Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 02:57 PM

601 posts, read 458,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
Has anybody retired from the military and used the Post 9/11 GI Bill? I'm thinking retirement pay plus housing allowance makes for a pretty good cushion and allows you to pay all of your expenses and focus on school full time.
Heck yes. I went back to school for two years at age 28, and didn't work while using the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I lived in a studio apartment within walking distance to campus, so my fuel costs were very low. I had about $500/month for food and miscellaneous expenses. I lived pretty frugally and didn't go to any concerts etc that cost money. If I had like $2,000/month in retirement pay on top of that? I would have been loving life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 02:25 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,381 times
I certainly did. But the CoL in my area wasn't very high, and I was living with my fiancee who covered other expenses. My GI Bill money paid for the rent and utilities, and her income took care of other household things. We lived comfortably with savings to spare, but we definitely watched our spending.

Carefully figure the expenses in the area you plan to live, and weigh it against the number of classes you're willing to take per term/semester. If it's not enough, you can always find a part-time job.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:25 PM

857 posts, read 843,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I have the Post 9/11 GI Bill even though I used up my entire legacy GI Bill getting my Bachelor's degree.
I m confused how thats possible. One could switch from MG GI bill to post 9/11, depending on what time, etc was left but if legacy one was used up, according to va reps i spoken with, it wasnt possible to just get a 'replenishment.' I just used the lagacy one since it made more sense at the time.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:11 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I have the Post 9/11 GI Bill even though I used up my entire legacy GI Bill getting my Bachelor's degree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
I m confused how thats possible. One could switch from MG GI bill to post 9/11, depending on what time, etc was left but if legacy one was used up, according to va reps i spoken with, it wasnt possible to just get a 'replenishment.' I just used the lagacy one since it made more sense at the time.

The post 9/11 isn't a "replenishment", it's on top of what I had before, which was the original GI Bill, which I used up a long time ago. The only limitation is that you can only receive a total of 48 months of benefits. Since I already received 36 months of benefits under the original GI Bill, I can only get 12 months under the post 9/11 bill. I have a little over three years left to use it up, but I seriously doubt that I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues