Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:27 PM

703 posts, read 608,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Unless that last year is just one crap assignment after another, I would think it's a good deal to be able to get the pension. As I understand it, anything short of 20 years, you don't get any pension at all, but with 20, you get half of base pay, COLA adjusted, even.

Is that correct?
That is correct but add on TriCare for lifetime medical insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 09:28 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,041,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The rank structure is going to resemble a pyramid. There isn't enough room in the military for every single person who wants to stay to move up. The military promotes the best and the brightest in order to have the best NCO cadre possible. It's in the military's best interest and the country's. Some people simply aren't going to make the cut. Life's not fair and neither is military service.
That is somewhat true. The Air Force has something like 40% officers compared to something like 13% in the Army or Marine Corps. If a guy flies a jet he's an officer. To my knowledge only the AF did away with having Warrant Officers, but in the Army when when we went on airborne operations it was always warrant officers flying the C-130's, C-7s, or the choppers (in USASOC we jumped out of choppers and C-7's a good bit). Honestly I wish that all MOS' in all branches had more warrants. It's a good in-between thing where one's expertise matters.

Changing topics here: There are probably far more newbie lieutenants in any of the services than there are senior enlisted guys. But just because the officers always technically outrank the enlisted guys doesn't mean that a 22 year old lieutenant fresh out of college can just go bossing around a 45 year old Sergeant Major with 25+ years of service. It just does not work that way in real life.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:12 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,538,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
To my knowledge only the AF did away with having Warrant Officers
That is still correct. A informative document:

Demographic Profile of the Active Duty Warrant Officer Corps
September 2008 Snapshot

https://diversity.defense.gov/Portal...mographics.pdf

Old 07-20-2018, 12:18 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,516,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
To my knowledge only the AF did away with having Warrant Officers, but in the Army when when we went on airborne operations it was always warrant officers flying the C-130's, C-7s, or the choppers (in USASOC we jumped out of choppers and C-7's a good bit). Honestly I wish that all MOS' in all branches had more warrants. It's a good in-between thing where one's expertise matters.
I can assure you there are no warrant officers flying a C-130 in any branch of the US military.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:24 AM

24,281 posts, read 9,163,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Which has always been the reason why a military retirement plan that paid immediately upon service exit (rather than being withheld until age 65) is both practical and moral.

Otherwise, given that it's for service needs that retention becomes very stiff after 20 years (war is a young man's game after all), a man would be a fool to volunteer to serve 20 years to be shown the door at the peak of his personal family obligations without an income to supplement what a civilian who had been working those 20 years should have accumulated.

Military retirement pay is really something like alimony for a wife who has been divorced by a husband seeking a younger woman.
Agreed. Interesting enough, during government shutdowns, said military pensions won't pay out. I was shocked when I heard about it, luckily government shutdowns aren't usually long.

What matters most is that enlisted folks (or recruits) understand what they're getting into and can calculate/anticipate what their retirement pay will be. Some people, military and non-military, think you can just do 20 and star living large, that's not the way it works for folks with families.

It's going to be interesting to see if the military ends up providing more incentives for people to stay.

Last edited by Rocko20; 07-20-2018 at 01:35 AM..

Old 07-20-2018, 08:40 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,538,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It's going to be interesting to see if the military ends up providing more incentives for people to stay.
More, to stay? Really?

Army announces new changes to retention bonuses, kickers

By Sean Kimmons, Army News Service, May 15, 2018:

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Officials released new guidance Tuesday on the Army's Selective Retention Bonus Program, which includes first-ever bonuses up to $52,000 for those who reenlist for critical Security Forces Assistance Brigade positions.
https://www.army.mil/article/205376/...onuses_kickers

Old 08-07-2018, 03:05 PM

541 posts, read 2,133,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Pretty vague statement... That can be said about the human race... Don't advance, you are gone...

For the Army, here is an artcle from Rode Powers: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/en...simple-3331909
The Army DOES have TIG requirements for SNCOs. Two years for Secondary Zone, 3 for Primary Zone. They have also recently made a change to how sequence numbers are determined :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues