Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 02:43 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The reason for that is because the pay is out of alignment for the task. The military uses fear and intimidation instead of paying market rate for such tasks.
If the task is hard to do or requires a rare competency there will be sizable cash bonuses offered every 4 years at re-enlistment time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 12:22 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
The reason for that is because the pay is out of alignment for the task. The military uses fear and intimidation instead of paying market rate for such tasks.
I've never seen anyone coerced. People in the military, unlike you, do what needs to be done. There are also different types of pay for hazardous duty assignments. I got flight pay. Submariner got sub pay. He can tell you what it's actually called. But, having never been in the military, you'll never understand what motivates us. I don't know why you even post here. All your posts tend to be very negative in nature.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:18 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've never seen anyone coerced. People in the military, unlike you, do what needs to be done. There are also different types of pay for hazardous duty assignments. I got flight pay. Submariner got sub pay. He can tell you what it's actually called. But, having never been in the military, you'll never understand what motivates us. I don't know why you even post here. All your posts tend to be very negative in nature.
Some people were in the military but still turned out to be sad sacks, some had the "From Here to Eternity" experience.

But not most, and that wasn't typical.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:52 AM

1,991 posts, read 900,502 times
Quote:
Are you purposely obtuse? I'll make it simpler for you.

In the civilian world the conversation goes like this: " Kid go burn that sh*t in the latrines" " Kid says " Eww! No way! Do it yourself. I quit!"

Military order goes like this: "Private go burn that sh*t in the latrines" Private says "Yes Sir!"

Doesn't matter what the subject of the command is, the military have sworn an oath to obey the orders of those above them. This oath involves making sacrifices up to and including the demise of oneself. This is why the government gives Vet preference to Fed hiring. It's an acknowledgment of those sacrifices.

Yes, the Defense industry is a very important part of keeping our country safe, but until you are actually the point of the spear, you don't deserve preference points for Fed hiring.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:10 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post

Yes, the Defense industry is a very important part of keeping our country safe, but until you are actually the point of the spear, you don't deserve preference points for Fed hiring.
The whole spear gets tossed at the enemy. Without the shaft behind it, the point is just a rock.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:45 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
... Yes, the Defense industry is a very important part of keeping our country safe, but until you are actually the point of the spear, you don't deserve preference points for Fed hiring.
LOL, good Lord more exclusiveness. Nobody is a 'real' veteran unless they were the point of the spear, right?

Next we can argue over how many marines are faking it because they did not serve in a 'real' war.

At my VFW post, the WWII vets all carry chips on their shoulders because the WWI vets refused to let them join the VFW back when WWII was over, saying that they were not 'real' vets. It took the WWII vets a decade of fighting over the issue before the National VFW agreed to allow the WWII vets to join.

Then the Korea-era vets got the same treatment from both the WWI vets and the WWII vets.

And we all know the treatment the VN vets got.

I am thankful that when I retired I showed up with my DD-214 and showed my combat medals I was immediately allowed to join. But years later, I still have to deal with all of these old guys carrying decades old anger and resentment.

Anyone who served is a vet. If you got combat pay and a combat medal, then you are a combat vet. Lets stop the spreading exclusiveness and hatred among the vet community.
Don't we have enough issues without adding this petty nonsense onto the pile?

Old 12-13-2017, 01:03 PM

363 posts, read 350,044 times
Quote:
Are you purposely obtuse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dakxwoVV7yM

went to youtube, entered one word (obtuse) in the search, and this video was the top result.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
LOL, good Lord more exclusiveness. Nobody is a 'real' veteran unless they were the point of the spear, right?

Next we can argue over how many marines are faking it because they did not serve in a 'real' war.

At my VFW post, the WWII vets all carry chips on their shoulders because the WWI vets refused to let them join the VFW back when WWII was over, saying that they were not 'real' vets. It took the WWII vets a decade of fighting over the issue before the National VFW agreed to allow the WWII vets to join.

Then the Korea-era vets got the same treatment from both the WWI vets and the WWII vets.

And we all know the treatment the VN vets got.

I am thankful that when I retired I showed up with my DD-214 and showed my combat medals I was immediately allowed to join. But years later, I still have to deal with all of these old guys carrying decades old anger and resentment.

Anyone who served is a vet. If you got combat pay and a combat medal, then you are a combat vet. Lets stop the spreading exclusiveness and hatred among the vet community.
Don't we have enough issues without adding this petty nonsense onto the pile?
I think you misunderstood my point. I included all Vets as the point of the spear. The shaft is the defense industry who back us up. I make no distinction between squid, grunt, zoomie, or jarhead. All Vets answered the call which is why all Vets should receive Vet preference.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dakxwoVV7yM

went to youtube, entered one word (obtuse) in the search, and this video was the top result.
Oh Lord, now you have me wondering if I subconsciously regurgitated that phrase after watching "Shankshaw".

Old 12-18-2017, 04:24 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,773 times
Quote:
When you are in an NTE position do you get preference as an existing fed employee and is that preference equivalent to veterans status? Or is it like applying from the street?

I agree that this whole federal boondoggle is not all the fault of the hiring manager but OPM is also part of the federal govt, what are their criteria that they are using to put people on the BQ list? My understanding is that the "qualifications" is basically a box checking exercise and so long as a vet meets the minimum quals (ie checks the boxes) it wont matter if a civilian has 20 years of experience and more detailed experience/expertise/etc. So if say the BQ list is 20 people and there are 15 vets who are minimally qualified they will automatically get on the BQ list and then its a blood bath for the other 5 slots.

I am sure I could file a freedom of information act request in order to get the exact process that the OPM uses but that wont help me beat out vets so it would be mostly a waste of time. Unless a job pops up that requires my EXACT niche skills the odds of trying to leverage say a chemical engineering degree for a mechanical engineering spot when a significant amount of my experience involves mechanical wont matter because there are likely an abundance of ME or CE vets (at least enough to bump me out). So unless the job SPECIFICLY requires chemical engineering PLUS a professional license and does not have exemptions I don't bother applying.
There is a formula that OPM uses. You get points for your education. Points for your work experience, as well as points for veterans preference. The way it was explained to me, is that the 5 points vets get is equal to an associates degree, or 5 years of work experience. So a bachelors degree will beat out vets preference, if the vet never went to college.

More than likely, due to the area you are applying in, you are going against people with a similar education as you, and vets preference. I know that unless the job asks for a specific degree, all degrees are treated the same. So Chemical Engineering, would be treated the same as Woman's Studies, if you are applying for a non-technical position.

If you are able to move, applying in rural areas is the best way to get your foot in the door. It is very hard for the U.S. government to fill positions in Montana, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues