Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2021, 07:33 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A Navy MH-60S Seahawk helicopter experienced “side-to-side” vibrations when it landed on the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln last week, causing its main rotor to strike the flight deck and the helicopter to crash over the side of the ship, according to a Navy safety report published Tuesday.

Five sailors on board the helicopter were killed. One helicopter crew member was rescued from the water. Five additional sailors on board the ship were injured in the crash; two were brought ashore for treatment.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...licopter-rotor

Quote:
The U.S. Navy Sunday identified the five crew members who were killed when an MH-60S Seahawk helicopter crashed into the sea off the coast of San Diego last week.

They are:

Lt. Bradley A. Foster, 29, a pilot from Oakhurst, California.

Lt. Paul R. Fridley, 28, a pilot from Annandale, Virginia.

Naval Air Crewman 2nd Class James P. Buriak, 31, from Salem, Virginia.

Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Sarah F. Burns, 31, from Severna Park, Maryland.

Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Bailey J. Tucker, 21, from St. Louis, Missouri.

https://timesofsandiego.com/military...n-diego-coast/

While I mourn the death of any service member in the line of duty, this was personal for me as I knew one of the pilots. A group of friends has been sharing and helping to coordinate fundraising efforts for the families involved, which I hope will help to relieve some immediate financial pressure that families are facing following the deaths of their loved ones.

I hope that whatever ultimately led to the cause of their horrific incident will be definitively and quickly identified so that additional families never have to experience such pain during peacetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 03:23 PM

Navy recovers the remains of 5x Sailors killed in helicopter crash.

Quote:
A search-and-salvage team has located and recovered – from a depth of 5,300 feet – the five crewmembers and MH-60S helicopter that crashed while operating on the flight deck of aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) on Aug. 31, the Navy announced Tuesday.
The Seahawk assigned to Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 8 was training with Lincoln at sea about 60 miles southwest of San Diego, Calif., when it “experienced side-to-side vibrations,” according to an initial Naval Safety Center summary report. The squadron is based at Naval Air Station North Island in Coronado, Calif.
https://news.usni.org/2021/10/12/nav...ght-operations

Depending on the time/date of funeral services for some of the deceased service members, I may try to travel to attend.

Old 10-14-2021, 05:01 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I can't even image being in a copter, going into the ocean. They were all so young.

Back in the 80's, one of our customers at my dad's gas and service station had lost their son when the copter he was in crashed into a mountain. He was young too. I believe he had just finished over there, was going to be coming back home.

Old 10-17-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I can't even image being in a copter, going into the ocean. They were all so young.

Back in the 80's, one of our customers at my dad's gas and service station had lost their son when the copter he was in crashed into a mountain. He was young too. I believe he had just finished over there, was going to be coming back home.
Thanks for your kind words, Roselvr. I'm still processing things and can't even begin to imagine how the families of these servicemen and women must be feeling even to this day (and how they will feel for the rest of their lives).

Incidents like this one just reinforce to me how precious life is and how we should strive to be good and happy, and to live life to the fullest.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:35 PM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Thanks for your kind words, Roselvr. I'm still processing things and can't even begin to imagine how the families of these servicemen and women must be feeling even to this day (and how they will feel for the rest of their lives).

Incidents like this one just reinforce to me how precious life is and how we should strive to be good and happy, and to live life to the fullest.

When your number is up, it's up. Such a freak accident. I don't know why some people die when they're younger. Would make more sense to me if it was all the people that do bad things like kill other people.

His loved ones will have to go on without him. Hopefully, his wife will talk to their child about her father and make sure his parents and family still see the child.

Old 10-18-2021, 12:32 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,700,020 times
God bless them. Hard, realistic training can be very dangerous.

Old 10-18-2021, 12:48 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,902,842 times
Service people don’t just die protecting their country in combat. Training exercises can be just as deadly. Rest In Peace for those who stand guard in peace and war against those who would do us harm.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:57 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,189,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Service people don’t just die protecting their country in combat. Training exercises can be just as deadly. Rest In Peace for those who stand guard in peace and war against those who would do us harm.
It’s shocking how often copters go down during training or even during transporting. Saddest news on earth to hear this. God rest their beautiful souls.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:54 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Very Sad - RIP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues