Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 04:36 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times

Advertisements

When I was in the service in the latter half of the 70’s, weed has highly frowned upon. Getting caught or testing positive seemed to be a one-way ticket out of the service.

There may have been other mitigating factors but I remember losing one roommate when he was busted with a baggie. He was discharged but I have no idea of the type of discharged he received. He was a minority member from California and given today’s climate, it made me wonder what became of him.

We got along great but my record and reel-to-reel tape collection confounded him. As he used to ask me, “How can a dumbass cracker from Alabama know more about jazz than me?”

Are the services still pretty strict or have the penalties moderated somewhat with the public’s changing attitude? I can’t imagine that the penalties are any less strict but, I don’t know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 06:12 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
The services are still strict on marijuana as marijuana use and possession is still prohibited by federal law. Marijuana is still one of the controlled substances that we get drug tested for and testing positive for marijuana can result in a discharge. Note, I write "can" because even the Navy's so-called "zero tolerance" program for illegal drugs--which I imagine is the same policy for all of the branches--doesn't actually mean zero tolerance. I witnessed an administrative separation board where the member admitted to using drugs, but the board found some loophole to keep said member.

As for marijuana use prohibiting you from joining the military, it would all depend on how long before applying that you last used, though I'd get clarification from a recruiter about things for those considering joining.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:47 PM

Thank you. I thought that might be the case and I appreciate the confirmation.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:53 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
One of my former students, eight or nine years ago now, got caught with a fair amount of weed in the barracks. The Marines court martialed, convicted and dishonorabled him right out.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:02 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
...Note, I write "can" because even the Navy's so-called "zero tolerance" program for illegal drugs--which I imagine is the same policy for all of the branches--doesn't actually mean zero tolerance. I witnessed an administrative separation board where the member admitted to using drugs, but the board found some loophole to keep said member.
When I was active duty Navy, the policy was "zero tolerance." Popping positive for drugs on a **** test meant Captain's Mast, ADSEP and an OTH discharge. HOWEVER, at the CO's discretion, he could direct that, if it was determined that the member held extraordinary "potential," said member could be retained after popping positive. This only applied to junior enlisted. If a Chief or officer popped positive, they were automatically out. I saw it happen a handful of times when I was on the ship. A junior sailor would pop positive, go to Mast, get sent to rehab and come back to the ship.

I can't imagine much has changed. The military takes a very dim view of drug use. I did have guys who worked for me who admitted to marijuana use prior to enlisting to and still got in. It depends on the situation. I'd imagine if somebody admitted to actually dealing drugs that would disqualify them for enlistment. But I think DPMarie can speak to that better than I can.

--

Old 06-11-2020, 11:28 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
The only times I ever witnessed or sort of personally knew of where someone got positive and still stayed in was when they took prescription pills illegally, but illegally in a way that they were prescribed originally but the prescription expired, still had some left, took it for some pain issue or something, got caught.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:48 PM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,535 times
Back in the 80s in the Army it was E5 or up, you're out, E4 and below got one chance. I'm sure it has changed with all of the deployments. I had an friend (E5) that worked at the post collection facility for urinalysis - never saw a more nervous guy, actually got death threats. Knew a guy at Bliss that maxxed his PT test every time, but took steroids he used to get from Juarez - Article 15 and he was out. Also, state policies do not affect federal policies - I drove tractor trailer for many years, and a lot of guys would get busted on the DOT urinalysis when they thought that the state laws protected them.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:10 PM

My tech school was 52 weeks in length. Phase I was 16 and that was a mix of classrooms and practicals in the lab. Phase II was 36 weeks of rotation through each section of the lab along with classes 5 days a week and testing about every 10 days. You get to select your Phase II base from a list. The higher your class standing, the more certain you'll get your top choice. Most people went where they wanted to go.

When I hit Maxwell, I was kind of shocked at the drug use in the enlisted "hospital" dorm. I was also shocked at the animosity between the base police and the hospital enlisted staff. That said, someone always got a heads-up when the dogs were coming through the dorm. Suddenly, you'd see half a dozen guys running back to the dorm in the middle of the day based on a phone call.

As a med lab tech, we had to collect the 'golden flow' samples - that is, we had to witness the guys taking a leak into the container. Mainly, it was turn around, keep the stall door open and pee in the cup.

When I finished there and was sent back to Lackland, everyone was pretty much aware of who used drugs and who didn't. I worked mostly 2300-0700 or 1500-2300 most of my time there and I also had a civilian job at a local hospital. I literally worked 7 days a week for almost three years and one summer, every Friday was 24 hour straight.

When I heard my roomie and his friends were partying in our room, I told him that I didn't care what he did - just don't keep the drugs in the room. He apparently forgot that and got caught. I suspect he was too baked to remember to store his stash somewhere outside. I felt badly for him but, it was his choice.

Often, I think back to all the ways it could have gone wrong. What if he had stored the drugs in my stuff, without my knowledge? Or in the refrigerator in the room? Other than an inconvenience, I could have easily passed a drug test so that would seem to be my only way out unless he stepped up and took ownership. Fortunately, it didn't come to that.

Edit: the best rooms in my dorm at Maxwell were those that faced what was called, 'the cadet pool'. More than one enlisted guy had a telescope pointed in that direction. If you look at a map today, this would be at the intersection of Maxwell Blvd and Twining St. All that's left of that area where three dorms previously existed is the parking lot. The pool is still there though. Good times. lol

Old 06-11-2020, 03:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
When I was in the service in the latter half of the 70’s, weed has highly frowned upon. Getting caught or testing positive seemed to be a one-way ticket out of the service.

There may have been other mitigating factors but I remember losing one roommate when he was busted with a baggie. He was discharged but I have no idea of the type of discharged he received. He was a minority member from California and given today’s climate, it made me wonder what became of him.

We got along great but my record and reel-to-reel tape collection confounded him. As he used to ask me, “How can a dumbass cracker from Alabama know more about jazz than me?”

Are the services still pretty strict or have the penalties moderated somewhat with the public’s changing attitude? I can’t imagine that the penalties are any less strict but, I don’t know!
You are conflating multiple issues. What's a "minority member?" Are you saying he was Black?

In the military, the rules and regulations are all on the books. So, from the past to now, the regulations can be traced.

Now, the issue is application of those rules and regulations. Do you believe white service people who get caught with weed are treated differently than Black service people who get caught with weed? Are some given the benefit of an officer turning a blind eye while others don't?

I did a quick Google search and the answer seems to be YES. The Department of Defense looked into this.

Article: The Military Justice System Has A Race Problem, According To DoD Data

Old 06-11-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You are conflating multiple issues. What's a "minority member?" Are you saying he was Black?

In the military, the rules and regulations are all on the books. So, from the past to now, the regulations can be traced.

Now, the issue is application of those rules and regulations. Do you believe white service people who get caught with weed are treated differently than Black service people who get caught with weed? Are some given the benefit of an officer turning a blind eye while others don't?

I did a quick Google search and the answer seems to be YES. The Department of Defense looked into this.

Article: The Military Justice System Has A Race Problem, According To DoD Data

My question was quite clear and others, speaking from their more recent experiences, responded quite nicely. Thanks for your service!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues