "boot camp". Navy "boot camp" was very easy compared to Marine and Army. Air Force "boot camp" is also fairly easy, at least I was told that. "Boot Camp" (training) is strict in any of the Services, and you had better be ready for that. Navy life was "ok" and tough at the same time. There were times when I wished that I was back home taking care of livestock or working a field. But, I learned a lot and went to countries that I never thought I'd ever go to.
Join the military? Yes, but just remember the discipline WILL recieve and that military life IS different from civilian life. Good Luck.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,247 times
Congrats on your consideration. Your personal interests will help you dictate which branch is best for you. If I had to do the last ten years all over again, I would have joined the Navy. My grandfather was in the Navy, WWII, USS Gunston Hall and was around a lot of stuff in the Pacific, my father joined in the 60s and was on the USS Saratoga. I graduated high school, went to college and am currently a high school science teacher. Im still young (29) and could still enlist, but currently I just have too many responsibilities going on in my life to commit voluntarily to four years of service. I feel a bit selfish thinking that way but I do have people to take care of and I kind of need to be around. It just bothers me a bit....there was a nice little tradition going on in my family that I could have continued. I just wish my father or grandfather would have pushed me a bit or at least mentioned it to me back then. I was not pushed in any one direction and was allowed to make my own decisions which I appreciate, but I also did not know much about their service at the time. I would have appreciated it more back then. Maybe its growing up on Long island close to NYC where you really did not hear much about enlisting and all that....at least I do not remember hearing it in high school. Good luck to you in your decisions.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:43 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,527,248 times
Keeppushing, I served 22 years in USAF; would do it again in a heartbeat. All of the services have their good points. The USAF probably spends a little more money on the "people' programs than the other services. But that doesn't mean you won't be treated well in the other services. The USMC has the most "Esprit de Corp" of any of the services. The Navy offers some really great travel opportunities shipboard that the other services don't. The Army, IMHO, has somewhat quicker promotion opportunites than the other services. (sorry, just a personal opinion, maybe not the reality; depends on your military occupational specialty, I guess) So it just depends what you want. Depending on what job you want to do one service may be better than the others. All of the services offer outstanding training and experiences you can't get anywhere else.

Best of luck!

Old 01-10-2008, 10:22 AM

857 posts, read 4,877,688 times
My Father was Navy, Brother was Coast Guard, Uncle was a Marine, Husband was Army, and Son was Air Force. I think it's great that you are considering joining the service and serving your country. The discipline you will develop will serve you well later in the civilian world. I think I would have to agree with Crew Chief above and say that the Air Force is the one that I would recommend.
I have had a lot of dealings with the Air Force these past several months, and from the Colonel on down to the airmen they have all been wonderful. They take good care of their own.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:34 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,734,660 times
When I met and married my husband he was 10 years into the USMC. He was career, but the military cutbacks in the early 90s forced him into the Air Force.

We thought the loss was a bad thing, but the Air Force has been WONDERFUL. So family supportive. USMC is fine for singles but hell on families.

He is 3 years from retirement now and we both can't say enough about how good the USAF has been to/for us. They joke on base that they had to get a Marine to help them "get it together".

Old 01-10-2008, 02:54 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,527,248 times
Tulegirl, best to you and hubby! Even though I was Air Force, some of my best "war stories" involve Marine air- and ground crews!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues