Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 8,700 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first time posting about this topic and I was wondering if I would attract any decent opinions... I'm a 30 year old professional who is single with no kids. I met my current significant other via a paid, online, dating service about 7 months ago. We met in person 6 months ago. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and she lives about 1,200 miles East. I was not interested in pursuing her due to the distance, but she assured me that she is 1.5 years into a med-board retirement and it has always been her dream to move to my area.
Afteter going through all the "what-if" situations, I came to find that she is a special ops Army Officer who has served since she was 18. She is also 30 years old. Well, we see each other for about a week every month, whether I go visit her or she comes to visit me. I have never had a long distance relationship and was also skeptical, but it seems to be going well! Here is my issue: She still has not received her orders, we do have a very general timeline of when we think they will come. In the mean time, she is under an intense amount of stress, PTSD, and may (come to find) end up staying in the area she currently resides due to a job offer. This throws a wrench into our game plan, but I told her that since I love her I am willing to move just to be with her. We got into a couple intense fights the last two times we visited each other. I am posting this to not only vent, but to see if anyone has any opinion or input on this. I am naive about the military and she has taught me a lot. She can be stubborn and 'detached/desensitized' at times and that frustrates me. But I do love her. Again, she is a captain, officer, green beret, special ops, 12 years Army service, has been blown up, killed and seen death. PTSD and I'm not perfect either I'm there for her. Any advice on to how I should and can help her and I get through these crazy fights?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 07:10 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp208 View Post
Hello, this is my first time posting about this topic and I was wondering if I would attract any decent opinions... I'm a 30 year old professional who is single with no kids. I met my current significant other via a paid, online, dating service about 7 months ago. We met in person 6 months ago. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and she lives about 1,200 miles East. I was not interested in pursuing her due to the distance, but she assured me that she is 1.5 years into a med-board retirement and it has always been her dream to move to my area.
Afteter going through all the "what-if" situations, I came to find that she is a special ops Army Officer who has served since she was 18. She is also 30 years old. Well, we see each other for about a week every month, whether I go visit her or she comes to visit me. I have never had a long distance relationship and was also skeptical, but it seems to be going well! Here is my issue: She still has not received her orders, we do have a very general timeline of when we think they will come. In the mean time, she is under an intense amount of stress, PTSD, and may (come to find) end up staying in the area she currently resides due to a job offer. This throws a wrench into our game plan, but I told her that since I love her I am willing to move just to be with her. We got into a couple intense fights the last two times we visited each other. I am posting this to not only vent, but to see if anyone has any opinion or input on this. I am naive about the military and she has taught me a lot. She can be stubborn and 'detached/desensitized' at times and that frustrates me. But I do love her. Again, she is a captain, officer, green beret, special ops, 12 years Army service, has been blown up, killed and seen death. PTSD and I'm not perfect either I'm there for her. Any advice on to how I should and can help her and I get through these crazy fights?
She is a liar. If she is lying about being a green beret then what else is she lying about? Move on.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:25 PM

Again I am naive about the military but i know she is special forces commando, airborn, she is an officer, among other things pehaps she just worked it has done special ops missions with green beret....

Old 06-20-2015, 07:47 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Quote:
Again I am naive about the military but i know she is special forces commando, airborn, she is an officer, among other things pehaps she just worked it has done special ops missions with green beret....
She is not a "commando". Maybe she went to airborne school but that doesn't make her a "commando". A lot of the stuff you said such as joining at 18 and becoming a Captain by 30 doesn't add up. Her ability to spend a week with you every month is odd as well.

You met her on an online dating site?

I used to work with a woman that was a former Navy Seal. That and she was bat $hit crazy/delusional.

This woman is a liar. I wouldn't invest too much in her.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:55 PM

I appreciate your input and I am naive about the rankings and positions, however I have met (on her base) other officials, seen her awards, photos of when she became a captain and an officer. She was a captain medical officer. ... and got blown up (I was there for some of her surguries) so now she is in med board. I'vemet her PABLO as well. I don't think she is being deceitful inist find it extremely difficult to date her do to get lack of humility and her being so d sensitized.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:56 PM

Sry I'm on my phone... gotta love autocorrect

Old 06-20-2015, 08:07 PM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
Were her surgeries in a mitary hospital that you were there for ?

Old 06-20-2015, 08:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
She is not a "commando". Maybe she went to airborne school but that doesn't make her a "commando". A lot of the stuff you said such as joining at 18 and becoming a Captain by 30 doesn't add up. Her ability to spend a week with you every month is odd as well.

You met her on an online dating site?

I used to work with a woman that was a former Navy Seal. That and she was bat $hit crazy/delusional.

This woman is a liar. I wouldn't invest too much in her.
This is actually possible if she enlisted at 18 and was commissioned thereafter and made rank by that point. I know a guy that legitimately did this. However, it is unlikely.

Quote:
This story is pretty unlikely. If she was medically boarded and retired 1.5 years ago (very rare to get this without 15 years in), then she would have had her orders right when she received her medical retirement.

If I were you, I would request to see her DD-214 (separation/retirement paperwork). You don't need to do it in an accusatory way. Just say something like "Hey that's cool. I'd really like to see it."

Also, check out this site: guardiansofvalor.com. There's a lot of info about stolen valor on there, which actually is relatively common.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:03 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
So, she is a Captain, Medical Corps. Nurse or Doctor?
Where is she stationed that is an Army base 1200 miles East of the Pacific Northwest?
Does she wear jump wings on her jacket? If not, she is not a qualified parachutist.
How many rows of "fruit salad" does she wear above her left pocket? Ask her to explain what all of them mean.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:57 PM

207 posts, read 226,516 times
Why invest so much to someone who is crazy? Dump her, even if this is all true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues