Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 PM

115 posts, read 163,729 times

Advertisements

So a little back ground my whole family is or was sone sort of military and it's never been for me. Out of high school I went to a trade school and got certified in it and pretty much to make a long story short I'm 30 now and one day I woke up and I just had this feeling come over next that I should join.

Tried to wait a bit to see if i could shake it but no it just got stronger and stronger. So I went to see a recruiter, now here's my problem I took the practice test and scored a 44 the reading comprehension and word meaning section were good and I boned completely the arithmetic reasoning and the math.

I haven't done any math since I was a junior in high school 13 years ago. Math has always been my weakness my brain and math just never clicked even to this day I still use fingers to add up certain things lol. What can I use to help me get ready? I don't want to end up being a cook or something and don't get me wrong they're needed but it's just not for me.

One other thing my recruiter is trying to schedule me to take the asvab on Thursday even tho I keep texting him no I want a month to study and get it together. He's wants me to do it this Thursday and if I don't like my score to take it again which I see as nothing more than a waste of time because I know where I am with are and math.

Last edited by c.diddy; 07-09-2018 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 04:39 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,146,495 times
Are you looking at enlistment or going in to OCS? Do you have any idea what kinds of jobs you are interested in? Besides "not a cook"? Your post makes me think you are looking for enlisted, but not certain. What are your other options?

You married, single, or what?

That feeling that came over you that "you should just join" may not be serving you very well.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Are you looking at enlistment or going in to OCS? Do you have any idea what kinds of jobs you are interested in? Besides "not a cook"? Your post makes me think you are looking for enlisted, but not certain. What are your other options?

You married, single, or what?

That feeling that came over you that "you should just join" may not be serving you very well.

I'm in it in civilian life so I'd like to continue that in the service. Enlistment I'm not single but it's not an issue, no kids, also the feeling imo seems to only get stronger everyday I want to do it. Like I said my family is currently or gave served and they've been pushing me since 18 and I had no interest until now. I know it's what I want to do. Jobs I want

It
Ctr
(Some form of aviation)
Ma
La

Old 07-10-2018, 09:13 AM

9,826 posts, read 11,575,114 times
I don't think it's anything wrong with taking the ASVAB or for that matter any test twice.
Take the test, then study in between before you take the test again.
What Branch?

Old 07-10-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I don't think it's anything wrong with taking the ASVAB or for that matter any test twice.
Take the test, then study in between before you take the test again.
What Branch?
Joining the Navy.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:09 AM

30 posts, read 48,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.diddy View Post
Joining the Navy.
I guess the first question would be, does your current score qualify you for the jobs you’re looking at. If so, then there’s no need to hold off on the test. However if the jobs require a higher score, then maybe study and hold off. You can take it multiple times and I believe they take the highest score. So no harm no foul on the first test.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,647,244 times
Quote:
I'm in it in civilian life so I'd like to continue that in the service. Enlistment I'm not single but it's not an issue, no kids, also the feeling imo seems to only get stronger everyday I want to do it. Like I said my family is currently or gave served and they've been pushing me since 18 and I had no interest until now. I know it's what I want to do. Jobs I want

It
Ctr
(Some form of aviation)
Ma
La
Those ratings are represent a diverse range. IT and CTR both require a certain degree of technical proficiency, and don't have much in common with, say, the MA rating. LA, AFAIK, doesn't exist. Do you mean LN or LS?

Old 07-11-2018, 12:24 AM

44,654 posts, read 61,707,500 times
Quote:
One other thing my recruiter is trying to schedule me to take the asvab on Thursday even tho I keep texting him no I want a month to study and get it together. He's wants me to do it this Thursday and if I don't like my score to take it again which I see as nothing more than a waste of time because I know where I am with are and math.
Sounds like the recruiter is trying to fill his quota asap.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Those ratings are represent a diverse range. IT and CTR both require a certain degree of technical proficiency, and don't have much in common with, say, the MA rating. LA, AFAIK, doesn't exist. Do you mean LN or LS?
Sorry meant ls. Typing on my phone. Yeah very diverse but hopefully I can get it as that's what I'm currently doing in civilian life.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:04 PM

910 posts, read 1,085,449 times
You can't really study for the ASVAB. The reading comprehension is just that, you read a story and explain what it said. I suck at math, and I scored a 79. It isn't advanced math, you just have a bunch of problems and it is timed. The mechanical comprehension can be studied for.

You should ask the recruiter what ratings are critically understaffed. If you like any of those, you won't have a problem getting the job you want. They can also let you know what score you need. In some jobs, the overall ASVAB isn't important, there are certain sections that count more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues