Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 06:49 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times

Advertisements

Hi There,
Our sons are sea cadets and absolutely love the program. They do trainings a few times a year and we of course pay for it. Its not expensive and I don't mind paying at all.

However, this winter they did a training in Ohio and the person in charge said they could not accept the check we sent, so we immediately send a money order. Then they said they didn't receive the money order but yet accepted the children into the training. We sent proof that we sent the money order by fedex. Of course then they cashed the check which they were told not to, and now we have paid twice for the training.

We have been chasing the training official (who I will name if requested), asked our CO to get involved which he has been gracious in doing and he has emailed the person in charge about this several times. But we have not received any updates as promised by the training official who admits they received the money order.

So any idea on how we get the refund of the training ; it is $340 ; not a huge amount of money, but the runaround has been horrendous. Everything that the training official has told us to do ; go thru the chain of command, take it up with out CO, etc we have done. But we still wait for the money. We originally sent the money order and it was received on December 5th. Now this is almost the end of February, and we are still waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 10:24 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
That does sound odd.

I was in Sea Cadets when I was a teen. Back then the only part that cost me, was transportation to the base. The rest [food, lodging, training, uniforms, etc] was all covered by the Navy. It can be a very good program.

I would contact the OIC of the Navy base where the training happened, and ask him to look into it. Ping him every Monday.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:01 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,121 times
Is it possible to find out who the training official in Ohio reports to? It sounds like he or she is stonewalling you in the hope that you will give up and go away. Someone needs to rattle their cage.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:40 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Well after saying if I didn't have the check by Friday or I would file in small claims ; all of a sudden it arrived today. 11 weeks after they received the money order.
The stories he told were amazing ; first of all, he said he didn't cash the money order as he knew the children would not be there (Lie number 1). Then he said he never got the money order(lie # 2), then he said he sent the money order and it was refused delivery (lie # 3), then he said he was too busy with 170 children to keep track, then he said the person in charge was heading into the accounting busy season, etc etc etc.
Today he sent me a copy of the tracking from the post office ; however, that particular tracking was from a post office in Virginia last week (we live in Pittsburgh).
There will be a formal complaint as it should not have reached this far.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:45 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We have been chasing the training official (who I will name if requested), asked our CO to get involved which he has been gracious in doing and he has emailed the person in charge about this several times.
It sounds that someone in that organization owes you $340.

That is a lot of money to me. When I was a drafted Private in the U.S. Army that was over three months pay.

Start crawling up the chain of command...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues