Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 04:08 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this? My fiance is a Marine veteran, aged 53. We were just declined for life insurance, got a letter from the company stating they are declining to insure him because his VA records have a diagnoses of alcohol dependence. This is not accurate. My fiance went through a very rough divorce and has alimony (divorce was way before me) and was depressed and angry for a long time back then. He told a VA psychologist at the time that he was drinking a lot, and that was true then. But he was never an alcoholic.

He doesn't drink a lot now, a couple beers on the weekend or social drinking with his buddies. That was just a time when he was going through a lot and having trouble coping (which is why he requested talking to a psychologist in the first place). We were shocked when we got the letter, and then printed out and read his records. We had no idea the psychologist had actually given him a diagnoses of alcohol dependence that is now going to follow him around forever.

Has anyone ever tried to dispute information on their VA records? We don't even know where to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 08:03 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,044,435 times
1. Have your veteran contact the Patient Advocate at your local VA treatment facility. Explain the issue.

2. Discuss with his primary care provider.

It will be difficult to change a subjective clinical assessment--right or wrong, the psych provider is recording their observations and making a diagnosis based on their training based on the interaction with the patient at the time. The only thing that might work is to have a qualified medical opinion that refutes the "alcohol dependency" diagnosis by stating the use of alcohol was acute to the events in his life at the time and no longer an issue.

Insurance is unforgiving. I doubt it will change much. Sorry.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:36 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
During that period in his life, did you and he know each other? If not, there may be more to the events and thinking the VA record is wrong may be the actual false assumption. However, as mentioned above, start with an independent review of all the medical records.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:50 PM

440 posts, read 240,508 times
"Alcohol dependence" describes the vast majority of adults. Most have not had it written in their medical record, though.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:15 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,334,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
1. Have your veteran contact the Patient Advocate at your local VA treatment facility. Explain the issue.

It will be difficult to change a subjective clinical assessment--right or wrong, the psych provider is recording their observations and making a diagnosis based on their training based on the interaction with the patient at the time. The only thing that might work is to have a qualified medical opinion that refutes the "alcohol dependency" diagnosis by stating the use of alcohol was acute to the events in his life at the time and no longer an issue.

This is a correct answer. Removing information from medical records is almost impossible, because doctors can use their opinions for diagnoses like this one.

Old 07-12-2020, 12:11 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Has anyone done this? My fiance is a Marine veteran, aged 53.
Probably a lot more to the story.

HEPA laws and everything. Release of information signed documents.

Go to the VA and obtain a copy of all medical records and start there.

Go visit the Patients Advocate office.

Then get a different life insurance company.

Old 07-12-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post

I know, I’m just hoping for the best. Another insurance company that our agent applied to for us actually came out and did the exam last week. So I’m assuming they read the records before that, so maybe they’re OK with it. I don’t know we’ll have to wait and see what happens when the exam results come back. I wasn’t aware of patient advocate, thanks for that information!

Old 07-12-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Probably a lot more to the story.

HEPA laws and everything. Release of information signed documents.

Go to the VA and obtain a copy of all medical records and start there.

Go visit the Patients Advocate office.

Then get a different life insurance company.
We do have his medical records. I was able to print them out from my health-e vet. It was 36 pages though, and we neglected to read them until we got that letter. He did sign a release of records form, but he was surprised that mental health records would be in there he thought that would be more confidential. It actually had conversations they had in them.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:40 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
. I wasn’t aware of patient advocate, thanks for that information!
Every hospital that I have been in both civilian and VA have a Patients Advocate office. Maybe real small private hospitals don't have one.

But even with the small private hospitals - just visit or call the Directors office. All hospitals will have an administrative director and a medical director.

But the bottom line. Probably a good idea not to sign any release of information to anyone without some real serious thought to the implications.

Seems like all entities want your credit report and your medical records. Too much information going to people that don't need it.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:00 PM

440 posts, read 240,508 times
I know a guy that got frostbite while serving in the Korean War. Honorably discharged. His widow has been trying to straighten out benefits for a dozen years (with a lawyer and sworn statement from his CO) and VA will not even acknowledge he ever served. Good luck sorting a medical record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues