Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you served or fought in any of these? (Multiple Choice)
World War II (1939-1945) 5 2.51%
Korean War (1950-53) 7 3.52%
Vietnam War (1960-1975) 57 28.64%
Bay of Pigs Invasion (1961) 3 1.51%
Grenada Intervention (1983) 12 6.03%
Panama Invasion (1989) 11 5.53%
Persian Gulf War (1990-1991) 34 17.09%
Bosnia and Herzegovina Intervention (1995-96) 12 6.03%
Iraq Invasion (2003-) 31 15.58%
Military Service (No Engagement) 62 31.16%
Military Service (Unusual Engagement) 31 15.58%
Afghanistan 2001 - "Operation Enduring Freedom" (added110224) 4 2.01%
U.S. Army 5 2.51%
U.S. Air Force 2 1.01%
U.S. Navy 4 2.01%
U.S. Marine Corps 1 0.50%
U.S. Coast Guard 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:00 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,734,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I served in the Womens Army Corp. (Wac), in 1960-1962..This was before they merged in with the RA in 1978 with the passing of the ERA..I was a medic, most of the time and had a secondary mos as a clerk..I joined 2 months before graduating high school for family reasons..I passed the GED in order to get accepted and managed to get some college credits in while on active duty, and took advantage of the GI bill for some more college after discharge..Met my H while stationed in an old Army hospital in Phoenixville Pa, just outside of Philadelphia..I also trained as a medic at what was then known as "Ft Sam Houston" in San Antonio, Texas..I believe it is just called Brooks Army Medical Center now..Back then women could apply for discharge if they chose after marriage..That is what I did after being married for six months..My H was sent to the Panama Canal zone just 10 days after we got married..and was gone for a year..I almost forgot what he looked like , because we had only known each other for a few weeks
I agree with UB, Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 10:18 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,523,321 times
My father and his generation fought WWII and Korea. The first Baby Boomer generation fought in Viet Nam. I enlisted in 1974, as Viet Nam was ending and the new "All-volunteer Military" was put into place. I sometimes feel guilty for serving the next 22 years in a safe, almost-comfortable military where overseas tours were pretty much an all-expenses-paid vacation where you sometimes had to wear a uniform. Many of us thought the 3-day "Local Salty Nation" exercises with 12-hour shifts were almost unbearable. Looking back, it seems like such a selfish attitude. I certainly don't mean to demean my service, but I can't help but think that I had a very different experience than my brothers and sisters that served in Special Forces, Pararescue, SEALs or even frontline Combat Arms specialties. I realize just how lucky I was.

I have, and always will believe in my country, it's people and what has to be the finest armed forces on this planet. I don't always have faith in our senior military and civilian leadership. Especially as I look at our history from the 1950s. The last half of the 20th century was an awesome time for military technology, IMHO. Like a kid with the neatest toys, I enjoyed seeing and working on some of the most awesome aircraft ever built. The heady days of the '50s, '60s and '70s were our aerospace engineers had free reign to create those awesome aircraft that set speed records and had combat capabilities that could only be dreamed of before. And I really felt that Teddy Roosevelt was right in saying "Walk softly but carry a big stick" I saw myself as part of an institution that honestly, as the Strategic Air Command's motto; "Peace is Our Profession" said, believed that peace would be maintained if we were strong enough to make the Other Guy believe we could bomb him back to oblivion if he tried to attack us.

But I worry that we've headed down the wrong path since then. We've ignored President Eisenhower's admonition to "beware of the Military-Industrial Complex". We've put some awesome weapons into service, no doubt. But have we spent money in the right areas and on the right weapons? Have we wasted defense dollars on the wrong things and not spent enough on the right things? I believe so.

As for our foreign policy, I've felt that our leaders are out of touch with the real world outside of the I-495 Beltway. I believe Afghanistan was the right thing to do. But giving them an economic alternative to the Taliban would've been a far wiser investment than getting Saddam Hussein. I will always believe that Saddam Hussein was never going to be more than a major pain in our behinds. He was NEVER going to cross that line that would unite the rest of the world against him and cause him to lose power. FWIW, he held his country together, albeit by force. I don't believe that the decision-makers in Washington TRULY understood that. Someone above said the Iraq War was poorly planned and executed. I couldn't agree more. IMHO, Rumsfeld saying "You don't go to war with the military you wish you had, you go to war with the military that you actually have (or words to that effect) will, in my mind, stand alone as the worst quote of the whole war (well, that "Mission Accomplished" banner was worse...)

Found this quote in a newspaper "Vent" column awhile back; "It is correct to compare Viet Nam and Iraq. They were both started by Texan presidents using fabricated justification with an unwinnable strategy and an undefined exit plan. And both times, the military fought heroically".

Old 02-02-2008, 10:28 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,549,422 times
I'd especially like to thank Miami Vice, who might just be our most patriotic forum member! He's served in every U.S. conflict since World War II, which would mean he's currently deployed in the War on Terror in his 70s or 80s. That's truly amazing! Thank you, Miami Vice, for serving our nation so valiantly! I salute you!

Old 02-02-2008, 10:31 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,549,422 times
I'd also like to add that I wish the military would eliminate its "Don't ask; don't tell" policy. I would have loved to have enlisted in the Army if I were permitted to have done so. I think serving in the U.S. armed forces is a great way to build character, entrepreneurship, teamwork, and many other useful skills that are easily-transferrable to the corporate world as well.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:36 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,492,794 times
Default To Miami Vice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I'd especially like to thank Miami Vice, who might just be our most patriotic forum member! He's served in every U.S. conflict since World War II, which would mean he's currently deployed in the War on Terror in his 70s or 80s. That's truly amazing! Thank you, Miami Vice, for serving our nation so valiantly! I salute you!
Thank you Miami Vice you are a true American hero....I honor you and your courage and love of country....

Old 02-04-2008, 08:34 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,133,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I'm still just an ROTC Cadet, though barring any major screwups, I'm set to be a freshly minted butterbar in the army in a year or so.
Being that I'm a retired 21 yr vet, I tried to always remember that "if not for those under me, I would have never made it to where I am". During my years in the service it was the good Officers that put the men first, that I remembered the most. I was an enlisted man in the Army 6yrs (Field Artillery) and the Navy 15yrs (SeaBee) and I had alot of good Officers and a few bad ones and the good ones were always there to help, train and mentor their troops. The bad ones alway were looking for the medals & awards for them selves and forgetting those who helped them and did all the grunt work.

So as a new butterbar (LT) you may want to think about that, and remember that its a fine line between being a friend and being a buddy. Just a little friendly advice to help you be a good Officer. Alway remember those under you, they're the one who helped you.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:37 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,422,198 times
I forgot something else. In school, I was awarded a JROTC cadet award.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:16 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,118,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Interesting observation. Perhaps Miami Vice did not understand the OP's question and perhaps also he may wish to publicly post in this forum thread his military experience so we can all understand and enjoy.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,118,627 times
ontheroad please note:

If this subject matter doesn't belong in here feel free to delete as I will not be offended. My desire here is to offer whatever information I can to assist other Veterans and their families. That being said...

The Department of Veterans Affairs has sent out notices to all Vets receiving disability payments that Congress has enacted into law a bill increasing continued benefits and at a rate higher than in 2007.

Can you imagine what would happen if Congress did NOT enact a new law every year such as this???

veterans have power just like Senior Citizens do if we all stick together and make our voices loud so they will be heard.

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 02-04-2008 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: oops...wrong year

Old 02-04-2008, 07:37 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,106,971 times
UncleBatz, I do understand that we don't have many forums appropriate for the veterans so we'll let that post (above) stand. Perhaps it will inform someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues