Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 12:02 PM

39,336 posts, read 27,718,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Lily,

I provided links from www.airforce.com and quotes from www.airforce.com that confirm that if you have given up custody you are ineligible to join, and links from the same websites that confirm that single parents can join. I literally provided proof from the AIR FORCE. I'm so sorry that random third party, old, and outdated websites have you confused. Please see the actual links from the actual Air Force.

Our regulations change frequently. For example, we didn't used to accept full sleeve tattoos, and about a year ago we started. I bet there are 100 websites that say a full sleeve tattoo disqualifies you because our Air Force marketing team can't contact every third party website and have them change info every single time we change something. We used to do credit checks on every applicant, and any derogatory credit information make you ineligible. About 2 months ago we changed to only doing credit checks on people over 23 years old or who need certain clearances, but not every third party website is updated. Basic training used to be 6 weeks, now it is 8, but many websites still say it is 6 weeks because sometimes their owners don't keep them updated, or there are old news articles that no one will update. Our age limit used to be 28, and now it is 39, but a billion websites still stay it is 28 because no one bothers to update them. We used to limit marijuana use to 15 times in your life before you were disqualified to join. We removed that limit, and now there is NO limit, but many websites still state there is a limit. People create websites, publish blogs, write news articles, and they quickly become outdated. Fake News. Please refer to www.airforce.com for the most recent info.

We put the updated information on OUR WEBSITES, so using our website is the only way to ensure you have up to date information. We can't police every website on earth, as there are countless websites and blogs about joining the military, and we change our rules all the time. We don't have the manpower to get everything updated.

Using third party websites will also have a risk that information is outdated.

Single Parents Can Join the Air Force
Giving up custody of your children renders you ineligible to join the Air Force
Quote:
I know they are wrong. I will repost again the information from www.airforce.com

Here is a quote from www.airforce.com, vs a third party website:
"Transferring custody of family members for the purpose of entering the Air Force is prohibited, and renders enlisted applicants “permanently disqualified.”"
From: https://www.airforce.com/frequently-...-the-air-force

Also from www.airforce.com (vs a third party website)
"Can I join the Air Force if I have children?
Provided you are otherwise qualified, you may enlist if you are married and have legal, physical custody of up to two children who are under age 18 and incapable of self-care. You will need a waiver to enlist if:
• You are married and have three children under age 18 who are incapable of self-care.
• If you are a single parent (whether separated, divorced or common-law partner) with legal, physical custody of up to three children under 18 who are incapable of self-care.
For more information and guidance regarding your situation, contact your local recruiter."
The waiver consists of the "family care plan" I was talking about, and is extremely easy to get.
Thank you for the info and please keep up the great work that you've done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 02:35 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,351,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
What happens in the various services when a single woman becomes pregnant while deployed?
They get in trouble. In true combat zones, sexual intercourse is prohibited and can lead to court martial- for this reason but also to prevent STDs that require treatment and take away from combat effectiveness. But ultimately, if it happens, they will be sent home. However, the military knows people will have sex, so they provide free condoms (there are fish bowls filled with them all over for the taking) and also contraceptives for women who want them. Many women are on the pill, IUD, depo, etc.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:42 PM

6,612 posts, read 7,113,868 times
Quote:
They get in trouble. In true combat zones, sexual intercourse is prohibited and can lead to court martial- for this reason but also to prevent STDs that require treatment and take away from combat effectiveness. But ultimately, if it happens, they will be sent home. However, the military knows people will have sex, so they provide free condoms (there are fish bowls filled with them all over for the taking) and also contraceptives for women who want them. Many women are on the pill, IUD, depo, etc.
I didn't see any contraceptives! LOL. We had experience with pregnancy while deployed. I will leave it at that.

I personally stayed true to my spouse but saw some that didn't. None of my business. I spent my off time watching movies and complaining to my wife how sucky it was in Iraq in 03-04 OIF 1 and 2. My wife has two full shoe boxes of letters from me from that year.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:17 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,617,266 times
Quote:
What happens in the various services when a single woman becomes pregnant while deployed?
Others pick up the slack until a replacement arrives.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:01 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,063,641 times
Quote:
umm...not in any desert deployment.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:42 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,351,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
umm...not in any desert deployment.
Maybe it's an Air Force thing or a new thing? Also, I stand corrected, they give them away at public health, not everywhere.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:39 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,063,641 times
Quote:
Maybe it's an Air Force thing or a new thing? Also, I stand corrected, they give them away at public health, not everywhere.
Nope....not an Air Force thing. I can see maybe on a Navy ship, but I won’t even go there.....lol

Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,878,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Nope....not an Air Force thing. I can see maybe on a Navy ship, but I won’t even go there.....lol
I've only seen it one place in the Air Force, that was at Clark AB in the Philippines...which was a 'way, 'way difference circumstance from any of the deployments to Islamic countries.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:32 AM

601 posts, read 462,195 times
Quote:
I heard about a woman that got pregnant in Iraq - both parties were given field grade Article 15's, which entails major reduction in rank (like from E-4 to E-1 or E-2).

Old 04-02-2018, 08:58 AM

6,612 posts, read 7,113,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
I heard about a woman that got pregnant in Iraq - both parties were given field grade Article 15's, which entails major reduction in rank (like from E-4 to E-1 or E-2).
This happened more than once in the 10 years of the Iraq occupation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues