Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 09:53 PM

423 posts, read 457,794 times

Advertisements

I’m coming up close to the end of my enlistment and it’s time to figure out what I’m gonna do when I get out(4 year, not re-enlisting, 22 years old)

So the local private university is something like $65k per academic year, after tuition and COL. sooo doesn’t the MGIB cap out just below 70k total? How does that work?

I’ll be going back to NY when I get out. Public state schools are tuition free now for residents, so how does that work out? Does MGIB still pay? Does 911 still pay BAH?

Is it possible to live off of MGIB/911 as a full time student i.e. not having to get a part time job? I’ll have a paid off car when I get out. Just wondering about housing and food lol. I just can’t see myself as a full time student and still working enough to pay rent/food bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 07:14 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
That's depending on your individual circumstances such as debt, bills, and lifestyle you want. You're only going to get probably between $800 and $1500 a month depending on your zip code. If you're talking NYC, I doubt you can live on it. They won't give you the cost of the local private school. They're going to pay your tuition and a living allowance. If Tuition is zero, you're just going to get the living allowance. The maximum allowed for a private school is Up to $23,671.94 per academic year National Maximum.

If you are going to school for free, use this to figure out how much you will get monthly. https://militarybenefits.info/bah-calculator/

Good luck

Old 11-20-2018, 07:31 AM

118 posts, read 141,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
I’m coming up close to the end of my enlistment and it’s time to figure out what I’m gonna do when I get out(4 year, not re-enlisting, 22 years old)

So the local private university is something like $65k per academic year, after tuition and COL. sooo doesn’t the MGIB cap out just below 70k total? How does that work?

I’ll be going back to NY when I get out. Public state schools are tuition free now for residents, so how does that work out? Does MGIB still pay? Does 911 still pay BAH?

Is it possible to live off of MGIB/911 as a full time student i.e. not having to get a part time job? I’ll have a paid off car when I get out. Just wondering about housing and food lol. I just can’t see myself as a full time student and still working enough to pay rent/food bills.
I used my post 911 gi bill abroad and am now using it at a school in Boston. Do you have the post 9/11 or MGIB?Yes you can live off of that but also depends on your spending. Check out the gi bill comparison tool here https://www.va.gov/gi-bill-comparison-tool and after you search for the school it'll let you know what the costs will be and how much bah you'll get. I attend a public school so i never had to utilize the yellow ribbon program which can be tricky. The comparison tool will let you know how much the VA will pay and what your costs would be out of pocket if it exceeds those costs.I take 5 classes a semester and even get the mandatory health insurance paid by the VA and still dont exceed costs.You shouldn't have any issues if attending a public school. It will also show you how much housing is but please note you only get that while enrolled in classes so a part time job would be ok if you want summers off.

The BAH rate here is pretty good but i did get a part time job to stay busy on my days off and in between semesters. I work at a brewery so its something i enjoy. Also apply for financial aid. Your tuition is paid for with the gi bill so if you get any grants the money is all yours. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:14 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
I do not believe you can live off the BAH. While it's true you'd get more for higher COL, I believe it balances out. I'm not sure if it was designed for you to live off of.

Your zip code would help.

Does your school participate in the Yellow Ribbon program? That would be key in getting all of private school paid for.

I believe to be eligible for Yellow Ribbon, you'll have to be 100% eligible for 36 months. Post 9/11 and YR are what's paying my way through an MBA at a private school which charges $1700/credit hour.

Don't forget you will also receive $250/quarterly book allowance. There are many more options for school books these days than when I did undergrad. You can rent texts for $25 on Amazon these days.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:10 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Yellow ribbon depends on the school. I attended one that gave all Veterans Yellow Ribbon. Another only gave Yellow Ribbon to 100 students out of 26,000 population.

There are a lot of good online resources to direct you to qualifying schools.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:03 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post

The Difference Between the Post 9-11 GI Bill and Montgomery GI Bill
Do you want to compare the difference Between the Post 9-11 GI Bill and Montgomery GI Bill?

Quote:
Before choosing which benefit is right for you, be sure to understand the difference between the Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits and Montgomery GI Bill. Compare the benefits carefully and choose which education benefits best suit your educational goals.
The Article Is At: https://www.gijobs.com/difference-be...omery-gi-bill/

Old 11-25-2018, 03:27 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
If be surprised if someone just finishing their 4 years didn’t have the Post 9/11.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:54 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
If be surprised if someone just finishing their 4 years didn’t have the Post 9/11.

I have the Post 9/11 GI Bill even though I used up my entire legacy GI Bill getting my Bachelor's degree.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:05 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
If you want extra income, you should also consider going to the reserves for a year via Palace chase. I have a friend who plans to do that.

Op, when is your date of separation?

Old 11-27-2018, 02:58 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,207 times
It's doable but won't be comfortable. You could always live in the next zip over from the school that is cheaper and your rent would be less. Rent a room instead of a whole apartment. There's things you could do . But it's also important to note the housing allowance is only when school is in session. So three-four months of the year, you wont get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues