Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 03:21 PM

233 posts, read 243,234 times

Advertisements

So I've been in the Army a total of 10 yrs (6 active/4 reservist) so far. I have to admit I kind of miss the active life but my wife has been a school teacher for our local county with a total of +5 yrs now. We also have 2 small children as well. My Civilian job is State Correctional Officer I make slightly more than +5k a yr that not including my wife income (Living in the South). So should I stay on the reserves side or should I convince my wife to let me go back active and possibly PCS to a duty station?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 04:59 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,014,359 times
So you make around 5k a year ? I doubt it if that is correct ....right ? A correctional officer in ca makes bank & also gets 8 weeks paid vacation.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:11 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
I did six active duty and almost 26 in the Guard. No way would I have wanted to go back on active duty. The primary reason for me leaving active duty was so I wouldn't have to raise a family while moving around every three years. I also worked Corrections and now I have two retirements and two retiree health plans to draw on. And I got to live in my home state and be around family and friends. Looking back, I have absolutely no regrets about how my careers worked out for me and my family. The grass definitely is greener on your side of the fence.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:41 PM

Correction 5k a month

Old 08-07-2018, 05:56 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,055,164 times
Stay reserve component. You have a job, your wife has a job, and those that waffle back and forth randomly between components and services tend to remain terminally behind their peers.

Edit to add question: Would an active duty retirement be more advantageous to your civilian retirement? How would PCSing randomly affect your wife's retirement?

Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 PM

If I make Captain as a Correctional Officer I can retire at 50 with about 26k a year. My wife wants to be a principal that's about 30k a year of retirement. I just put in my Warrant officer packet in if I retire as a Chief Warrant there is no telling what retirement will look like. My wife is close friends with the FRG ladies of my current unit and we live just 10 minutes from the Active Duty post that my reserve unit resides. I just miss it my father is telling to stay reserves as well. He is retired active duty.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:19 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,055,164 times
FWIW, I'm at 26 years and still counting active duty. No way in hell would I ever go reserves, but at this point in your life, you're likely better staying as is.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:52 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.910nc View Post
So I've been in the Army a total of 10 yrs (6 active/4 reservist) so far. I have to admit I kind of miss the active life but my wife has been a school teacher for our local county

We also have 2 small children as well.

So should I stay on the reserves side or should I convince my wife to let me go back active and possibly PCS to a duty station?
Quote:
Correction 5k a month
Quote:
If I make Captain as a Correctional Officer I can retire at 50 with about 26k a year. My wife wants to be a principal that's about 30k a year of retirement. I just put in my Warrant officer packet in if I retire as a Chief Warrant there is no telling what retirement will look like. My wife is close friends with the FRG ladies of my current unit and we live just 10 minutes from the Active Duty post that my reserve unit resides. I just miss it my father is telling to stay reserves as well. He is retired active duty.
So you have 14 years to go for retirement.

School teachers seem to be able to find decent jobs almost anywhere, at least that's what some school teachers have told me over the years.

CWO's now go to W-5. A W-1 over 6yrs base pay is $3,858.

You could go to military retirement, and continue a second career.

Other than Correctional Officer retirement, what other benefits?

Hard decision...

I was drafted, stayed 26 years, no regrets. But I would have made some changes. Stay overseas if you had a good assignment. You are locked in and know how long you will be there. Both our children, have fond memories of living overseas (Germany). My wife was a volunteer teachers aid, she loved it. With a degree she says she could have had a paying teachers job. We did extend 6 months. Trying to stay in the US was a waste. Would have worked harder on getting degrees earlier.

Hope that helps...

Old 08-08-2018, 04:37 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Go Active get that pension as soon as possible. Then you can follow that in any manner you wish.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:41 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Go Active get that pension as soon as possible. Then you can follow that in any manner you wish.
Agree. In the long term, you and your wife will be better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues