Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,467 times

Advertisements

Question....when I retire with 20 active years (2022) I will have a total of 26 years (6 years FL guard)......will my retirement pay be for an E8 with 20 or 26 years?? i couldn't find a definitive answer in the regulation- and the difference in pay is significantly higher! Thanks in advance!

Kevin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 07:29 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybucs99 View Post
Question....when I retire with 20 active years (2022) I will have a total of 26 years (6 years FL guard)......will my retirement pay be for an E8 with 20 or 26 years?? i couldn't find a definitive answer in the regulation- and the difference in pay is significantly higher! Thanks in advance!

Kevin.
I'm not exactly sure, but I think your guard time will be converted to active duty time. Your pay will be a lot closer to the 22 years of service rate than it will be to the 26 years rate.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:25 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
This might help:

Military Reserve and National Guard Retirement Calculators: Military Reserve and National Guard Retirement Calculators - Military Guide

Old 02-10-2015, 06:44 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
You're under the high three rule so your last 36 month's of pay which is calculated by the 26 years of service. Let's say that is around $5k per month. The percentage is based on your months of service so after 20 full years, the remaining six years roughly add another six months so your total percentage of the high three would be around 51% of your base salary. If $5k is correct, about half of that would be $2500.

So reserve time helps you get higher monthly pay on the years of service scale but don't add a lot to the end percentage that you'll get once you retire. If your using online calculators, I'd add six months extra to calculate more accurate figures.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:08 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybucs99 View Post

Kevin.
Your Guard time will not count 1 for 1 when it comes to your retirement pay with respect to active duty federal service. On the plus side, your Guard time does count 1 for 1 for pay so that'll positively impact your high three.

I just went through this when I submitted my retirement paperwork in October. I spent 5 years in the Guard before I was commissioned and went on active duty. As part of your retirement packet, you have to provide documentation that lays out your Guard time- original enlistment contract, NGB 22, DD214 from basic/AIT, and any forms that calculate your points. HRC will then use that to figure out your active federal service time.

My recommendation is to inquire sooner rather than later to see what your unit and HRC will want. I was shocked at some of the documents I had to submit- my ROTC contract was one document I never thought they would ask for. The reason I say that is if you need to hunt it down, it's better to do it now versus later. Once you submit your paperwork, you might have to wait several weeks before someone tells you that you're missing something. I submitted my packet correctly the first time and it still took two months to get my orders.

Thanks for your service and good luck!

Old 02-15-2015, 08:56 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,183 times
Your 6 years will count for years of service for pay purposes but you will only get 50% based on your 20 years of active service.

Look at the pay chart, rank, and years of service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues