Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 01:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

When my husband was working training very new sailors, there were instances where chaplains were involved in counseling situations (the case of a sailor whose infant had died while he was at boot camp comes to mind).

Old 04-15-2015, 01:06 PM

361 posts, read 385,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
When my husband was working training very new sailors, there were instances where chaplains were involved in counseling situations (the case of a sailor whose infant had died while he was at boot camp comes to mind).
That makes sense, thanks.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:06 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
I was active duty in the navy for 10 years, I don't recall ever seeing a chaplain. I don't mean seeing one personally, I mean EVER seeing one. (but then I never saw an aircraft carrier either )

What would be a situation where one would be in contact with a chaplain? Seriously asking.
You're directing an extraction from a combat zone with massive casualties including serious wounds to yourself. On the way to and at the trauma area you go in and out of consciousness. At some point during a brief moment of being lucid someone is there smiling and just talking to you. You have no idea where you are, what they are saying or who they are; just that something about this person's presence and words make you feel peaceful. As you are recouping awaiting your transfer to a full military facility, you see that same face wherever someone is in serious shape being brought in for emergency medical care, and that person is doing nothing but trying to comfort and bring some hope to the injured person. That's when many of us are seen by the Chaplains even though we never knew it.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:05 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
to my experience the services were rather generic, maybe ecumenical. A protestant service, RC, Buddist, Islam, whatever. So go if you want to go, or go for counseling or bible study if you want to.

Usually a chaplain was assigned to a unit for personal support purposes and I believe those interactions were not denominational, more morale and listening. Know that the commanders relied upon the chaplains as personal sounding boards but to assess the climate of the command. A second opinion I guess.

I would hate to see military chaplains done away with, they fulfill a great mission, and I can't see chaplains not having some sort of denominational pedigree or else what is the purpose?

Old 04-16-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You're directing an extraction from a combat zone with massive casualties including serious wounds to yourself. On the way to and at the trauma area you go in and out of consciousness. At some point during a brief moment of being lucid someone is there smiling and just talking to you. You have no idea where you are, what they are saying or who they are; just that something about this person's presence and words make you feel peaceful. As you are recouping awaiting your transfer to a full military facility, you see that same face wherever someone is in serious shape being brought in for emergency medical care, and that person is doing nothing but trying to comfort and bring some hope to the injured person. That's when many of us are seen by the Chaplains even though we never knew it.
Thanks for the answer. So Chaplains are attached to field medical units? I was a submariner so my military experience is very narrow. (Our overseas base was simply a ship moored in a loch in Scotland.)

Old 04-16-2015, 08:48 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Chaplains are assigned to hospitals. They are also assigned to battalions. IIRC, each battalion (be it infantry, artillery, engineer, military police, etc.) has a chaplain and a chaplain's assistant slot. Chaplains go where the soldiers go. Proportionally, a fair number of them have been killed in action over the years (100 were killed in WWII), and quite a few of them have been wounded and/or decorated for bravery (invariably risking their lives to aid wounded soldiers). A handful of chaplains have even been awarded the Medal of Honor.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
to my experience the services were rather generic, maybe ecumenical. A protestant service, RC, Buddist, Islam, whatever. So go if you want to go, or go for counseling or bible study if you want to.

Usually a chaplain was assigned to a unit for personal support purposes and I believe those interactions were not denominational, more morale and listening. Know that the commanders relied upon the chaplains as personal sounding boards but to assess the climate of the command. A second opinion I guess.

I would hate to see military chaplains done away with, they fulfill a great mission, and I can't see chaplains not having some sort of denominational pedigree or else what is the purpose?
Thanks for your answer too. Not that it matters, but I'm pretty indifferent to the idea of chaplains. No doubt based on my military experience. But if they are a positive influence I suppose they serve a purpose.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Chaplains are assigned to hospitals. They are also assigned to battalions. IIRC, each battalion (be it infantry, artillery, engineer, military police, etc.) has a chaplain and a chaplain's assistant slot. Chaplains go where the soldiers go. Proportionally, a fair number of them have been killed in action over the years (100 were killed in WWII), and quite a few of them have been wounded and/or decorated for bravery (invariably risking their lives to aid wounded soldiers). A handful of chaplains have even been awarded the Medal of Honor.
Thank you too for the information. As an aside, I still marvel at the power of the internet to provide first-hand information. The downside is that everyday I have long-held assumptions proved false.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:44 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
@Quiet:

Here is an army chaplain from WWII:

Rev. Elmer Heindl, 96; WWII Army Chaplain Received Medals for Heroism - latimes

Here's a navy guy for you:

http://tarawa1943.com/pages/Chaplain...ard%20Info.htm

And an interesting article on modern chaplains:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/29/wa...ains.html?_r=0

Last edited by joe from dayton; 04-16-2015 at 11:56 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 12:29 PM

Hey Joe,

Sincerely, thanks for the info and articles. It was interesting. I was about to shut my computer off for the weekend but then caught your post. Glad I did. ( I have made a deal with my wife/family that we go "no-internet" Thursday evening through Monday morning.) Have a nice weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues