Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 11:14 AM

217 posts, read 283,235 times

Advertisements

Ah, I understand. No one is going to take me seriously just looking at me, especially with my fat-ass. But if I do something extraordinary or at LEAST look like someone serious, THEN I will be respected. But what's more serious than a military uniform and dog tags?

I hate people so much right now where i am, I almost want to become a cop just to bully them, except nobody respects cops, and I don't even WANT to be a cop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 10:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinBo View Post
Having done some thinking, and with my lack of faith in the government and recent bitterness with people in general, I don't really feel like this country is worth fighting for, and I don't think the people in it are worth dying for.
This, in and of itself, is a pretty good indication that a military career would not be a good fit.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:39 PM

Yeah. I was kind of playing devil's advocate with myself. I don't know why I've been so cynical lately. Maybe I need to hang around better people.

That's one way that I looked at it. The other way I looked at it, is that I still am interested in some of the things that I could learn in the military, and the kind of work I can do in it, and the benefits. And even though I don't like EVERY person I meet (feels like most, lately in school), I know for a fact that there are people worth fighting for and protecting. My family, a few friends, and a few good people I know in general, as examples.

Really, the only two things I don't like about the idea of being in the military, is concerns about future relations between the US and people like Russia and China, and the idea of being tied to the government. I'm guessing that if I enlist, and the US ends up in some big war within the next decade, I'm almost a dead man, one way or another.

As far as being tied to the government goes, I only see that as an issue if I can actually live some place else. If it's really true like what VeganWriter said, in that right now, the US is pretty much the only place where I can make a life for myself without my race or nationality being an issue, then I might as well establish myself here, and serve this country, and reap the benefits while doing something I want to do that I can't do elsewhere, which is something along the lines of rescue work.

Last edited by TinBo; 08-17-2015 at 02:17 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 02:21 PM

If you're opposed to being tied to the government (including government benefits such as GI Bill, Tricare health coverage, VA benefits, etc.), I'd definitely not go the military route.

The U.S. military has been involved in 'some big war' or another for a large percentage of its history. I don't know that that reality makes everyone involved with the military "almost a dead man, one way or another."

Old 08-17-2015, 02:40 PM

Well, you got a point. I guess I'm just thinking of all the WWII movies, especially what happened on D-Day, but that was mostly with ground soldiers, right? And I'm planning to be either in the Air Force, or the Coast Guard.

I guess my concern is that if I join the military, it will somehow make it harder to be accepted abroad, or that even after my 8 years minimum of service is up, someone will still find some way to force me to re-join. This is a concern that I'm trying to alleviate with info, but I'm having a hard time finding info.

Besides, if something really big happens to this country in a war, I'd rather be fighting the enemy, protecting people, and getting people to safety, instead of just running and hiding.

I'm sure I am looking pretty conflicted, right about now.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:45 PM

You do have to recognize that modern warfighting is not WWII warfighting.

Also, there is no conscription. Nobody can make you forcibly rejoin anything when your enlistment is up.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:01 PM

I'm a little curious to what WWIII would be like without the nukes.

Really, something like conscription was the main con that I was afraid of with the idea of enlisting. Are there any cons with joining the military I should consider? Besides being in danger or being away from my family.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:21 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinBo View Post
I'm a little curious to what WWIII would be like without the nukes.

For planning and training purposes we used to assume the Golan Heights during the 1973 Yom Kippur War on a larger scale with poison gas as NATO tried to stop the Soviets from overrunning West Germany. I forgot a replay of the Battle of the Atlantic with more missiles and air attacks and fewer submarine torpedos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues