Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 11:32 AM

82 posts, read 271,474 times

Advertisements

People who engage in stolen valor are people who lie about service and awards associated with service- sometimes it could be someone who never served but wears the uniform and boasts about service in order to gain recognition or some type of benefits. I know a person who did this, total scumbag. What should a person do if they catch someone engaging in a clear cut act of stolen valor? call the police? This should be criminal. What if its someone who is clearly insane, and thinks they served?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 03:15 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
God if I worried about all those type with various service involving the public it would drive one crazy. I have heard some in my time from military; to law enforcement to others .I just do not care and most often they are seen thru in time.I see it more like fish tales.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:20 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,433,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
What if its someone who is clearly insane, and thinks they served?
If they're insane and think they served they could just as possibly view you as someone to be attacked. Stay far away from people who are mentally ill, if its a family member their delusions of military service are of little concern you're main concern should be their and their families welfare.

The only time I'd be worried about stolen valor is if the person is profiting from it. Like getting civic recognition, free dinners, etc. from their lies. If its the local commando at the gun shop talking about Ranger exploits with the CIA in Pakistan then, meh who cares?

Typically its some supply clerk over exagerating his exeriences or telling other people stories.

Not high on any list of things to get too worked up over.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:24 PM

23,390 posts, read 13,645,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
People who engage in stolen valor are people who lie about service and awards associated with service- sometimes it could be someone who never served but wears the uniform and boasts about service in order to gain recognition or some type of benefits. I know a person who did this, total scumbag. What should a person do if they catch someone engaging in a clear cut act of stolen valor? call the police? This should be criminal. What if its someone who is clearly insane, and thinks they served?
What would I do? Not a darn thing. I have neither the time nor the mission to interrogate them and determine what part of their story is true and what part is not.

Having been in the situation where people think I am a liar because of how I have been in this situation or that has been in a way that they do not know is possible, I am not about to call someone else a liar until I can absolutely verify that their case is untrue. As said, shrug, I do not have the time nor purpose to engage in such activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
...........Typically its some supply clerk over exagerating his exeriences or telling other people stories.........
This could produce an interesting paradox in that, considering the motivational speech that I as an officer might have given an enlisted, is he wrong in believing with his whole heart what he has heard?

I don't think I use a horse and nail speech when I was in, but say I did. We were a small state side station with the facilities and resources to train carrier navigation teams. So say I told my gate sentry, "We do gate searches to stop tools from leaving the base. If a special tool leaves the base, the engine can't be repaired. Because of that broken engine, the YP stays out of service. Because the YP isn't available, the navigation team can't do their training. Because they aren't ready, the carrier can't go where it is needed. Because the carrier is unable, national policy can't be carried out. You are part of that team that enables the country to be victorious."....................or, long story short, THERE ARE NO WORTHLESS JOBS IN THE NAVY.

Putting aside for a moment that one way or another, the carrier will carry out its mission, what do such lessons, such inspirations mean to the person in the years down the line? Was what they did, was what they heard, really just a lie? Or did they really do something in the Navy which was important......and in that case, how do they express it to someone who wasn't in so they might understand?

It's like the poor airman, story, who pumps up the tires of decommissioned bombers to fool the satellites. In of itself, perhaps a very minor job, but his work (and his shut mouth) is a vital latch pin of national security. (if you aren't familiar with the story, ask me).

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-02-2015 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues