Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:23 PM

3 posts, read 10,705 times

Advertisements

I'm currently am trying to join the army my record is expunged I told the recruiter I didnt have a record because it was expunged. But I was also to by a higher authority that I would not have to disclose my expungement because it was dropped I don't want speculations I need an actual for sure truth so I can know if I need to tell my recruiter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 10:25 PM

3 posts, read 10,705 times
Default Expungement

Can the army see your expungement and if you have a expungement does that mean u can't get in?

Old 07-26-2015, 07:57 AM

12,107 posts, read 23,271,144 times
An expungement will not show up on a typical civilian background check; it is frequently written into the laws of various states that you can say, "no" if you are asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime. Government agencies have access to databases that civilians don't have access to, so your arrest and expungement will show up. I'm not a recruiter, but whether you can enlist or not depends on what the offense was and how long ago it was.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:25 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,826 times
If it was recorded it happened, period.

You smoked pot with Johnny Hopkins once, you can say no to that.

You got arrested for but not convicted of a crime, you better say something or your butt is toast.

I had a super minor infraction as a juvenile, no cuffs, no courtroom, and I was told I didn't have to worry about it. So I didn't include it on my paperwork to join the military. They found out, and they were pissed, might have kicked me out had it not been such a stupid arrest and my careerfield in such high demand at the time.

I'd tell the truth, if it's a crime that dq's you from military service, so be it. But if it's just a minor thing tell them and they'll waiver you in if your solid elsewhere.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:09 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
If you go into a career field that requires a security clearance, they will find it.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:36 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
If the conviction is recorded in the National Crime Information Center (NCIC), then expungement order or not chances are it is still there. Who can see/access the information is another matter.

Sealed records like expunged does not usually mean a conviction is reversed, just that the records are not available to the general public. In the former access is restricted an the latter usually means destroyed. It varies by jurisdiction and some use the terms interchangeably to mean pretty much the same thing.

Have seen various applications where persons are asked to list *all* criminal convictions including those with sealed and or expunged records. They further state if the latter two have happened the applicant must consent to making said records available.

Take away message is neither sealing nor expunged records remove a criminal conviction; just make the information difficult to get at.

If you were applying for a job at the local Piggly-Wiggly I wouldn't bother, but since this is the military we're talking about play it safe and mention it to your recruiter and see what he has to advise.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:09 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,329,532 times
Tell the truth (they don't ask you if you have a "record", they ask if you've been arrested) or you could face a heap load of trouble later on. Lying is worse than the offense. If you can't get in with your past that's called consequences. Welcome to the real world.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:10 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,326,463 times
They don't ask if you have a record, they ask if it happened. Expungement doesn't mean it didn't happen. You must disclose it. The FBI background check will come back showing the record.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Your arrest will show up. It may or may not matter. So will a conviction, expunged, or no. Failure to disclose is a bad idea.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:37 AM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Tell the truth (they don't ask you if you have a "record", they ask if you've been arrested) or you could face a heap load of trouble later on. Lying is worse than the offense. If you can't get in with your past that's called consequences. Welcome to the real world.
Many employers used to do the same thing until some state and or local laws forbade directly asking about arrests. Then they switched to asking about criminal convictions and now that seems to be going away in some places as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues