Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you served or fought in any of these? (Multiple Choice)
World War II (1939-1945) 5 2.51%
Korean War (1950-53) 7 3.52%
Vietnam War (1960-1975) 57 28.64%
Bay of Pigs Invasion (1961) 3 1.51%
Grenada Intervention (1983) 12 6.03%
Panama Invasion (1989) 11 5.53%
Persian Gulf War (1990-1991) 34 17.09%
Bosnia and Herzegovina Intervention (1995-96) 12 6.03%
Iraq Invasion (2003-) 31 15.58%
Military Service (No Engagement) 62 31.16%
Military Service (Unusual Engagement) 31 15.58%
Afghanistan 2001 - "Operation Enduring Freedom" (added110224) 4 2.01%
U.S. Army 5 2.51%
U.S. Air Force 2 1.01%
U.S. Navy 4 2.01%
U.S. Marine Corps 1 0.50%
U.S. Coast Guard 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:41 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,592 times

Advertisements

OC, Don't be so modest... your Service is just as distinguished as every one else who has served... We are all proud of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:56 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Talking RED LEGS, We rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCinvestor View Post
I was an Army artillery officer from 89-91 & served w/ the 101st Airborne division in ODS. My service was'nt long or distinguished, but I am proud that I did my small bit.
Hey ya Red Leg! Don't ya know that its all those little pieces of the puzzle that allows one to see the whole picture and every piece counts. Thanks my fellow Cannon Cocker, I did 6 yrs as a Gun Bunnie too. So now I'm proud to say, "Huh, whatcha say, I can't hear ya?"

Steal on Target my friend.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:36 PM

45 posts, read 154,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Hey ya Red Leg! Don't ya know that its all those little pieces of the puzzle that allows one to see the whole picture and every piece counts. Thanks my fellow Cannon Cocker, I did 6 yrs as a Gun Bunnie too. So now I'm proud to say, "Huh, whatcha say, I can't hear ya?"

Steal on Target my friend.

Hoo-Ah!

Best line from "Good Morning Vietnam":

"This is Bob from the artillery"
"Hi Bob. What can I play for you?"
"Anything man. Just play it LOUD!!"

King of Battle!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:55 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,237 times
United States Coast Guard Semper Paratus! The military did not change my initial thinking of war, in fact I was educated at a very liberal anti-war institution of UC-Santa Barbara, but many of the books which I have studied and professors whom were also very liberal made me think in terms of "peacebuilding" rather than war or peacekeeping.

Peacebuilding is changing the culture of war, especially in those nations today that have endured centuries of warfare, central America, Middle East and the horn of Africa. Peacekeeping only stop the warfare temporarily where they are most certain to go back into conflict, majority of warfare today is that of civil strife based on identity, perfect example is that of the middle-east and changing that culture takes more than a war, more than a decade, it takes short term and long term goals and I do believe in giving peace a chance, which does mean military intervention is necessary for the short term goal to happen and then stabilization and disarming warfare in the minds of future generations, the second generation can then enagage in unifying a country as that mindset of hate and warfare has been broken down.

It's as if you think a recent immigrant to this country who barely speaks English, however his child speaks both the Native tongue and English well, the third generation almost always loses the native tongue. In this case, the first generation and prior generations are full of hate, though they don't want war and seeing their brothers and sisters die, they aren't willing to cooperate, peacekeeping comes in to play and stabilizes the nation which may only take several days to a couple years. In the second step, the education of cooperation and "negative peace" comes into play, which may take 5-10 years and down the road where this balance and peace is achieve can there be a positive reinforcement of not only "negative peace" but also embrace and full reunification which may take up to 60-90 years.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:10 PM

5 posts, read 35,417 times
Default Air Force

I served in the Air Force. My last duty assignment was with the 341st Recruiting Squadron, Lackland AFB, TX. I wasn't a recruiter but I participated in all the recruiter training seminars. (Commanders Orders)

Funny thing is, once I separated I found myself taking an HR position and eventually becoming a Recruiter. Now I'm a Government Contract Recruiter. I fill jobs on military
installations throughout the US.

If anyone is looking for a job, send me a message. I fill all skill classes; Medical, Logistics, Maintenance, IT, Engineering, Administrative, ect.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:24 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
I already posted my service as to the tail end of WW11 and time in Korea. Todays' news says that WW11 veterans are dying at an average of 1000 a day. Does not look too good for me, does it? Steve

Last edited by Crew Chief; 05-26-2008 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: Spellin'

Old 05-25-2008, 09:05 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
When Those You Love Become A Memory, That Memory Becomes A Treasure.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:49 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
This Thread/poll was started by Ontheroad and set to expire in July. When I became mod for History, I asked him to keep it open. This is a Thread for people who are and were in the Military. It is a place for them to have a voice for whatever they would like to discuss.
It is different than most Threads.
I would ask, please, respect this. It is not the place for politics or opinions on a specific war, unless you participated in it.
There are other Forums for that.
Thank you.
Trudeyrose
Thank you for saying this and being such a great moderator.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:18 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,639 times
Since it's Memorial Day, seems a good time to list my service to this country.....1971-1974 ARMY

*ASCOM, S.Korea, between Incheon and Seoul: 13 months as Military Policeman (gates and patrols), Provost Marshall Investigator, Armorer, Desk Clerk, E-4 (corporal)

*Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland: 9 months patroling Chesapeake Bay on PBR Patrol Boat, 9 months as Auto Crafts Shop assistant manager, discharged E-3 (private first class)

I really wasn't a great soldier but I at least did my duty. I had three choices: Get drafted (my lottery number was 51 and I would have been called up by Feb. '71 Selective Service System: History and Records), go to Halifax, Nova Scotia and live with grandparents or enlist with my best friend and select our MOS training AND our destination. We were guaranteed not to go to Viet Nam. I was 19 years old and just a "hippie with a haircut".

Since I enlisted, they asked me where I wanted to go for my first duty assignment in either Alaska or Korea, and I requested Alaska. Got Korea. When my time was up in S.Korea, they asked me where I wanted to go stateside either east coast or west coast and I said west coast. Got Maryland.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:21 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,592 times
RMoore007... Thank you for your Service to our Country Trudeyrose
All Soldiers are Great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues