Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times

Advertisements

Ever come across someone who tried to get a Purple Heart for an injury not traditionally related to combat? During Desert Storm a guy was running to his GQ station and hit his head on the door knife edge. He wanted to try to get a Purple Heart for the “injury” because technically it happened in combat. He got a butt chewing from the department chiefs instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 12:39 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
No, but I do know more than a few people were purposely shuttled to combat zones so they could be within some distance of a mortar, gun fire, or something, just so they can get some combat badge(Army?) or medal or something, that is basically auto given in such situations because technically they meet the requirement, but I never thought it did spiritually, and I know they did not either, hence why they were shuttled out after. Became like a damn tourist attraction for these people.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,085,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Ever come across someone who tried to get a Purple Heart for an injury not traditionally related to combat? During Desert Storm a guy was running to his GQ station and hit his head on the door knife edge. He wanted to try to get a Purple Heart for the “injury” because technically it happened in combat. He got a butt chewing from the department chiefs instead.
Yes. I think it happens more often than we'd like to acknowledge.

Or there are guys who were legitimately injured but not severe enough to warrant a PH. Some do it because they want the license plates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, but I do know more than a few people were purposely shuttled to combat zones so they could be within some distance of a mortar, gun fire, or something, just so they can get some combat badge(Army?) or medal or something, that is basically auto given in such situations because technically they meet the requirement, but I never thought it did spiritually, and I know they did not either, hence why they were shuttled out after. Became like a damn tourist attraction for these people.
It's called a CAB or Combat Action Badge. It's awarded to those who are not Infantry in the Army.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Action_Badge

Infantry Soldiers are awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge. The requirements are different from the Soldiers who receive a CAB or CMB. I think the biggest difference is with the CIB, an Infantryman has to engage the enemy while a CAB is for Soldiers who are engaged by the enemy by direct or indirect fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Infantryman_Badge

Medics receive the CMB or Combat Medical Badge:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Medical_Badge

Old 08-05-2018, 08:35 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times
had a doorgunner who banged his head on his M-60 gun mount when the pilot made a sharp bank...…..got a purple heart for it I guess it took a few stitches...…. so your call...…….

Old 08-05-2018, 09:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Yes. I think it happens more often than we'd like to acknowledge.

Or there are guys who were legitimately injured but not severe enough to warrant a PH. Some do it because they want the license plates...

It's called a CAB or Combat Action Badge. It's awarded to those who are not Infantry in the Army.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Action_Badge

Infantry Soldiers are awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge. The requirements are different from the Soldiers who receive a CAB or CMB. I think the biggest difference is with the CIB, an Infantryman has to engage the enemy while a CAB is for Soldiers who are engaged by the enemy by direct or indirect fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Infantryman_Badge

Medics receive the CMB or Combat Medical Badge:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Medical_Badge
It was something like that. I just remember the Army folks talking smack about those getting shuttled in there just to get the badge, but not recall if they talking about the CAB or CIB, probably the CAB from your description, but they would get if the base, anywhere, came under fire or if a mortar or something landed within some declared distance. Then after that, they get shuttled off back to Kuwait, Bahrain or something, lol. I guess it was some thing a lot of people wanted to make sure they got for their career or something.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:50 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,919 times
Weren’t there a couple of politicians who got called out for bogus Purple Hearts? Thought I read that a few years ago.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:23 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Weren’t there a couple of politicians who got called out for bogus Purple Hearts? Thought I read that a few years ago.
Thus the term Swift Boating entered the political dictionary. The charge was given the rules during the Vietnam era one could go home early if they survived so many hits. I am sure it has happened before since records during war time make for political fodder. The first I remember reading about was a young congressman LBJ making a Pacific tour during WWII to get his shared the danger credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues