Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 09:15 PM

18 posts, read 13,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I also had a ‘colorful past’ and got commissioned (with waiver). Army and a different time, but, you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. If you want it, try for it now. It’s a little harder to make happen once you’re already in.
I greatly appreciate the encouragement. Truthfully I will have to dig more into the OCS program before I make my final decision. Last thing I want to do is put all my eggs in one basket if I truly have a chance of being accepted into OCS, despite my lackluster GPA and criminal history. If I'm able to obtain a waiver with my (need I borrow your term), "colorful past" I am more than willing to take the steps necessary to get the ball rollin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgryfon View Post
Look up the legal definition for an expunged record, and you will feel better about your answers. They specifically tell you that you can now answer, honestly, that you have never been convicted because the expungment deletes the conviction as if it never happened. So you could truthfully say, yes you were arrested, and no, you were not convicted. But look it up yourself, since I am not an attorney and can't give legal advice.
Right; I think they refer to it as an adjudication. I spoke to the only person with physical copies of my expungement paperwork yesterday - she eluded that through the expungement process, I legally don't have to disclose I was convicted of anything. "As if it never happened".

Old 08-22-2018, 04:50 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB7guy View Post
Right; I think they refer to it as an adjudication. I spoke to the only person with physical copies of my expungement paperwork yesterday - she eluded that through the expungement process, I legally don't have to disclose I was convicted of anything. "As if it never happened".
Unfortunately, you appear to be hoping we come back and give you support. You have no basis in the SF 86 *not* to disclose-expungement or not. You were arrested. It happened. The question on the SF 86 is
‘In the past seven (7) years have you been arrested by ...’. There’s not a sentence on there telling you not to disclose if it was expunged. The form is freely available online. Give it a read.

If you choose to not disclose ‘because it was expunged’ and they find it-one easy way is when they interview people who know you, someone mentions it-you can pretty well kiss your chances of a clearance goodbye for several years while you overcome your demonstrated deceit. The thinking is if you’ll hide this, what will you hide when something serious happens actually involving national security?

Make your life easier. It’s better to disclose and explain, than conceal and get caught in what, in a literal reading of the SF 86, is a lie.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:03 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, you appear to be hoping we come back and give you support. You have no basis in the SF 86 *not* to disclose-expungement or not. You were arrested. It happened. The question on the SF 86 is
‘In the past seven (7) years have you been arrested by ...’. There’s not a sentence on there telling you not to disclose if it was expunged. The form is freely available online. Give it a read.

If you choose to not disclose ‘because it was expunged’ and they find it-one easy way is when they interview people who know you, someone mentions it-you can pretty well kiss your chances of a clearance goodbye for several years while you overcome your demonstrated deceit. The thinking is if you’ll hide this, what will you hide when something serious happens actually involving national security?

Make your life easier. It’s better to disclose and explain, than conceal and get caught in what, in a literal reading of the SF 86, is a lie.
Or just wait 3 more years and honestly answer no.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:17 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
I had a similar situation, minus the arrest. I had an expunged misdemeanor. My lawyer told me it was off my record and that I was never convicted, so when I enlisted I didn't list it.

After getting accepted into a program at the MEPs center in Indianapolis I was pulled away by a naval officer who asked me questions about my record. The government can pull up an expunged record, I told him the whole truth and why I did not list it on my enlistment papers. Being a scared young kid I feel probably helped my case, I was only 20 years old. Begrudgingly the officer stated he was going to issue me a waiver. My job in the Navy required a secret security clearance, I went through a similar process 10 months later when it came to receiving my clearance. I feel I was fortunate, probably even lucky.

Advice here, admit the truth, anything you hide will be found out and likely create more problems later.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:

The SF 86 form is not what I was in the process of filling out. The closest thing I'd describe what I filled out was a preliminary screening; about two pages in length.

I went in the office knowing what I wanted to tell the recruiter (the truth, what factually occurred.) I knew by the time I left the office that something was deeply wrong with what I was told, but I didn't know exactly what parts weren't true (hence why I'm on this forum.) That and the stark contrast of what the Air Force recruiter informed me in regards to obtaining a waiver has had my mind racing.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I had a similar situation, minus the arrest. I had an expunged misdemeanor. My lawyer told me it was off my record and that I was never convicted, so when I enlisted I didn't list it.

After getting accepted into a program at the MEPs center in Indianapolis I was pulled away by a naval officer who asked me questions about my record. The government can pull up an expunged record, I told him the whole truth and why I did not list it on my enlistment papers. Being a scared young kid I feel probably helped my case, I was only 20 years old. Begrudgingly the officer stated he was going to issue me a waiver. My job in the Navy required a secret security clearance, I went through a similar process 10 months later when it came to receiving my clearance. I feel I was fortunate, probably even lucky.

Advice here, admit the truth, anything you hide will be found out and likely create more problems later.
The last thing I want to do is be pulled aside at MEPS, or worse, booted all together. Thank you for the advice.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:58 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB7guy View Post
The last thing I want to do is be pulled aside at MEPS, or worse, booted all together. Thank you for the advice.
Absolutely, it sounds like you're doing the right thing and questioning the recruiter. Don't trust them one bit, they're worse than used car salesmen. I hope the recruitment process goes smoothly for you. Getting accepted by the Navy was the first step in turning my life around. I wouldn't be where I am today were it not for the Navy, and that one officer who went out on a limb and granted me a waiver.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:31 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
With a Bachelor's are you talking to officer recruiters?
I have served alongside many enlisted men who held BSs, a few with MAs or MSs.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:34 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have served alongside many enlisted men who held BSs, a few with MAs or MSs.

Yes. But if he's going in he might as well maximize his options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues