U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,104 times

Advertisements

i am 25 years old. i have been thinking abiu tenlisting for awhile now and ive narrowed it down to either the army or air force. i am married and i have an 11 and 7 year old step child that are basically my kids. my wife and i have talked and she is supportive but idk what would be a good decision. my grandpa was in the air force and a mp. i also quick college to get a job ti better provide for my family ao i have some student dept also. So id like some advice on whats the diffwrence i know the difference in active duty but im asking abiut the reserves and guard of each branch (the af and thw army). i wanna know what yall have done or delt with. i dont want some stupid reply i really want aome advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 05:44 AM

32,494 posts, read 52,888,037 times
Hace you tsken the ASVAB ydt?

Do you know if either serbice will accept you?

With a wife and 2 childrwn, you have 3 dependents. That mwy require waivers to get in.

You mentkon being able to support your family, do ylu understand that reserves and guard are usually part-time jobs? Part time jobs do nlt provide full-time pay.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:28 AM

3,512 posts, read 10,941,158 times
You know you will only make about $300 a month in the Reserves,right? Just making sure you know that. Curious why you aren't considering active duty?

Old 09-22-2016, 10:24 AM

596 posts, read 357,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

With a wife and 2 childrwn, you have 3 dependents. That mwy require waivers to get in.

You mentkon being able to support your family, do ylu understand that reserves and guard are usually part-time jobs? Part time jobs do nlt provide full-time pay.

Brilant.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:50 PM

7,658 posts, read 3,829,357 times
a lot more screaming and drama in the army and marines than the air force. Air force is a more professional branch of the military with more high tech equipment. However the airforce has the waist test so you have to be almost sickly skinny to stay in. If I had the waist line I would have done airforce but it did not work out and I tried army guard and it was a disaster. The screaming, drama and posturing was just too far over the top even after basic training. A lot of tough talk but the days of a good ole fashion brawl to settle a screaming match is no longer tolerated. If a private gets tired of the yelling he should be able to challenge the sgt to a fight so there is some mutual respect afterwards.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:51 PM

7,658 posts, read 3,829,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Yep with full time deployment liability exposure, but if you get deployed for at least 6 months then you get your 5 points to make getting a full time civilian fed job easier.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:17 PM

12,972 posts, read 10,118,010 times
It just really depends on where your interests and talents are. There are pluses and minuses in everything.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:23 PM

32,494 posts, read 52,888,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
a lot more screaming and drama in the army and marines than the air force. Air force is a more professional branch of the military with more high tech equipment. However the airforce has the waist test so you have to be almost sickly skinny to stay in. If I had the waist line I would have done airforce but it did not work out and I tried army guard and it was a disaster. The screaming, drama and posturing was just too far over the top even after basic training. A lot of tough talk but the days of a good ole fashion brawl to settle a screaming match is no longer tolerated. If a private gets tired of the yelling he should be able to challenge the sgt to a fight so there is some mutual respect afterwards.
I have had a few tenants who were AF. It always seemed that their commands treated them a lot better, with more respect than how the Navy treated us.

On the other hand, at one of my duty stations, I was an E5 in the Navy and I obviously could afford to buy an apartment complex. So as E5s and E6s in the AF they were my renters. Our take-home pay was totally different.

At a later duty station, I was an E6 nearing my retirement and I owned some different apartments where I had some AF E6s as tenants. They were really struggling to make ends meet to support their families and to pay my rent.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:08 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,905,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
If you wanted something more than talk, you should have joined the Marine Corps. They aren't afraid to lay their hands on you.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:04 PM

7,453 posts, read 5,367,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
If you wanted something more than talk, you should have joined the Marine Corps. They aren't afraid to lay their hands on you.

I can vouch for that. I had it happen to me and saw it happen to others. The ones that had it the worst were those who didn't do well on the range. The DIs asked for gloves and worked those poor guys over so bad they came out of the office doubled over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues