Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:42 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,830 times

Advertisements

I just thank people for their support if they thank me for my service. No big deal.

On the less military side of town where I live, people will ask and I'll say no, I'm not military because I simply don't want the attention.

I told my wife that when I'm out of the military, people who we meet after my time is done probably won't even know I served. I don't wear any shirts, hats or have anything hanging on the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 07:53 AM

354 posts, read 280,991 times
Quote:
Give $100 to a vet, Ben Fountain, author of the “Billy Lynn” book, half-joked,
saying it would at least show some sacrifice on the thanker’s part.
Yeah, please don't do that. Since getting stuck on recruiting duty against my will I've had one guy
pay for my lunch before I could say no. I felt really bad.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:05 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I just thank people for their support if they thank me for my service. No big deal.

On the less military side of town where I live, people will ask and I'll say no, I'm not military because I simply don't want the attention.

I told my wife that when I'm out of the military, people who we meet after my time is done probably won't even know I served. I don't wear any shirts, hats or have anything hanging on the wall.
Thank you, Army Guy, for making this so easy. Anyone who wishes not to be thanked has only to wear clothing that doesn't indicate "military". For some reason, the market where I usually shop has many elderly men shopping with/without wives. Some of them, the ones in my age bracket or a bit older, are wearing caps with the unit/ship/theater in which they served. I thank them for their service. Not one of them has ever expressed displeasure at being thanked.

There are other men who shop in the same store who are in jeans/sweats/chinos and regular winter jackets (it's really cold here!) Since I have no idea if they are ex-military or conscientious objectors, I don't thank them for their service.

As the Barefoot Contessa is so fond of saying, "How easy is that?"

Old 02-26-2015, 08:24 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
.......I told my wife that when I'm out of the military, people who we meet after my time is done probably won't even know I served. I don't wear any shirts, hats or have anything hanging on the wall.
I'm like that. People are surprised when they find out I'm a Vet. It may be because of the above (though I do my plaques, framed commissioning paper on the wall......buried somewhere among multiple ballet and fantasy pics), that youthful appearance runs in my family, that I'm a belly dancer, or my attitudes are not what one might expect from a Vet.

Various people do know I'm something of law enforcement (properly a researcher) but ex Navy seems to come as a surprise to most.

A, B, C and D.

A: As to what I was alluding to earlier, let me just put it this way that at times I might have similar feelings a Brit might have about an American in WWII. IE, in that case, great that you are now on board but realize some of us have been in this for a while before.

B: I avoid my ROTC unit annual reunions because I have no wish to be around people who are still playing the game 30+ years after the fact. My military units reunions are fortunately away on this or that coast and that situation makes it quite easy not to go to them. Hence, my isolation from that time is probably another reason why people don't see me as a Vet.

C: Part of the side of doing intelligence then and LE research now is that back then, one learns not to talk too much about it and now, one learns not to talk too much about it because a lot of clueless people are more than ready to say their often wrong opinion of how things should be done. It is only when I'm in circles of people who know and understand that I do open up.

D: There is a lot of camouflage that has been built in my life. When I was in the Navy, I learned to conceal my military marching style with my dancing, such as ballet, moves. I can strike up an innocent conversation to interrogate someone (in the Navy, my best was when I did it to a Chaplain). Equally, I know enough about enough subjects such as art, engineering, and biology that I can pull on a subject to conceal other things I might be.

To sum it up, I am proud that I once served in the regulars and I served honorably, but that was a long time ago, and I have moved on to other things, that while who I was then is part of me now, I have since changed vastly from who I was then.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,086 times
In combat sometimes there are things that are so over whelming you simple cannot be awake, you cannot be above it, you cannot be neutral, you cannot be untouched by it, simple as that... You see it, you feel it, you experience it, you live it and it will be with you for the rest of your days...
We Where Soldiers

Litefoot
Vietnam 1967 - 1968
IRAQ 1990-1991

Old 03-04-2015, 01:07 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
I would rather be thanked than spit on like the Vietnam veterans had experienced. Vietnam was an unpopular war but the public had no love for us vets whether serving in Vietnam or not. Just traveling in uniform was asking for problems for some of us.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:23 AM

1,400 posts, read 764,844 times
I knew a man who was a Marine, and he said it meant a lot to him when people would come up to him and say "Thank you so much". Being grateful is a good thing. More people should try it.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:03 AM

661 posts, read 631,192 times
I'm also tired of it too! Veteran's Day every year is enough for me.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:41 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
Ran across this on-line... Wondering what other vets think about this?
An other article. Another experience. Interesting to a degree.

The title "Please Don’t Thank Me for My Service" is a bit trollish, an attention getter. Mr. Garth never said what the title states. Mr. Garth explained himself well.

I grew up to always acknowledge a "thanks". And "you're welcome" would always be the minimum response. Matt Richtel (the writer/journalist) will never take that away from me.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-05-2015 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues