Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 09:28 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

This Veterans Day, veterans and active-duty military can take advantage of an extra day of deals.

As they do each year, restaurants are saluting veterans by offering free food and meal deals.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/1873990002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 11:07 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
I never understood this...while I appreciate the "saluting veterans", I would feel guilty (maybe embarrassed is a better word) taking these freebies as that is not why I served for nearly three decades.

There are people in need that can actually use a free meal. You don't need to give me a free meal to express your gratitude. I guess I'm weird as there are a ton of people that chase down these freebies and military discounts.

Regardless, I hope each of you that have served have an enjoyable and relaxing veterans day weekend. Thanks for your service!

Now that I'm a civilian I have to work every veterans day. Funny that I got this holiday off while I was on active duty (when not deployed or on duty) but now that I'm a "veteran" I have to work.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:01 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I never understood this...while I appreciate the "saluting veterans", I would feel guilty (maybe embarrassed is a better word) taking these freebies as that is not why I served for nearly three decades.

There are people in need that can actually use a free meal. You don't need to give me a free meal to express your gratitude. I guess I'm weird as there are a ton of people that chase down these freebies and military discounts.

Regardless, I hope each of you that have served have an enjoyable and relaxing veterans day weekend. Thanks for your service!

Now that I'm a civilian I have to work every veterans day. Funny that I got this holiday off while I was on active duty (when not deployed or on duty) but now that I'm a "veteran" I have to work.
Pull back the covers...………….those businesses get advertising this way, usually the vet brings a spouse or friend who does NOT get a discount therefore creating more business. Its like once a year.You do know that many places give a "senior" discount for people over 55 or 60. that is 365 days a year.Should old people feel guilty also?

Old 11-10-2018, 10:10 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Wife really wanted to go eat out together during one of those meal offers. Most of these restaurants only offer food from a very limited menu as free for the veteran. They make their money back because most times the veteran does not eat alone. He or she eats with friends and family who pay full price and they have potential returning customers. Also, some of these veterans are unsatisfied with the choices on the veteran’s menu and so choose something off the regular menu thus paying full price for the meal.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:32 AM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
Last year I took my husband to one restaurant serving free meals to vets and it turned out to be about more than just the food. It was busy and a lot of people sat around outside to wait for seating, and most of the men - who did not know each other - kicked into conversations about their military lives, and it was a hoot to sit back and listen to them all.

The restaurant provided a list of limited choices for the vets, but I ate something from the menu that cost a little more than I usually feel comfortable paying for, and I'm going to order it again. And the server was great, thus I gave him a good tip for it.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:18 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Last year I took my husband to one restaurant serving free meals to vets and it turned out to be about more than just the food. It was busy and a lot of people sat around outside to wait for seating, and most of the men - who did not know each other - kicked into conversations about their military lives, and it was a hoot to sit back and listen to them all.
I've not been to a free Veterans Day meal in several years but the conversations there can be extremely interesting. The last time I took the time to drive over to Lubbock to take part in a free Vet. Day free lunch, in the lines outside, I happened to meet a lead singer of a 1950s Hispanic musical group who is on the Buddy Holly - Hollywood Walk of Fame. Both being alone that day, we decided to eat together inside where we continued our discussion to the best of our abilities due to the other noisy chatter going on around us.

Oddly, it was not our shared veteran experiences that caused the meeting but our shared interest in Buddy Holly's music and my very limited knowledge of Harley Davidsons.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:24 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I've not been to a free Veterans Day meal in several years but the conversations there can be extremely interesting. The last time I took the time to drive over to Lubbock to take part in a free Vet. Day free lunch, in the lines outside, I happened to meet a lead singer of a 1950s Hispanic musical group who is on the Buddy Holly - Hollywood Walk of Fame. Both being alone that day, we decided to eat together inside where we continued our discussion to the best of our abilities due to the other noisy chatter going on around us.

Oddly, it was not our shared veteran experiences that caused the meeting but our shared interest in Buddy Holly's music and my very limited knowledge of Harley Davidsons.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:46 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Yeah, you guys are right and I'm not saying anyone is wrong for participating...as I said, I may be the weird one.

Maybe it is a money maker for them and not just a "salute to the troops".

Again, thanks to each of you that have served.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:09 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Yeah, you guys are right and I'm not saying anyone is wrong for participating...as I said, I may be the weird one.

Maybe it is a money maker for them and not just a "salute to the troops".

Again, thanks to each of you that have served.
back at ya...…….

Old 11-14-2018, 12:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
This Veterans Day, veterans and active-duty military can take advantage of an extra day of deals.

As they do each year, restaurants are saluting veterans by offering free food and meal deals.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/1873990002/
This is embarrassing..veterans get enough benefits as it is..no way i would ever take something like this. I mean where's your pride man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues