Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 01:01 PM

952 posts, read 2,633,987 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend holds a clearance (he's ex Army), the project he works on at his current employer required one. That employer has his interim clearance.

He was approached by another company that required a clearance. They verbally offered him the position but obviously he had to be cleared - during the process the potential new employer was unable to continue with the background checks/clearance because his current one has an 'interim' or hold I guess it sounds like on his current clearance.

He emailed me that the offer from new potential employer was retracted. All he said in the email to me was

" Current company name has my security clearance held as interim so if I leave the company it gets dropped. I can’t take the other position until my clearance is fully instantiated."

What does this mean for other future clearance jobs that he would like to apply for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 01:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
When you leave a job, your clearance is terminated. Period. No if's, and's or but's. It is usually valid to be renewed in a 30 to 90 day period under a variety of conditions.

Having a security clearance can give you a hiring preference with DOD contractors once you leave the military, as it saves them the expense of conducting one.

There are a lot of other factors involved, which make it more complex...

Old 09-14-2018, 01:53 PM

ok so the only time he can apply for another clearance job would be if he left his current employer?

Old 09-14-2018, 02:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
ok so the only time he can apply for another clearance job would be if he left his current employer?
No... Not necessarily...

He could start from scratch, apply for a job with an employer, and then they can start the security clearance process which will take time... They don't have to do that. That is just one possibility of many possibilities.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
No... Not necessarily...

He could start from scratch, apply for a job with an employer, and then they can start the security clearance process which will take time... They don't have to do that. That is just one possibility of many possibilities.
Thats what happened. the potential new employer started the process for his clearance but couldn't complete because of the one he currently holds with current employer, so they had to retract the offer from him...i'm guessing this will be the case for every other clearance jobs he gets an offer from, all because of current employer and his interim clearance

Old 09-14-2018, 03:06 PM

to add:

boyfriend joined company A in 2015 to work on a gov contract project and received an interim clearance.
Project ended earlier this year; I want to say around March.

He interviewed for company B, finds out that the project that he will be rolling onto in October is the project that company B also bidded for but lost the bid to company A.

He signed a non compete agreement - but he can't find his paperwork so he doesn't know exactly what he signed...

What he has been doing from project roll off until now is just basic ticket support work (he's a Java and C# developer).

When it comes to applying for other clearance jobs, is he in a bad spot - kinda feels like he's tied to company A no matter what...

Old 09-14-2018, 03:07 PM

to add:

boyfriend joined company A in 2015 to work on a gov contract project and received an interim clearance.
Project ended earlier this year; I want to say around March.

He interviewed for company B, finds out that the project that he will be rolling onto in October is the project that company B also bidded for but lost the bid to company A.

He signed a non compete agreement - but he can't find his paperwork so he doesn't know exactly what he signed...

What he has been doing from project roll off until now is just basic ticket support work (he's a Java and C# developer).

When it comes to applying for other clearance jobs, is he in a bad spot - kinda feels like he's tied to company A no matter what...

Old 09-14-2018, 04:46 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
he should contact Company A and find out when his clearance became inactive. Then contact his investigator with that information.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
he should contact Company A and find out when his clearance became inactive. Then contact his investigator with that information.
ok i no nothing about clearance but how does one know that their clearance is active or inactive? especially given the situation my boyfriend is in.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:57 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
When you leave a job, your clearance is terminated. Period. No if's, and's or but's. It is usually valid to be renewed in a 30 to 90 day period under a variety of conditions.

Having a security clearance can give you a hiring preference with DOD contractors once you leave the military, as it saves them the expense of conducting one.

There are a lot of other factors involved, which make it more complex...
Well, access to classified information is terminated, but the security investigation is still valid through its time limit.

A good while back, when I was still young and malleable, a Lockheed contractor offered me a job as a programmer. I told him I dabbled a bit in coding, but I wasn't really a programmer.

He said, "You already have a TOP SECRET clearance. It would cost us $80,000 to get a TOP SECRET clearance for a programmer, but it would only cost us $20,000 to teach you to program."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues