Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 06:56 PM

4,961 posts, read 2,709,998 times

Advertisements

I know that the military has an "up or out" policy for commissioned officers. Something like if you spend too much time in grade as an O-3 you are discharged if you can't get promoted. But do the enlisted grades also have that policy if you can't make it past, say E-6, or E-7?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 09:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
There is high year tenure for enlisted.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:55 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Yep. Many years ago I was PO1 (E-6) with over 20 years of service, active and reserve. I was told if I didn't make E-7 I would be transferred to the IRR (Individual ready reserve). I took the E-7 test, passed it with a good test score and a very high multiple, but was not advanced. I was later told that they only advanced ONE person in my rate to CPO in that cycle.

I retired rather than accept the IRR.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:30 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I know that the military has an "up or out" policy for commissioned officers. Something like if you spend too much time in grade as an O-3 you are discharged if you can't get promoted. But do the enlisted grades also have that policy if you can't make it past, say E-6, or E-7?
Yes but only after you reach the threshold of 20 years. Every two years after reaching 20 you go through a "qualitative retention board" (QRB). This is where you submit a packet that shows what you have done lately. It isn't so much about getting that next grade but not getting promoted to the next pay grade can be a sign you are not long for service.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:00 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Yep. Many years ago I was PO1 (E-6) with over 20 years of service, active and reserve. I was told if I didn't make E-7 I would be transferred to the IRR (Individual ready reserve). I took the E-7 test, passed it with a good test score and a very high multiple, but was not advanced. I was later told that they only advanced ONE person in my rate to CPO in that cycle.

As an E6 I passed the advancement test and I made it to the 'selection board' like eight times. Every year starting in my twelfth year all the way to my 20th year.

In that era, they were selecting very few us.

I was forced out at 20 years [HYT].

Old 05-27-2018, 12:27 PM

363 posts, read 349,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
.....over 20 years of service, active and reserve. .......

did you get an active duty retirement, or a reserve retirement (delayed retirement pay)?

Old 05-27-2018, 12:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Something like if you spend too much time in grade as an O-3 you are discharged if you can't get promoted. But do the enlisted grades also have that policy if you can't make it past, say E-6, or E-7?
It depends on what branch you are talking about, Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps or Navy? Being Reserve or Active Duty can make a difference.

I am retired Army.

I know/knew a lot of active duty Army personnel, who where on various promotion lists, including me, just waiting...

It depends on your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty).

It depends on your EER's (Enlisted Evaluation Report).

It depends on your where you are on the promotion list. Being number 99 is worthless if they promote numbers 100 and above in the MOS.

I saw several people, at least three who just got out at 16 years, others who retired at E-6, many at E-7.

It is no a simple answer.

If you are that interested, you might look at cutoffscores.com: Army Cut Off Scores and Enlisted Promotions where you will find the latest Army Enlisted Promotions information and answers to frequently asked questions about the new Army Promotion Point System.

There are also other sites...

Old 05-27-2018, 01:26 PM

24,619 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
As already stated, it’s called high year tenure. Another thing that could trigger high year tenure is a demotion. But high year tenure comes with separation pay, hardly a punishment. More like like a reward

Old 05-27-2018, 02:30 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
As already stated, it’s called high year tenure. Another thing that could trigger high year tenure is a demotion. But high year tenure comes with separation pay, hardly a punishment. More like like a reward
Oh yeah, losing your job when you're in your 40s is a GREAT reward!

Old 05-27-2018, 05:27 PM

24,619 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Oh yeah, losing your job when you're in your 40s is a GREAT reward!
Most military people in their 40's are eligible for retirement and won't need separation pay.

No one can stay in the military forever. Whether you're an E1 or O10 you will get out one day and “lose your job.”

The 9 year E5 who decides to get out after his enlistment, gets no separation pay. The 9 year E5 who gets an article 15 and loses rank, will hit high year tenure, get an honorable discharge, and separation pay. That’s called a reward.

Last edited by Rocko20; 05-27-2018 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues