Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 11:21 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The highlighted sentence leads me to suggest you would be better off leaving the service.

It would help if you detailed what your MOS is, why you think it's not marketable, and what your degree is in.

At the end of the day, life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like, IMHO.
Yes, it would. But even more helpful would be what you want to be doing whether or not it has anything to do with your current MOS or your degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 06:47 AM

118 posts, read 141,382 times
I got out in 2016 and been using the GI Bill. As previously mentioned take advantage of the transition services, they are very helpful and submit any VA claims before separation. I enlisted at 25 so I had a civilian life before the military . The people who say it's hard are the people with no drive or ambition and think the military is the only option for stability. It is YOUR choice so weigh thr pros and cons.Have a plan and you will be just fine. Military was fun but I knew I couldn't do 20 so I had to switch routes. GI bill is a good way to better yourself while learning a new skill/trade. Most states also offer unemployment to recent separated vets if you want to search for a job instead. Good luck to you.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:13 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Do you have a job lined up or some other plan?

If so, get out.

I did 4 active and 2 reserves. When I ETS'd from active service, I was about 75% positive that I was going to be hired by my current job, a very large city PD. I had already tested and received my tentative processing notification, so it was just a matter of finishing up the background and such.

I ended up leaving the reserves early as it wasn't for me and it got in the way of my civilian career. With 4 deployments under my belt while active, I felt I had done everything I could for the country and that it was time for me to build a career for the rest of my life.

In the end I only "lost" one year of my service as my current job allows us to buy up to 3 years of military service into our pension. You should consider that as well if looking at government jobs.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Depending on what your civilian career expectations are you may be let down. Also possible that you excel and do great at it. I don't know you or your personality or what you are looking for.

Good luck.
^^This^^
You mentioned Grad School. Have you applied, and do have you looked at the reality of what that Masters degree means in the working world?

Old 06-12-2018, 01:36 PM

779 posts, read 505,860 times
Lots of good advice here. I was drafted in 1968 and managed to avoid humping an M-16 in the jungle by having good test scores and taking advantage of army tech training. I only cost me one more year in the army, but I was serving in a paradise of a place for a single guy and loved it. I've often said, if I had it to do over, I'd stay in the army for 20, then get a job with the federal government for another 20, and retire at 58. But who really knows how it would turn out? Make a plan, work the plan. That's about all you can do, really, cause life will throw you curves. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:02 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosebumps View Post
I'm an E-5 in the Air Force, and I'm a little beyond 4 year initial enlistment. ... but I'm eligible to crosstrain/reclass.
You know the lifestyle.

You know the pay and benefits.

What AFSC would you like? Pick one, any one.

Are any of them related to your bachelor's degree?

Quote:
... I try to put into perspective how good we have it sometimes. Free medical, relatively competitive pay, great benefits, tons of paid time off.
There some good pay and benefits.

Quote:
... I estimate that I would have to gross roughly 85k all in to match what I would make in a couple of years when I'm out of grad school (my plan if I do decide to separate).
You could do that while you were on Active Duty.

I served for 20-years and I retired. F' em.

I got my B.S. and M.S. degrees. I invested a lot and retired with enough that we were able to buy a farm when I retired.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:59 AM

3 posts, read 2,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Do take advantage of "transition" services that I think are generally offered, leave on as good a terms as you can, talk with your direct boss as the time gets close so you can train up a replacement, or replacements, for your job.

Not a great idea to just finish up, and separate, without a plan to get a civilian job.

Sometimes writing out your position does make it more easy to see. Odd as that is.
Thanks for your input. I definitely plan on utilizing every resource I can and not burning any bridges.

I want to go back to school for my master's degree to A) make me more marketable, B) ease the transition back to civilian life, and C) ease the transition into another career. I don't think I would get out and immediately enter the workforce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Have you considered changing your afsc?
Perhaps you would "fit in" better in a different community.

Maybe try an office job, maybe try ops or aircrew, maybe try maintenance etc.. Try to find something your interested in.

If not give the guard a try. It gives you many of the benefits of being in the military but for 90% of the month you get probably 90% of a civilian lifestyle (there are obviously things you can't due) but even when on duty in the guard it's much more laid back than active.

At the end of the day if you decide none of it is for you, you can still be proud of Your contribution and know that you did more than most have. You can take that with you the rest of the life. You did your part.

In the flip side... The civilian world may be disappointing for you. You may find that your co workers will stab you in the back or throw you under the bus for their gain, that your managers spend their entire career just trying to not get blamed themselves not necessarily doing what's right.. Etc..

Depending on what your civilian career expectations are you may be let down. Also possible that you excel and do great at it. I don't know you or your personality or what you are looking for.

Good luck.
Yes, if I did decide to stay in I would basically have to crosstrain into a different job. If you told me I was going to spend another 6 months in my current career, I would be looking for ways to punch out yesterday. It's not a good fit for me at all.

I don't really have any disillusions about the civilian world. I know there are bad leaders, bosses, and managers everywhere. I mostly just seek the intangible pieces of my life back like my identity and my freedom. Thank you for your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You might consider going the reserves route shorter term as a potential way to transition partially back to civilian life while maintaining some aspects of military culture and benefits of service. It may ease the full transition in the long run. Our experience with reserves is that military lifestyle can be a very minimal part of the package; it certainly is minimal compared to the 24-7 immersion of the active duty lifestyle.
Thanks for your input. My concerns with going guard/reserve are similar to that of active duty. The chance to be called to deploy at a bad time in my life, and still giving weekends to the government. The low healthcare is definitely an incentive, but as a young/single/healthy person, it's admittedly not at the forefront of my concerns upon separation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piffler View Post
I got out in 2016 and been using the GI Bill. As previously mentioned take advantage of the transition services, they are very helpful and submit any VA claims before separation. I enlisted at 25 so I had a civilian life before the military . The people who say it's hard are the people with no drive or ambition and think the military is the only option for stability. It is YOUR choice so weigh thr pros and cons.Have a plan and you will be just fine. Military was fun but I knew I couldn't do 20 so I had to switch routes. GI bill is a good way to better yourself while learning a new skill/trade. Most states also offer unemployment to recent separated vets if you want to search for a job instead. Good luck to you.
Thank you for your service and for your input. I definitely plan on utilizing the G.I. Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Do you have a job lined up or some other plan?

If so, get out.

I did 4 active and 2 reserves. When I ETS'd from active service, I was about 75% positive that I was going to be hired by my current job, a very large city PD. I had already tested and received my tentative processing notification, so it was just a matter of finishing up the background and such.

I ended up leaving the reserves early as it wasn't for me and it got in the way of my civilian career. With 4 deployments under my belt while active, I felt I had done everything I could for the country and that it was time for me to build a career for the rest of my life.

In the end I only "lost" one year of my service as my current job allows us to buy up to 3 years of military service into our pension. You should consider that as well if looking at government jobs.
I do plan on going back to grad school. Thank you for your service, and thank you for your input. I don't think that government jobs are in the cards for me either. I feel it would remind me too much of the bureaucracy I've been privy to in the Air Force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
^^This^^
You mentioned Grad School. Have you applied, and do have you looked at the reality of what that Masters degree means in the working world?
Unfortunately, the application window isn't quite open yet for when I would matriculate. I have decent test scores, what I consider to be a good resume, and the G.I. Bill (schools know they will get paid), so I am confident I can at least land an acceptance at one of my top picks.

I hope to ultimately land an operations management position. As I mentioned before, I don't really have any disillusions about the civilian world. I've worked in it (albeit at a low level) before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Lots of good advice here. I was drafted in 1968 and managed to avoid humping an M-16 in the jungle by having good test scores and taking advantage of army tech training. I only cost me one more year in the army, but I was serving in a paradise of a place for a single guy and loved it. I've often said, if I had it to do over, I'd stay in the army for 20, then get a job with the federal government for another 20, and retire at 58. But who really knows how it would turn out? Make a plan, work the plan. That's about all you can do, really, cause life will throw you curves. Best of luck to you.
Thank you for your service and your input. One decision can always alter our lives for good.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
While the military offers you many perks like medical, you can find that elsewhere too.
Come to NY, apply for the next fdny, or nypd test. Get your military bonus points, go up the rank, Do your 22 1/2 years, and call it a day with one of the better US pensions.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:39 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
While the military offers you many perks like medical, you can find that elsewhere too.
Come to NY, apply for the next fdny, or nypd test. Get your military bonus points, go up the rank, Do your 22 1/2 years, and call it a day with one of the better US pensions.
Better than a military pension?

Old 06-14-2018, 02:02 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
I would say so Sub. Dollar to dollar, if you are looking to get a pension I believe the NYC pension of these two departments are superior to most. At 22 1/2 years you can retire at 50% averaged from your three best consecutive years. Now factor in, the only deduction to your pension check is federal tax.(depending on what state you move to) No more union dues, no more medical deductions, no more SS, no more pension deductions. You basically leave with your current take home pay.
Additionally you receive every December a "variable supplement" check to the tune of $12,000. Every year, for life.
Every year you stay past 22, your pension increases by 1.5%. I'm not going to throw salary numbers around aside from anyone at top pay in either dept. is making well over $100,000. And that is for your basic firefighter, or patrolman. Go up the ranks? Fuggetaboutit! $$$

Last edited by grouse789; 06-14-2018 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues