Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 934 times

Advertisements

We are dual military and considering taking assignments in Texas. Only issue is he will be at Ft Sam and I will be at Hood. Anyone had to deal with this? If we take it we would look into living in the Austin area? How's the commute? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 08:47 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,673 times
I'm in San Antonio so I'll chat a little about the commute from Austin to Fort Sam. Unless you are living on the far west side of Austin, I-35 is likely your only choice. There are many people that live in the areas of south Austin, San Marcos, and New Braunfels that use I-35 as their main route into San Antonio. In a word, it's crowded. Even with no accidents, it can be a very slow commute.

I was assigned to Ft. Hood many years ago and the roads have changed a lot since my days there. I have no idea how the traffic might be going north out of Austin or if there has been a nice road added into the Fort Hood area other than US 190. There once was a little two-lane road just north of Georgetown that cut over to Killeen from the south but, again, that was many years ago.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more information.

Best of luck on your decision.

Last edited by TexasDillo; 03-01-2015 at 09:27 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 10:54 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
The commute to Hood is bad enough if you live in Killeen! My sister lives about 4 miles right off Clear Creek in Killeen. It's about a 45 minute commute for her to work and her office is by the Popeye's on post.

It's just awful there, not a commute I would recommend.

Traffic in Austin is awful as well.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:15 AM

24,295 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
The commute to Hood is bad enough if you live in Killeen! My sister lives about 4 miles right off Clear Creek in Killeen. It's about a 45 minute commute for her to work and her office is by the Popeye's on post.

That's the biggest bottleneck. I travel to Austin 2-3 times a year and am amazed at how I-35, despite two levels, can be a parking lot. Now, maybe travel against the flow isn't so bad out of downtown, but from San Antonio it can really get slow around the airport. Maybe Kerrville or Fredericksburg are better options, the latter being the same distance as Austin to Fort Sam, or Marble Falls. As a bonus you avoid the snarly mess they call Austin. When I was in the Air Force we had three joint spouse pilots in my George AFB squadron, one lived in San Bernardino (wife at Norton) and the other two lived in Palmdale (wives at Edwards). The caveat was that they MUST be available in the squadron 60 minutes after any notification. Not a problem unless Cajon Pass was iced over. I don't know what rules the Army has but some commanders might frown on someone living far away, whether it's an operational consideration, or it's based on risk assessment and exposure.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:46 AM

950 posts, read 1,259,526 times
Is there anyway you both could be assigned to Fort Sam? That might make it easier on the both of you.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:29 PM

493 posts, read 980,691 times
Quote:

Has it really changed that much? I rarely had a commute longer than 15 minutes going from Clear Creek/Stan Schlueter to base, going in the main gate (or Bernie Beck, or whatever it's called now)

With the new toll roads the commute to Austin seems better, but even before it was rare for the trip to Austin to take more than an hour. Then again, I haven't been back to Killeen since the toll roads were first opening. The worst part was always the drive through Florence, damn speed trap.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:52 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
Has it really changed that much? I rarely had a commute longer than 15 minutes going from Clear Creek/Stan Schlueter to base, going in the main gate (or Bernie Beck, or whatever it's called now)

With the new toll roads the commute to Austin seems better, but even before it was rare for the trip to Austin to take more than an hour. Then again, I haven't been back to Killeen since the toll roads were first opening. The worst part was always the drive through Florence, damn speed trap.
Yes, it's pretty bad. At second glance, it's not even 4 miles for her. She lives behind Shoemaker High School.

I was out that way a few weeks ago. Went east from El Paso to 35 north to Killeen. Traffic going south on 35 from Killeen to Austin wasn't bad until we hit the part of the interstate where it's upper/lower 35.

Whereabouts are you from in Chicago? I'm originally from the south suburbs. Small world.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 AM

493 posts, read 980,691 times
Quote:
Yes, it's pretty bad. At second glance, it's not even 4 miles for her. She lives behind Shoemaker High School.

I was out that way a few weeks ago. Went east from El Paso to 35 north to Killeen. Traffic going south on 35 from Killeen to Austin wasn't bad until we hit the part of the interstate where it's upper/lower 35.

Whereabouts are you from in Chicago? I'm originally from the south suburbs. Small world.
Right now I'm in the Schaumburg area, working downtown. Dad retired from EOD at Hood in 03, then I went to NW Indiana for college in 07 before getting a job in Chicago. I'll have to make it back down to Austin area just for Pok-e-jo's and Salt Lick. Can't find good BBQ to save my life up here

Old 03-05-2015, 12:33 PM

455 posts, read 1,398,276 times
I'm currently a GS-11 that works at the NEC (NETCOM) on Fort Hood. I also live 44 miles away in Georgetown, TX (North Austin) and it takes me about 45-50 mins to drive all the way to my work (one way) from my house. I do this drive everyday and it's not bad at all. If I had to drive to SA also I would try and live exactly half way between the two. The drive would suck but that's they only way to make the misery equal.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:36 PM

455 posts, read 1,398,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post

Florence is bypassed now. I take 195 to hood daily and they have redone most of it. Now it's all a proper highway with no stops or towns to go threw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues