Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 03:41 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times

Advertisements

There are some people that never leave the states during their tour of duty & some that never leave their post while stationed overseas. I just regret not visiting more german cities including berlin. Amsterdam would of been nice to visit. I did visit London (500 miles from Hanau, Germany) & paris (400 miles from Hanau). I also was in Innsbruck, Austria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 11:56 AM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
I’ll be getting out in 30 months putting me at 10.5 years of service, there won’t be any regrets. I have my education, money saved up, and a plan for what I want to do.

The military isn’t for everyone.

My regret is that I was never able to deploy. The military never chose me to go even after I volunteered.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Some days there is a bit of regret, but most of the time there is not. I spent 12 years in the Navy, but overall, I am glad I got out.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:13 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Some days there is a bit of regret, but most of the time there is not. I spent 12 years in the Navy, but overall, I am glad I got out.
You only had 8 yrs to go. Why did you decide to ETS ?

Old 05-19-2018, 04:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
OP, if you're able you could go National Guard and continue towards retirement. It's a bit less transient and you may have a full time opportunity.

I regretted getting out at first. (9yrs active USMC) Then I went in the Air Guard and became a civilian technician. I was working towards my military and federal retirement at the same time. I kind of lucked into it and now, approaching 60 in a few years, I'm very VERY glad it worked out the way it did.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:57 AM

586 posts, read 830,729 times
I'm sooooooo glad I'm out

After 20 yr's it was all getting a little hard to be honest.
Now I chaperone the rich around Southern France and eat, drink and sleep in the same hotels as them.

You can keep sleeping in a hole that I've just dug in Mali thank you very much.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:12 PM

2,774 posts, read 902,020 times
I went into the Army right out of high school in 1972. I volunteered for the draft and ended up reenlisting for 4 more years. I spent 4 months at Ft. Hood (didn't like at all). I did two tours in Korea between 73 and 76 and really liked my time there. Then I was assigned to Ft. Polk with 2 1/2 years left on my enlistment. I was initially assigned to an armor unit, but after nine months I found a better job in personnel management at division AG and transferred there.

The Army had just started the Reclass/Retrain program in 75/76, taking NCOs (E5 - E7) out of support MOSs and sending them to infantry, armor and FA units to be trained as combat arms NCOs. You could volunteer, the incentive being rank came faster because they were short NCO's in combat arms MOSs. I met several NCO's who were in the reclass/retrain program and none of them volunteered. For them it was finish your career in a combat arms branch or get out. So that was hanging over my head. In addition, I was a SP5, and never had to supervise anyone. If I wanted to move up to E6 and beyond, I'd have to go to NCO academy, something I didn't want to do. I already did basic and didn't want to do it over again.

I enjoyed most of my army time. It was the silly, counter productive stuff that sealed my decision to leave. Just one example. My last day in the army, I was at the Ft. Polk out processing section and all I needed was my DD214. The NCOIC, an E8 with a chip on his shoulder told me and another SP5 we had to get a haircut before we could be discharged. It was less than an hour before COB on a Friday. The other SP5 told the E8 that if we went to get a haircut and didn't get back before closing time, he'd have to explain to his boss why he kept two SP5s in the army for 3 extra days because our hair wasn't STRAC enough for him. Five minutes later we had our DD214 in hand. Things like that, along with the fact that I don't think I would have made a good NCO as I had no desire to be a leader was why I got out.

Going into the army right out of high school shaped my adult personality and solidified my work ethic which helped me have a successful civilian career. And I have many fond memories of places I saw, experiences I had (good and bad) and people I met there. I still stay in touch with two of my buddies I met on my first tour in Korea. So no regrets getting out.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:43 PM

2,774 posts, read 902,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
That would be a stinker. I could of ended up anywhere like fort polk or south korea. Those 2 I would of hated. Thanks for the info.
I did two tours in Korea and loved it. Did my last 2 1/2 years at Polk, and can only say it wasn't as bad as my short time at Ft. Hood, only because I lived off post at Polk. Don't know what Polk is like now, but it was not a preferred assignment in the late 70's.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:19 PM

6,592 posts, read 7,084,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
I did two tours in Korea and loved it. Did my last 2 1/2 years at Polk, and can only say it wasn't as bad as my short time at Ft. Hood, only because I lived off post at Polk. Don't know what Polk is like now, but it was not a preferred assignment in the late 70's.

I did two tours in Korea as well I arrived there in Sep 76 and left 77. Then I returned there in Feb of 80 and left Apr of 82. I totally enjoyed my time there and you could say I found my heart there. Married a beautiful young lady there and still with her today 40 years later. Heading back to the country again this summer.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:08 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,571,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I did two tours in Korea as well I arrived there in Sep 76 and left 77. Then I returned there in Feb of 80 and left Apr of 82. I totally enjoyed my time there and you could say I found my heart there. Married a beautiful young lady there and still with her today 40 years later. Heading back to the country again this summer.
I enlisted in the Air Force just as the Vietnam War was winding down. I did 8 years in the AF and then took advantage of the GI Bill and went to college where I received an MBA. I loved my job as as Air Traffic Controller in the Air Force but it was time to move on.

My mom always thanks current GIs for their service. However, she never thanked me and refuses to thank me for my 8 years of military service. My mom says I went in the Air Force for the wrong reasons. I went in the Air Force to get a college degree. I didn't go in the Air Force to fight for America.

For me, the Air Force was a great place to get my head screwed on right at no cost to my parents. I do not regret taking advantage of the GI Bill and retiring from the corporate world.

My dad passed years ago and my mom and I hardly talk anymore. Her comments about my career-minded Air Force 8-year tour-of-duty really **** me off. I could have easily borrowed money from my parents to go to school and never paid them back. My sisters did that. But to say that I copped out by going in the Air Force and using taxpayer dollars to pay my college tuition are very disgusting.

I miss the Air Force but have no regrets to getting out when my time was up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues