Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 03:15 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,040 times

Advertisements

I know among some, if you ain't sporting a right shoulder patch you don't have enough "street cred".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 03:26 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Our company lost a soldier to a training accident I feel that if an injury occurred while doing your job, even before graduation from a course then yes you are a veteran.
The thread is about "personally consider", so my post is my PERSONAL opinion.

I think the injured "recruit" should be compensated and he also deserves respect. Do I think he deserves VA health benefits?(maybe, but this is not what the thread is all about.)

However, he is not a veteran in my opinion only. The word veteran (in my opinion) has a requirement. (example: How long does a person serve, etc.)

Nothing personal.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:31 AM

961 posts, read 2,501,977 times
I remember seeing a recent article where an act was passed by Congress bestowing the word "Veteran" on any Guard/Reservist who earned a retirement by serving 20 qualifying years, even w/o active duty after initial training. It also mentioned this bestowed no additional benefits..just the courtesy to be called a Veteran.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:51 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
DD214 is the minimum.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:03 PM

950 posts, read 1,258,283 times
Well I always figured that if you served a certain number of years, regardless of whether you fought or not, you were considered a veteran. My dad was a veteran of three wars, WW2 , Korea and Viet Nam and spent 33 years in the military. 3 years Army Air Corps, 30 US Airforce. He was aprisioner of war of the germans in North africa and he also saw combat.He was a flight crew chief and air plane mechanic .Then when in Italy ,he got recruited to spy on Tito's partisans and that's how he got into intelligence work. During Viet Nam he was at the Alaskan Air Command and later he went to NSA. I remember my math teacher who was a member of the National Guard having to serve during the protests in Washington D.C. I considered my teacher a vet .

Old 11-05-2018, 02:23 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
I go by Golden Corrals requirements.

Q: Who is eligible for the free “thank you” dinner?
A: Any person who has served in the US Military (retirees, veterans, active duty, National Guard or Reserves).

Works for me.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:47 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Veteran: At least 1 HONORABLE enlistment.
Veteran/Retiree: 1 Honorable enlistment and the minimum time requirements for a military retirement compensation.
Medical Retiree: Minimum requirements for a military medical compensation. Use another form BESIDES the DD 214 if less than 1 honorable enlistment.
Prior Service: Anything less than 1 enlistment. Use another form BESIDES the DD214 which states the character of service and reason for separation.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:47 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
You’re a veteran if you qualify for veterans benefits, pretty simple there.

I’m sure there are exceptions for those who get injured in boot camp or technical training school who didn’t meet the 24 months (or enlistment) requirement

Old 11-06-2018, 09:58 PM

482 posts, read 242,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Title 38 defines a veteran as "...a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable."

There are obviously different levels in people's minds for what they consider a veteran.

Personally, I served 6 years in the National Guard with no activation and fall into that odd grey area of being honorably discharged, yet not having enough active service to really count as anything. I get tense when people thank me for serving mostly because I don't feel I did anything.

What is your own personal definition of a veteran regardless of Title 38?
You're a vet

You served in an armed service with the chance of being deployed or serving stateside missions. The National guard serves this country in times of disaster as well. Pretty clear cut for me.

Thank you for your service.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:01 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Prior Service: Anything less than 1 enlistment. Use another form BESIDES the DD214 which states the character of service and reason for separation.

That is incorrect. Prior service is simply someone who was once in the military and got out after his enlistment(s) without enough time to qualify for retirement. I served six years in the Marine Corps over two enlistments. When I joined the Air National Guard, I was considered prior service. I had two DD 214s from those two enlistments. Someone who does less than one enlistment may or may be considered prior service, depending on the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues