Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,779 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm a navy wife and my husband just left for basic training 2 days ago and I am so sad I don't know how to deal with this like I need help I have questions that I want to be answer like my first question is while he's in basic training how many calls can he get or can I call him do you have visiting days at Great Lakes can I go fly out to wherever we are going to search for apartments or houses while he's in a school while he's ship away do I have to stay wherever I leave or can I go travel please someone answer my question I'm new to being a Navy wife and I need help please and thank you in advance I have another questionhow long can the soldiers stay with his family after graduation if it only four hours or is it for a long time thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 02:50 PM

17,472 posts, read 17,286,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywife18 View Post
Hello I'm a navy wife and my husband just left for basic training 2 days ago and I am so sad I don't know how to deal with this like I need help I have questions that I want to be answer like my first question is while he's in basic training how many calls can he get or can I call him do you have visiting days at Great Lakes can I go fly out to wherever we are going to search for apartments or houses while he's in a school while he's ship away do I have to stay wherever I leave or can I go travel please someone answer my question I'm new to being a Navy wife and I need help please and thank you in advance I have another questionhow long can the soldiers stay with his family after graduation if it only four hours or is it for a long time thanks again
I was in Navy boot camp in 1990. We were allowed only an occasional phone call home and we didn't get to decide when we wanted to call. Our company commander decided that for us. First day of boot camp after receiving our uniforms, we had to box up all of our civilian belongings (clothes and other personal items) and mail them back home to family. Expect the box to arrive. Keep the items in the box after you see it. Show it to him when he returns home. He'll want to tell you the story behind the box. The only visiting you'll get to do is on graduation. After graduation he'll be able to spend time with you on and off the base. Don't bother to look for an apartment in the area of his school after boot camp. Generally, the school isn't long enough to warrant the move. Once he gets his orders after school, that's the area to look for an apartment. He'll be in that area for about 3 years. If he gets stationed in Norfolk, there'll be plenty of support on base. There's plenty of recreation to pass the time if he's on a ship out at sea. There are plenty of veteran Navy wives to help ease you into Navy life.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,694 times
Try militaryonesource.com

Old 04-23-2015, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,694 times
Hang in there and try to be patient. Military life is difficult, I am new to it myself. My husband is going into his 17th year but we have only been married 6 months. Not having control of what happens is one of the more difficult things I find. As time goes by things will become easier. You have to learn to become flexible and independent. Try to allow your husband sometime to himself once in a while as well. Its not easy but you can do it. Good Luck!

Old 04-23-2015, 09:56 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,188,962 times
He should check the housing office where he is, or you can look up the number and call during working hours. No matter what we think, they're the ones who know and will likely do everything they can.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:08 PM

64 posts, read 73,923 times
My husband has been active duty Navy 15 years. We have been married for eight years.

Your best point of contact is your husband's command ombudsman (another military wife, typically the commander's wife or the like). Get her information from your husband. She will be able to answer every single one of your questions with regards to England. If she can't, she will point you in the right direction.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:45 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,371,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovinGal View Post
My husband has been active duty Navy 15 years. We have been married for eight years.

Your best point of contact is your husband's command ombudsman (another military wife, typically the commander's wife or the like). Get her information from your husband. She will be able to answer every single one of your questions with regards to England. If she can't, she will point you in the right direction.
Will her husband have a ombudsman while he's in basic? My experiences are "Key Wives" (Marine family) but I think she will have to wait until her husband has a actual command.

FYI - to OP , you are married to a Seaman Recruit at this time, when he graduates - you will be married to a "Sailor" not a soldier. Soldiers are in the Army.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:52 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,253,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Will her husband have a ombudsman while he's in basic? My experiences are "Key Wives" (Marine family) but I think she will have to wait until her husband has a actual command.
Yes, Recruit Training Command (i.e. boot camp) has ombudsmen, same as any other command. They can be found via Great Lakes' website(s) and via the office of the Command Master Chief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues